Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012: June 02, 2012 - June 03, 2012
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012 - June 2 & 3 !!!  (Read 264969 times)

chingdevil

Re: Mayhem 2012
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

We have got off to a good start with the voulunteers, now to a tricky subject Funding the Event.

My thought was to have a ticket system, brought before the day through the forum for the majority of attendees covering the entire weekend, if you come for only one day again the ticket is brought through the forum at a different cost. Those just turning up on the day pay Martin. Cost I think £5.00 full weekend, £2.50 for one day or on the day.
This sounds a bit crude at the moment, but it is an idea

Does anyone else have an idea how the funding of the event could be achieved, without someone standing on gate asking for money, as I am not sure the park would allow this.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:09 am »

Brian,

Do you have a budget for the event, i.e. how much do you need to spend?

I'm not sure that having a ticket system is the way to go as at some point it would need to be bought/checked. Who is going to do that and when? People are coming and going all the time to the car park, toilets, other park facilities and the general public also have access to the lake so you can't have a barrier. I suppose you could go to the control tent and have the 'Mark of Mayhem' inked on your forhead or some other accessible part of your anatomy but I think that even this is unnecessary.

Personally I think you can count on the vast majority of Mayhem attendees to be supportive without a formal system. By all means stipulate target entry fee for the event, either one or two days but then invite people to send in donations beforehand and for those who don't want to or are unsure if they are coming, provide a collecting tin at the control tent. I am sure that very few, if any attendees would not pay by one method or the other, certainly not enough to worry about in any event. Reminders could be put up at the control tent and made over the PA.

As I have said previously, I would be very happy to make an upfront donation of at least £5 even though at this stage I've got only a 50/50 chance of attending. I'm sure I'm not alone and that those who definitely know they are coming won't mind contributing in advance.

Also don't provide things like tea and coffee free. People should be expected to make a donation to cover the costs of any such communal facilities if they choose to use them.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »

Just a thought here - do with it what you will..........................

How much does it cost to produce water-slide decals on the home computer?
Does one of the 'organisers' have this ability? (I dont at the moment unfortunately).

How about producing a 'commemorative' decal - only available to those who make the 'donation' - that can be proudly added to, i dont know, a model display case???? That way, the subliminal message is 'I have a decal - I have made my contribution'.....

Each year the decal can be subtly altered (the year/date?).

Just an idea..............hopefully a cheap one.....
Carl

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »

Brian don't think you could do what you are suggesting at all. If you start to charge for entry to the event then Wicktead Park Model Boat Club would defiantly not be amused let alone  The Wickstead Park Authorities.In MY OPINION it is defiantly a NO GO.

As far as a budget to run an event like this is concerned it is very Difficult to predict,when I ran the North Wales Model Boat rally was concerned I know for a fact it used to cost MYSELF well over £300 now Steam boat Phil was another organiser of the event and I don't know how much he spent,and like this event I was NOT allowed to charge Addmission.

I hear you asking what is involved in the costs etc to run an event
Fuel for the Generator
Advertising
Printing costs
Postage costs
Fuel to and from an event
Various Class prizes and silly happening prizes
Insurance
Event Hardware(rope,buoys etc)
Buying Gazebos
Wood for tables
Fuel for Barbies
Complementary food
Tea and Coffe ,milk and busuits
So running an Event is not cheap at all.

Dave

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »

Ask EACH trader for an upfront donation to help fund the event !!!!!
If each trader gave for example £40 each to attend as a DONATION then 10 traders that would be £400 that would go a long way to pay for trophy's etc

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »

Dave, some of those things are not essenial:

Buying Gazebos
Wood for tables
Fuel for Barbies
Complementary food
Tea and Coffe ,milk and busuits
People can pay for those on the day.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 09:43:09 am »

Oh Dear one and all.....
You are all running before learning to walk....
So lets get things straight   (ha as it were)
First, Let us have confirmation that we are able to have use of the Lake at Wicksteed for the dates suggested
Second: Do the dates work for most folk
Third Stop being concerned about floats, roped off areas, how deep the water is etc, do all these stop you running boats where you are....I thought not.  it will be sorted on the day.
Fourth. Cost of event.....nothing........... so stop trying to put a price on it. You come along ...you run a boat...simple.
Purchase Mayhem swag......
Insurance I have sorted.
I sponsor tea and coffee  so no cost involved......donations to mayhem always welcome
Printing.....signs etc.....we all have printers

So there are the basics

Now book the weekend off  (and build a straight running boat)   :-)) :-))

Steamed up all the time

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 10:03:30 am »

Well put phil  :-))
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 10:17:01 am »

Phil - the only concern I had with depth was for the anchors for the harbour...................

Nowt else....................chilled.......................building..........................aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Carl

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2011, 10:34:24 am »

Dont worry Carl it only comes up to my knees and the white part of my boat (see pic above)   O0
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2011, 10:59:25 am »

Well done sir! 

........ Phil's had some strong coffee today!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 11:04:34 am »

There must be something in the coffee ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Brian

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:38 am »

There must be something in the coffee ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Brian

is it a little blonde barmaid from the warwickshire area ? {-)
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 01:18:14 pm »

What ever happened to once bitten twice shy Phil ?
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

richtea

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »

What ever happened to once bitten twice shy Phil ?

That all depend's on what she was biting ?  ;)

The long Build

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2011, 01:29:56 pm »

Straight !! :}

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 02:42:43 pm »

Oh Dear one and all.....
You are all running before learning to walk....
So lets get things straight   (ha as it were)
First, Let us have confirmation that we are able to have use of the Lake at Wicksteed for the dates suggested
Second: Do the dates work for most folk
Third Stop being concerned about floats, roped off areas, how deep the water is etc, do all these stop you running boats where you are....I thought not.  it will be sorted on the day.
Fourth. Cost of event.....nothing........... so stop trying to put a price on it. You come along ...you run a boat...simple.
Purchase Mayhem swag......
Insurance I have sorted.
I sponsor tea and coffee  so no cost involved......donations to mayhem always welcome
Printing.....signs etc.....we all have printers

So there are the basics

VERY WELL PUT Phil. AND THANKS :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »

You come along ...you run a boat...simple.

Phil, that's just what I wanted to do this year - but it wouldn't have lasted five minutes! Either it would have been run over or upended by a sub coming up underneath it. There were far too many collisions - OK if you are running a big solid lump but not otherwise.

I certainly don't want to see vast expenditure or over regimentation but I think we do need a bit more organisation and dare I say it DISCPLINE  <*< :police: :police: so that everyone has an enjoyable day. To do that we need to use all the lake and not just the half at the entrance end which is what tends to happen. Separating out the vulnerable minnows from the big boys and speed merchants will help things no end in my view.

Like it or not, Mayhem is now quite a sizable event and has gone way beyond a few mates having an informal sailing session. We need to recognise this whilst still maintaining the party atmosphere that we all enjoy.

Colin

andyn

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »

Strange that I ran a submarine for nearly 14 hours that weekend and never crashed into anything....

The old saying that seems to happen to me quite a lot comes to mind... Sorry mate, didn't see you.....

Andy ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »

You mean this one Andy? I think most people could see it coming.....

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »

There was a couple of bumps and crashes when I sailed the sub as I wasn't used to sailing in 3D...... I managed to hit the bottom and side of the lake quite a few times, in fact I was getting really good at it!!! {-) {-)

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »

Colin
As Phil has said today.
We need to check IF we can book the lake and when.
All this detail stuff can be shorted out after 1 we have a lake, 2 where it is,  3 what date .
Until that bit is shorted out WE HAVE NOT GOT A MEETING.
It strikes me no one from Wicksteed MBC has made any input here so maybe we could be putting them into corrner they do not want to be in next year.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »

As many of you will know the Weymouth show is not going to be next year for all shorts of very good resons. Why not hold a Mayhem weekend around what would have been there weekend in July. Maybe if it was held in the right place Traders, model boaters slow, fast, scale, hydro, steam etc could combine with all the boaters that will miss out on there Weymouth Hit next year.
If you want to move the Mayhem up in the world then lets go for the top. 200 boats , 40 traders , and loads of public buy up Model boating.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »

As Phil has said today.
We need to check IF we can book the lake and when.

Bill,

Like everyone else, I was simply picking up on Martin's earlier post. Actually July would be better for me personally as we are frequently away during the Mayhem weekend.

Wicksteed is popular with most people due to it's location and facilities. Obviously the ban on IC is unfortunate but I don't think the intemperate comments last year helped the situation. I don't think the lake is suitable for full blown IC or speed events but I suspect something might have been sorted out on a demo basis if a more constructive approach had been adopted.

If the IC ban has to stay then that is a shame but the majority of model boaters don't run IC boats and the interests of the majority will have to take precedence.

Colin

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »

I enjoyed this year's Mayhem as it was, so I will arrange to be there whatever date's it is. As for 200 boats and 40 trader's, no thanks. The reason I enjoyed this year so much was, being able to talk to nearly everyone there. I don't want an huge event where the spirit that was so evident this year would be lost. While my main hobby is model boats, I would be quite prepared to make the 650 odd mile return trip without any boats for the atmosphere that was at this years meeting. I can sail my boats a lot closer to home if that was all that counted. My main reason for a return trip next year would be to enjoy the same friendly event as this year and not to be lost in the crowd.
If it ain't broke it ain't mine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.