Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012: June 02, 2012 - June 03, 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012 - June 2 & 3 !!!  (Read 264597 times)

TugCowboy

Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012 - June 2 & 3 !!!
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »

Need to sort my diary out for 2012 and was wondering if any dates/venues for Mayhem had been pencilled in or thought about yet?

Shall I book extra windproof's for the last weekend in May as usual?

Alex

chingdevil

Re: Mayhem 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:53 pm »

We will know very shortly when Mayhem 2012 will be dates are being finalised, watch this space.

You might not need waterproofs :-X :-X :-X :-X

Brian

andyn

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:06:06 am »

Windproofs, windbreaks, anchors.....

You'll need the lot ;)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:36:50 am »

Quote from: chingdevil link=topic=33825.msg334315#msg3343 >:-o15 date=1321396493
We will know very shortly when Mayhem 2012 will be dates are being finalised, watch this space.

Brian
Does that mean we'll need a passport to get there if guaranteed sunshine? %)

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »

I never mentioned guaranteed sunshine, I was thinking more along the lines of thermals :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »

I always come prepared, shorts, thermals, skis, wetsuit, parachute, you name it... O0

TugCowboy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:58 am »

Sounds novel but I always find model boating more enjoyable when near water of some description  %) {-) {-)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:10 pm »

We awaiting confirmation as we speak... but it looks like Wicksteed June 2, 3 2012

We is also gonna be bettera horgigized for next year so we'll be looking for a few volunteers to help organize etc.

Events/Schedule  organiser
Traders organizer
Publicity
Frequency control
Tea / coffee / dinner ladies
Park Parking....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

Sounds good Martin. I'll probably come down on the Friday anyway if we can. I don't mind helping set up or doing something to help out over the weekend, I'm trained 1st aider/responder too. (and swiftwater rescuer too if anyone falls in {-)) Dave.  :-))

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »

so i have to get my  new motor cruiser model  finished by june now.........UMMMM ? {:-{
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

TugCowboy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »

Sounds great Martin,

Wouldn't mind turning my hand to Schedule/Events if you hadn't already someone in mind?

Alex

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »

Main events:

Big Duck race / slalom / chase / fight!
Straight Running ( anything including RC but you can't use the rudder .. obviously! )

Dress code - Lifeboatmen & Sowesters!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

Looking forward to the mighty duck race, mines under top secret construction in the hermetically sealed lab (or garage). Maiden voyage to be done under the cover of darkness at an undisclosed location, or in the bath maybe. O0

PS. That means I've got 2 lifeboats to build, 1 to refurbish, an MMB tug to finish, the 8ft supertanker/container ship and of course the mighty duck....... %%

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »

We awaiting confirmation as we speak... but it looks like Wicksteed June 2, 3 2012

We is also gonna be bettera horgigized for next year so we'll be looking for a few volenteers to help organize etc.

Events/Schedual  organizer
Traders organizer
Frequency control
Park Parking....

This is not a good weekend to have the mayhem event as there will be so much eles going on that weekend with the Queens celebrations. If it is going to be on this weekend I for one will not be able to make it!!! :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( + how many punters (genral public) will be around????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:55:32 pm »

I think next year's going to be very busy whatever weekend is chosen with the Olympics and so forth. Perhaps a lot of people will just be glad of a break from it all? I know I for one will be. The only 'boating' related clash I can see is that it's the East Midlands Lifeboat Day in Leicestershire on Sunday 3rd. Dave.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »

Anne and mark Phillips, went camping
Charles and do played cricket
William and Kate, went.   Sailing then a n nice meal
The theme is let the women do that stuff, and I will do something I want, cos its quiet!
Mayhem will be the same if it clashes, will be there having fun!

Let me know if you want a hand organising anything
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

richtea

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:27 pm »

We is also gonna be bettera horgigized for next year so we'll be looking for a few volunteers to help organize etc.

Events/Schedule  organiser
Traders organizer
Publicity
Frequency control
Park Parking....

Never tried parking a park before,
must see that one

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »

Evening Richard!! 
:embarrassed:

CF-FZG

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:58 pm »

Anne and mark Phillips, went camping

Nice for them, but won't Tim have something to say ok2

Mark.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:10 pm »

As I have previously said to Martin, I think Mayhem has reached the point where it needs a bit of more formal organisation to get the most from the event. While it's great to just turn up and launch, the  resulting free for all, not to mention a few collisions, meant that I dared not risk my relatively fragile scale models on the water which was rather disappointing.

Wicksteed is large enough to  separate out the more robust models from the more vulnerable ones and it should not be difficult to do this. Maybe a scale steering course at one end for the general scale models and a less restricted ara at the other for those models which want to show off their paces and maybe take the consequences!

Colin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

Colin has raized a valid point. Sadly there is a conflict with diffrent sized boats. Even the wash from a bigger boat can sink a small boat, to say nothing about being hit.The answer should be strict control over whats sailing and when. John.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 06:18:00 pm »

Why not consider having an area marked off with buoys for the more vulnerable boats to sail in?
I've seen before a fair sized area sectioned off using lengths of floating drainpipe, this worked quite well and also kept the cordoned area of water relatively calm and flat for smaller boats. Just an idea that maybe worth looking at. Dave.  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »

From what I have seen, the end of the Wicksteed lake nearest the entrance seems to have the largest waves if the wind is blowing - which it often is.

From a personal point of view, what I would like to see is an area for the more sedate scale boats, maybe at the far end of the lake, which has a simple course and some docking features etc. which would enable scale boats to show off their paces without conflicting with the more exciting stuff. The far end of the lake does tend to be rather under utilised as most of the action usually takes place at the entrance end so this would spread the models around a bit and make maximum use of the water area.

Rather than make course obstacles specially, maybe some of the supporting clubs could bring along things that they use on their own waters, bearing in mind that Wiksteed is a constant depth.

Yes, all this needs a bit of organising but the usual turnout shows that there are plenty of people available who can help in both the preliminary planning and on the day. Their talents just need to be tapped. In the past there has been a bit of an imbalance between the large numbers who simply turn up to enjoy themselves and the few who actually stage the event, including the sterling and perhaps under appreciated efforts of the local Wicksteed club.

The Mayhem gathering has now got past the point where a general free for all is acceptable. A Steering Committee needs to be set up to work in partnership with the Wicksteed Club to really make the most of the weekend for everyone.

I would also suggest that attendees be invited to contribute to the cost on a voluntary basis as last year a very small group were landed with the bill which seems a bit unfair to me.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »

Some very sensible suggestions there Colin............I like the cut of your jib!!!!

Am planning to attend this next year - just hope I can have something ready to display!!!!! (The ferry for instance???).

As for costs......this clearly needs to be looked at on a serious level - we cannot have 'the few' covering the costs for 'the many'.  I dont think it should be run for profit - that would take away the 'fun' element, but if an SC is set up, the costs evaluated in a sensible timeframe, then all who attend can be informed of what the 'entry donation' is likely to be.

Sure, there may be a few who will baulk at the idea of paying to get in................but the argument here is not like at Beale Park (for instance) where the added attraction of sailing boats bring in more punters to pay on the gate to get in to an already commercial venture.

I fully support your ideas Colin...
Carl

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

I think most people attending won't mind donating to the cost of holding the event. Perhaps people could bring along unwanted boats related items and let them be offered for sale at the show, bring and buy? I'm sure we've all got bits and bobs that we aren't going to use, I know I have and don't mind putting some stuff for sale in my gazebo with the proceeds going towards the costs.
What about the old favourites like a raffle, perhaps it's worth approaching some of the traders that attend seeing if they'd like to 'donate' something to raffle/auction off??  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.