Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What yacht  (Read 5092 times)

Mansfield_Marauder

What yacht
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »

I know there is loads on this web site about what boat to start with and more i read the more confused I get. First consideration is whatever boat I get it's got to fit in a Honda Jazz. second it can't cost more than about £130. As for building I've never built a yacht but have considered scratch building a Schooner, crazy or what. Your opinions please?

CF-FZG

Re: What yacht
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:08:54 pm »

Thunder Tiger Victoria :-))

About £100 for the kit and it defo goes in a Jazz, (guy at the club has Fiesta and that fits in a Jazz.

Mark

exvtop

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »

The standard reply is if you are a member of, or intend to join a club, take advice from other members and get what most of them sail.
Much more fun sailing with others than on your own.
Failing that, the Thunder Tiger Victoria would be ideal.
Reasonably easy to build and lots of information on the Web. Look at http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Step-by-Step.html for starters. You don't HAVE to do everything they suggest, but the advice about strengthening the fin and mast area definitely worth doing.
Goes in almost any car and doesn't need much depth of water.
Might cost slightly more than £130 including radio and servos, although second hand 40Mz radios should be pretty cheap.
Get the best sail servo you can afford.
Good luck,
Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:54 am »

I have a Victoria. I love it. Easy to handle, it will even sit upright/but canted forward, in the floor well in the back seat area of a car.

I made no mods at all.

Budget of 130 is difficult.
With most boats you need to also buy a sail winch/arm servo and a radio.
However, do not be tempted to go the RTR route, as I have yet to see a budget RTR sail boat that sails at all well.
There is an RTR Micromagic, but they are probably outside your budget.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:04 am »

The Thundertiger Victoria seems to be the best boat for it's size and budget. Don't be put off if you have to spend a little bit more though!!

The reason I say that is because sailing model yachts is a lot of fun. I recently bought my first ever model yacht a Monsoon 900 (too big for a Jazz) with the idea that they are cheap and big and I didn't know if I would like sailing so i didn't want to spend big bucks on something I might not even like. Well I did. A lot. So much so that I am now working with a friend of mine (who designed and help build Black Magic) on a International One Metre for racing. I would never buy another cheap Chinese RTR yacht (heli's yes) because sailing is so much fun you are better off getting something decent and reliable and most importantly something easy and fun to sail.

The Victoria seems to be ideal. So if getting one of these with a decent set of servos and cheap 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver means you have to spend a touch more than £130 it will be money well spent. You will only be dissapointed otherwise when you go sailing and even the pond weed sails better than you boat...

Jonny

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:36 pm »

Not sure how much you chaps know about a very popular boat here in the US that goes under the name Nirvana ll. It has been very successful in the United States and in other parts of the world to. I have seen very little discussion on it on this forum.

Here in the States this boat enjoys the reputation of being one of, if the best starter boat. The Nirvana represents a design that has been distilled down to the most basic form, a functioning RC sailboat that has incorporated just about every criterion one would want in an RC Yacht of this type and size. The boat’s features include, but not limited to are: an attractive appearance, simple to assemble and fast to break down for transport to and from the pond or lake. The Nirvana is durable, provides it’s Skipper with trouble free operation, and is simple enough for a beginner to sail and complex enough to maintain the interest of advanced sailors alike. They can be sailed successfully in a wide range of wind and weather conditions and will provide fun for years to come without any additional expense. Not to mention they can be purchased at a very reasonable price, and they have excellent resale value.
  History shows that most folks that buy them, keep them for years, often hand them down to a family member, off-spring or to a friend so they can share in the fun. The Nirvana is a recognized AMYA one design racing class and is raced around the world by many RC sailing clubs. One of the larger clubs is located here in Southern California having about 100 boats registered. There are many wonderful RC Yachts out there,including the Victoria, but few if any that can provide the same total value to their owners.
To find out more about these boats go to http://sailrc.com/sailrcnirvana/Nirvana_Store.html

SPECS:
Length: 32"
Beam (Width): 7.75"
Height: 64"
Weight: 5.5lbs
Sail Area: 525"
Sailing Speed: 6 knots (7mph, 11kph)
Top Wind Speed: 20 knots (23mph, 37kph)

Approximate Cost: $260.00 USD

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:54 am »

Not sure how much you chaps know about a very popular boat here in the US that goes under the name Nirvana ll. It has been very successful in the United States and in other parts of the world to. I have seen very little discussion on it on this forum.

I looked at buying a Nirvana as a first boat, as I read good reports. And the model is ARTR
But I couldn't source one.

I bought a Victoria as I could find one, and have been happy with it.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:29:32 am »

TigerTiger
If you ever get the urge for a Nirvana, this site has them and will ship just about anywhere on the planet.
 http://sailrc.com/sailrcnirvana/Nirvana_Store.html ships

I have a good number of RC sailboats far more sophisticated, but year after year I continue to enjoy sailing my Nirvana.

There is very attactive sailboat forum and Nirvana thread at rcgroups.com. Current views/hits on the Nirvana forum number over 153,000
to date. That is an active forum. I think the IOM is the only one that has more.

Worth a visit - All are welcomed
Winchaser

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:30:34 am »

Thx

grldtnr

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 12:27:08 pm »

I bought a Surmont 800 from  'Howes' models ,Kidlington,Oxon. >www.howesmodels.co.uk< as a almost ready model, just had to rig the mast & sails, fits in the back of my Skoda Octy with no problems.sails pretty well too,considering I also sail full size dinghys & yachts.

As a newcomer to model yachts, one word of advice, dont be tempted to derig it too put it in the car, I found out that the short drive to the boat pond that the stays got entangled and knotted,so had to go home too re rig, very,very ,annoying >>:-(

Have since been advised to re rig with fine wire or fishing line with proper turnbuckles so that the rig can be stored in a 'quiver' along with a shorter set for stronger winds, which begs another question ,where do you get these turnbuckles and finne wire ? 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:13:54 pm »

http://www.nylet.co.uk/

Everything you need from Frank Parsons at Nylet

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.