Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PENLEE LIFEBOAT DISASTER  (Read 8092 times)

nhp651

PENLEE LIFEBOAT DISASTER
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:32:35 am »

When you tuck yourselves up in bead tonight, .........................say a prayer for all sea fairers, and especially the lads and lasses from the RNLI, who are going out when all others are making for shelter!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg

Patrick Henry

Re: COZY IN BED TONIGHT
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:16:41 pm »

Well said Neil, those guys deserve all the help they can get...

Rich

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »

I also agree with that!!!
what a superb piece of film though.

Peter

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:35:10 pm »

Thanks Neil, most 'enjoyable', and brought back many fond memories, oh to be there again ----------

Peter

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:18 pm »

hear us when we cry to thee for those in peril on the sea

alan rushbrook

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »

On the 19th. of December it will be 30 years since the Penlee lifeboat Solomon Browne was lost at sea with all its crew and 4 crew that it had managed to take off the coaster Union Star. I can remember the shock I felt at the loss of 8 brave men from that small fishing comunity. I think what made it more personnel to me was that we had spent a week's holiday the previous  August in that part of Cornwall and had driven past the lifeboat station on several occasions.
So lets say a prayer for the safety of all those that risk their lives at sea to save those in danger, and to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice may they rest in peace.

Alan R

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »

It angers me that Lifeboatmen and Mountain Rescue teams are taken for granted by the very fools who needlessly place themselves in dangers they are completely unprepared for and often have been warned against  <*<

Dave

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »

Sadly the reported death of a young women left in a mine shaft for eight hours because of health and safety makes me wonder how long it will be before the RNLI is taken over and resricted by jobsworths? John.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »

Wasn't that the fire brigade John?
oh and I'm a safety rep by the way  %)

Dave

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »

Incredible filming - brought back memories .... I don't want to go back  :-)

Imagine going to work in those seas in a tiny lifeboat - I salute you guys!

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 08:58:48 pm »

Dave. You are correct that it was our gallent?Firebrigade Who stood by and left the lady to die. Im sure that many safety officers would have allowed a rescue. Sadly this lady got the one who could only quote a rule book.I hope he can sleep at night with her death on his concious.John.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »

Thanks U-33.......http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg ......   the footage here suggests approx Force 9 = 7m waves

Many years ago I had the pleasure of being onboard HMAS Perth [DDG 4700 tonnes] on our OZ eastern seaboard in a confirmed Force 7 squall = 4m waves.........& punching through the waves during post refit engine trails @ 30+ knots ......the images or view from the bridge was very similar to that shown in the link....literally I could see next to nothing  :o

The PO's mess was above the no1 engine shaft tunnel & during dinner we could hear the turbine unload when the PORT prop cavitated  :embarrassed: partially out of the water  >>:-( <*< ............Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »

John it was more likely to have been a leading officer than a rep' who said no. Probably with an eye to some form of political correctness or worse 'current thinking is'. I bet the lads were willing to try.

I want to bring back something Neil said in the first post 'going out when all others are making for shelter' I recall a firemans strike here and the politicians giving it loads (though they had caused it). Link to that  - just around then was 9/11 and the only people running towards those towers was firemen and police officers, with not a beeping politician in site. My thoughts turned to how many times our firemen put their lives on the line but were/are being reduced in numbers by political pressure.

The emergency services are paid but that takes nothing from their individual acts of bravery. Volunteer Lifeboatmen and Mountain Rescue teams are admirable in their generosity and bravery too. So Neil's wish to pray for these guys (and gals) is spot on, and if anyone isn't a believer, a caring thought is just as good ............ but not as good as stumping up for the collection box  O0

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:13 am »

Today, December 10th, 2011 is the 125 anniversary of the greatest disaster in RNLI history, when the 3 boats of Southport, Lytham and St Annes on Sea went out in the early hours to rescue the crew of the German Barque MEXICO.
Both the Southport and the St Annes boat were overwhelmed and 27 lifeboat men brave and true didn't come back.
Lest we forget, say a prayer for them and all Lifeboat crew tonight when you go to bed and listen to the wind and rain rattle on the windows.
God bless them all!!
neil.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
PENLEE LIFEBOAT DISASTER
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:34 am »

At between 8pm and 9pm this evening, it will be 30 years to the day that the Penlee Lifeboat,the "SOLOMON BROWNE", was lost with all her crew,in the most horrendous of conditions. Attempting to rescue the crew of the ship the "Union Star" which had broken down and heading ever nearer to the rocks off the coast of Cornwall. In one instance the Lifeboat had been thrown up onto the deck of the cargo ship,and slid off again. A message on the radio from the Coxswain of the Lifeboat stated "We have gor four off,and we are going in again" NOTHING more was heard of the Lifeboat.The American Helicopter Rescue Pilot,on scene at the time,said "They were the most Heroic men I have ever seen"  At the small village of Mousehole, and of nearby Newlyn, from where the Valiant crew came,most if not all either knew or were related.
In these hard times, with the RNLI,not generating the donations needed to keep this wonderful service going, I ask that you please remember these brave men, and perhaps donate a little more to a much needed Service.
 We Will Remember Them.
Thank You.   
Mick

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PENLEE LIFEBOAT DISASTER
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:39:56 am »

Was down there on Saturday for the Xmas Lights switch on.  Saw the old lifeboat station which is  kind of a memorial now, strange feeling seeing the station and thinking of all those brave men that left there 30 years ago.
Still very much in everybodys memory down there.
The Xmas lights will be turned off tonight between 8 and 9 as a mark of respect.
Big donation went to the RNLI. They are worth their weight in gold

cuppa

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

At between 8pm and 9pm this evening, it will be 30 years to the day that the Penlee Lifeboat,the "SOLOMON BROWNE", was lost with all her crew,in the most horrendous of conditions. Attempting to rescue the crew of the ship the "Union Star" which had broken down and heading ever nearer to the rocks off the coast of Cornwall. In one instance the Lifeboat had been thrown up onto the deck of the cargo ship,and slid off again. A message on the radio from the Coxswain of the Lifeboat stated "We have gor four off,and we are going in again" NOTHING more was heard of the Lifeboat.The American Helicopter Rescue Pilot,on scene at the time,said "They were the most Heroic men I have ever seen"  At the small village of Mousehole, and of nearby Newlyn, from where the Valiant crew came,most if not all either knew or were related.
In these hard times, with the RNLI,not generating the donations needed to keep this wonderful service going, I ask that you please remember these brave men, and perhaps donate a little more to a much needed Service.
 We Will Remember Them.
Thank You.   
Mick

Very well said Sir! The dedication and selflessness of our lifeboat crews and indeed all RNLI staff and their families is something that we, as a nation, should be very proud of and they deserve our support and respect.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »

We appear to have two topics running on this subject, could we not get a moderator to combine the two ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »

being  a ex  fisherman!  you have a lot of faith in the lifeboat & crews  hats of to you guys  you go out in allsorts of foul weather!! to help all on the sea!!

i will be having a minute silence  for the loss of penlee lifeboat  tonight at 8pm

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:41:14 am »

This is one more thing this forum has done for me, is to make me aware & bring home how selfless some of our fellow neighbours ,countrymen & women are in very difficult times, RNLI deserve ALL the support that they require & that we can give them. Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:24 am »

Watched the program tonight... must make another RNLI donation.

http://www.rnli.org.uk/how_to_support_us/donate

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:09 am »

I think watching that brought a lump to all of our throats......

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »

It still  brings a lump to my throat also,even after 30 years.One of the  relatives of a crew member,Janet,is still a stalwart fund raiser for the RNLI,a lovely Lady.
              the old Lifeboat itself is still left as a memorial to those very brave men,with its little garden of remembrance.There is also a memorial in Truro Cathedral,in the form of a jackstaff,made from a small piece of the wreckage of the Solomon Browne,with an RNLI FLAG hanging from it,and a descriptive plaque.
Mick

dave301bounty

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »

Yes  I was telling the chap from Fleetwood about the book regarding the Penlee Disaster  ,time flies ,,lots of very sad memories lost a mate or two ..make one very humble that does .

nhp651

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:23 pm »

yes, dave.
the"chap from fleetwood" bought it on Amazon last night.
thanks for the title.
I was fine, watching the prog, until the radio went suddenly quiet after the coxs reported that they had got four off and were going in for the other four....... then the tears flowed........
what incredibly brave men......they will always be remembered!
cheers, neil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.