Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: fiesta  (Read 9226 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
fiesta
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:01:25 pm »

i am thinking of buying a fiesta kit has anybody on here built one and do they sail well they seem a nice size as a iom seems a little large thanks for any help  slug

CF-FZG

Re: fiesta
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

I'm building one :-))

My local club, (Oxford Model Boat Club), race them.  I had a go of the chairman's Fiesta before I ordered mine, and it's really easy to sail :-))

Mark.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:22:12 am »

There is a kit review here
http://fiestayachts.homestead.com/Review.html

It would also be really nice is someone wants to do a build log on here. :-))
Don't worry if you are not a master builder, a log is a good place to pose questions when/if you get stuck.With a build log, your answers will come thicker and faster.

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:08 am »

I got a lot of really good help, tips and advice when I recently built my Monsoon and did a build log on here. And we all like looking at other peoples models!

Jonny

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »

I just bought a secondhand one.  I need to replace the rudder servo, but otherwise it seems fine.

What do you do about hatches?  I'm using the term loosely.  The previous owner just put Fablon (sticky backed plastic) over the holes in the deck. Is that normal?  I'd like at least one hole to be easy access for the battery and receiver, preferably the one in front of the mast, but there's an adjustable line (bit of string) that runs across the hole on the left hand side, close to the deck, that secures the boom for the jib, so I either need to make just half of it a hatch, or run that bit of string somewhere else.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:34 pm »

The 'hatches' are, as you say, bits of fablon, (other types of sticky-back plastic are available :-)), and there should be what looks like a '35mm film container' which contains a 3-position switch and a charging socket, which allows the battery to be left in the boat and charged through the socket and switch :-))

The radio tray has a 'shelf' for the Rx and 2 servos, the 4.8v battery pack is ideally split into 2 x 2 AA cell to fit around the keel box.

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:27:43 am »

Hi Mark,

Mine just has a two position switch that breaks the red wire in a long servo extension, and no film cannister.

The socket end of the extension was connected to a 4xAAA battery pack, but that had corroded right up to the plug, so I've taken that out, and will probably need to replace the extension too (which I've also taken out for now, along with the switch).  I guess that was plugged into the receiver when it was in use and the charging process involved replacing the fablon - maybe it can be restuck a few times, I don't know.

Ideally, I want to be able to change the battery pack and crystal easily.  I'd pictured putting the receiver in front of the mast, but I'm not sure where I'd route the antenna for a 40MHz receiver (which is my preference).  It apparently had a receiver next to the servos, yes.  I guess the antenna came out of the stern somewhere - possibly through one of two grommets set into the stern, and went up the aft stay, if that's the right term (adjustable bit of string at the back that runs to the top of the mast).

Hopefully I won't run into someone else on the same channel too often, so just taking some fablon with me could be the answer for crystal swapping.  I'd still like a hatch for battery access though.  I'm not going to race it, I just want to sail it for two or three hours at a time. Swapping packs every now and then seems best.

I picture a small tupperware box, or similar, maybe with the bottom cut out, probably set into the larger hole in front of the mast.  I'm not too sure how to seal round it at the moment though, and it will have to be quite a small box, unless I cut the hole in the deck bigger.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:15:38 am »

when i made my wee nip ( not the same i know but still a sail boat ) i used a small food container with a screw top from the local pound store , to house both my  rx and battery pack . the " hatches " were covered with some clear " fablon " from wilkinsons . the two leads from the servos were fed into the side of the plastic food pot through a small hole drilled into it and back sealed with silicone . hope this helps ? where in the country are you there may be another sailor whos local to you ! jon

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:06:06 am »

The socket end of the extension was connected to a 4xAAA battery pack, but that had corroded right up to the plug, so I've taken that out, and will probably need to replace the extension too (which I've also taken out for now, along with the switch).  I guess that was plugged into the receiver when it was in use and the charging process involved replacing the fablon - maybe it can be restuck a few times, I don't know.

I'd recommend replacing the dead pack with Eneloops - AA size 2000mAh, (I have no faith in AAA size rechargeables whatsoever), and if you want, get a waterproof 2 way toggle switch - that way you can fit a charged battery at home and seal the hatch, arrive at the pond and switch on/off as required, then just before returning home, remove the hatch to let the insides dry out.

I've seen regular electrical insulating tape used to seal the edges to the deck too

I guess the antenna came out of the stern somewhere - possibly through one of two grommets set into the stern, and went up the aft stay, if that's the right term (adjustable bit of string at the back that runs to the top of the mast).

Either term is acceptable ;D  and the reason it's better to leave the Rx on it's tray to get as much of the antenna as upright as possible :-))

I picture a small tupperware box, or similar, maybe with the bottom cut out, probably set into the larger hole in front of the mast.  I'm not too sure how to seal round it at the moment though, and it will have to be quite a small box, unless I cut the hole in the deck bigger.

I wouldn't bother in front of the mast - the Fiesta's only a small boat and it pouts too much weight up front with a 'tub' there, (I know you're not planning on racing, but you want the boat to sit on it's waterline), if you really want to use a tub or similar, put one with no bottom behind the mast, ideally over the radio tray.

Mark.
Mark.

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:08:35 am »

I use a piece of thin plastic card to cover the hatches on my Fiesta, cut approx 1cm larger (all round) than the hatch then I use either white (to match the deck colour) insulating tape or Diamond sellotape (waterproof) to seal them up, removing just one of the hatch covers after a sail to allow the inside of the hull to air/dry out should any water get inside, none ever has thus far. Been sailing a Fiesta for years, great for transporting and a nippy yacht in most winds.  :-)) :}

Regards
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »

Thanks, Mark, Jon and Scoop.

A friend has given me a plastic tub with a clip on lid that fits in the front hole.  I'll fit that, but maybe not straight away.  I'll try to just get it sailing first.  I like the plastic card idea.  I'll try to get some and cut round the tub.  I guess I can just start with some fablon over the holes though.  I should have some somewhere.

I agree, AAA cells don't seem like a great idea.  I've got a nice JR 1500mAh 4 cell flat NiMH that's in good health.  I'll use that for now.  I might just put the on/off switch back, but change the cable for a new, shorter one.

I prefer to take batteries out of models in case they sit unused for a while (like this one obviously had), and being able to swap packs if it starts to fade is good too.  I've never owned Eneloops.  I have quite a few individual Vapex Instant cells though, and I could probably find a battery clip.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 12:03:24 am »

@Andy2No:

There are some excellent NiMh battery packs available from HobbyKing - these are the same as the individual Turnigy LSD (low self discharge) cells. They are available in both 4 x AA (4.8 volts) and 5 x AA (6 volts).  I currently use one of the 6 volt packs in each of my yachts, works well for me.
Links
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25029__Turnigy_LSD_4_8V_2300mAh_Ni_MH_Flat_Receiver_Pack.html (US$5.25)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25030__Turnigy_LSD_6_0V_2300mAh_Ni_MH_Flat_Receiver_Pack.html (US$6.58)

Hope this helps...
Amateur at work...

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:11:10 pm »

Thanks, mrpenguin.  I may get a couple next time I order from HobbyKing.

There's a shop in the UK that sells the Vapex Instant version.  I've bought quite a few things from there.  The prices are higher, but allowing for the huge difference in postage rates, and the likelihood of being forced to pay the VAT by customs and Parcel Force's "handling charge" for the privilege of putting it through customs, the UK price isn't that bad, plus they'd arrive a lot quicker:

http://component-shop.co.uk/html/low_self_discharge.html

At the moment, HK UK has no stock of things like that, plus the minimum postage is £5 at the moment, I think.

I hadn't considered using 5 cell packs.  I guess most receivers and servos can handle them though.  It could be a useful thing to have on a windy day.

Mark,

I missed the bit about the battery location before.  Behind the mast looks tricky for access.  There's a big thick aluminium sail arm that's not far below the deck, plus the wood that holds the keel would mean I'd need a split pack, or have it on one side, which might not balance too well.

I could try a bottomless tub in the front hole, so I can slide the pack back close to the mast, maybe vertical, but it looks awkward to do.  I'll have to experiment a bit.

Jon,

I live in Manchester.  I belong to a boat club in Cheshire, but as it's a bit of a journey, I'd rather have the boat ready before I go.  I could take it before it's ready and no doubt get a few tips, but I might still find something else I need to know, and it could go on for some time.  Once I've got it so I can sail it at all, I'll be ready for conflicting bits of advice from other club members on how I should improve on it  :-)

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »

Mark,

I missed the bit about the battery location before.  Behind the mast looks tricky for access.  There's a big thick aluminium sail arm that's not far below the deck, plus the wood that holds the keel would mean I'd need a split pack, or have it on one side, which might not balance too well.

Sorry, I thought I'd put that in my post - the instructions show how to split a 4-cell pack to have 2 cells either side of the keel box :-))

Mark.
Mark.

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

You did mention a split pack, Mark.  I could use clips for pairs of AA cells, but I was aiming for something that's fairly easily swappable (say, with cold hands on a drizzly day), ideally through a fairly narrow opening - a little wider than a flat 4 cell battery pack but a lot smaller than my hand, because that's what I have at the moment - a plastic tub with a clip on lid, about 2.5" wide.

Access through the front hole to either side of the mast is easy enough by replacing the sticky backed plastic, so I may just start with that, but I want to make a clip on, or screw on cover to do it through, eventually.  One that covers the entire front hole wouldn't quite work because the bit of string that holds the bottom of the jib crosses the hole, on the left side, and runs to the same eyelet as the shroud on the left side of the mast.  I guess I could run it somewhere else, if that helped though.

I don't really want to enlarge the front hole, and it's kind or trapezium shaped, so finding something to fill it that has a removable lid, isn't very likely.  Access through the main hole, behind the mast, is a lot more fiddly.

I've never seen the instructions.  I found the official website which has some tips on setting up, but not much on building.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 05:01:37 pm »

If you get the guys at Component Shop to make you up a split pack of 4xAA 2600 mAH
you will be able to sail all day without changing batteries.
Drizzly days won't matter.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 11:41:37 pm »

Hi Andy2No

You shouldn't really go down the route of putting a ' box ' in the front hatch, I know its a bit awkward but a split pack of AA's two either side of the mast box is the way to go. A bit of velcro will hold them in place and this can be put in place with a pair of long tweezers or rat tailed pliers and smoothed down with a wooden spatula or the like. If its proving awkward for space remove the sail arm from the servo when you do it not forgetting to mark the position for ease of replacement.
If you have excess weight in the bow and you manage to get the hull goosewinging it will invariably submarine every time  O0

Regards
Scoop

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »

@Andy2No:
The Eneloop packs (either 4.8 or 6 volt) in the site you mentioned should also do the job (http://component-shop.co.uk/html/low_self_discharge.html)

The Fiesta is only a small boat if I recall correctly? The batteries wil represent a significant portion of the overall mass. If you can squueze the battery pack in somewhere aft will help a lot with the pitchpoling (submarining) mention in a recent post. The flat packs are usually best for tight spots from my own experience with a (much modified) Discovery 500. I have a rudder servo, two sail winches, a receiver and a 5 x aa batter pack in a 500mm boat; everything is aft of the mast. Yes, it IS pretty full....

Amateur at work...

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:24 am »

If you get the guys at Component Shop to make you up a split pack of 4xAA 2600 mAH
you will be able to sail all day without changing batteries.
Drizzly days won't matter.

Ned
Couldn't agree more Ned .....2600 mah cells will last all day  :-))

Scoop

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:09:58 am »

Thanks for all the replies.

How much wire would I ask for between the two halves of a split pack?

Whatever I end up with, I still intend to be able to swap packs.  NiMH are fine when they work, but I wouldn't want to drive all that way then rely on just one pack working for me, all afternoon, especially in colder weather.

Where should the Fiesta balance, if you hold it by the top of the keel? Mine's about three quarters of the way back from the front edge, with the receiver in the stern, and a 4 cell 1500mAh flat JR NiMH temporarily held in the front compartment (in a big pill tub with a hole cut for the wires).

The servos are on the heavy side - I replaced the rudder one with a Futaba S3001, and the sail arm one is a fairly big Hitec HS-625MG, with a thick, heavy looking sail arm on it.  I guess set ups vary, but this one has plenty of weight behind the mast, it seems to me.  A 4 cell pack only weighs about the same as a standard sized servo.

I'm quite happy to try it as it is for now, anyway.  I need to finish making temporary covers around the plastic pill tubs (smaller one for the Rx).  I've just shoved the switch in loose with the battery pack for now.

I've got some clear sticky backed plastic for the hole in the middle, behind the mast, so the innards will be on display.  I may need to sand the deck a bit to get the stickiness to stick properly - it's a bit uneven and lumpy, at the moment.

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:17 am »

mrpenguin,

The Fiesta is 64cm long (http://fiestayachts.homestead.com/Specification.html).  I have a roughly 55cm toy grade boat, called a Sea Lite.  I also had the B-Squared 2CH proportional version of the same thing - aka University Club Yacht (both modified with a longer, heavier keel), but I gave that to a friend, recently, to encourage me to work on the other one a bit more.  The difference between the 55cm boat and the 64cm one is a lot more than it sounds  :-)  You have to cube the ratio of the sizes to get a better idea, I guess.

I pictured just putting the Fiesta where the B-Squared used to stand - and that's definitely not going to work.  I think I'd have to saw the legs off the shelf unit for a start, to get it in under the ceiling.

alanmack

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »

Hi,
   I have been sailing a Fiesta for twelve years. It is one of the last Fiesta Classics (228) as they are now known, so what I am about to say may not fully apply to the later Fiesta M type. And anyway its only my opinion, what do I know. {:-{

Originally they were designed around the standard radio sets of the time (1995/6) so flat packs were not common as Rx batteries. The receiver was mounted to port of the c/l well outboard which counterbalanced the battery pretty well perfectly. The most important thing being that the "block of 4" sat well down against the starboard side of the keel box. The lower the better, something you cannot achieve with a flat pack. Splitting would do, but introduces access problems. You should IMHO take the battery pack out after every day on the water otherwise corrosion will set in very rapidly. This has proved a problem with sealed welded battery packs, so experience has shown that using loose cells in a battery box far more reliable in the long run. You can take'em out clean and dry them before recharging and not put them back in the same slot so contact problems don't occur. After a season discard the battery box for a new one.

A few other points:

I mount the Rx battery on a large patch of Velcro Copydexed to the inside of the hull (this may not work on Fiesta M). If handled carefully the Copydex will hold to the rough surface for months or until you decide to remove it to dry it out or reattach it. The large patch allows adjustment fore and aft to reduce submarining in very rough weather.

You should be able to access the battery mount point through the fore hatch without serious difficulty unless you have the largest of hands. The moulded hatch openings of Fiesta M's might be a bit more restricted.

Hatch covering : the norm used to be a piece of thin stiff plastic (supplied) onto which you applied your "Fablon". This is only a good idea on the stern hatch and I have always used strips of cheap Fablon-alike until recently. I am converted to the real thing these days. If you have to 'open up' during an event you can get away with resealing with Fablon provided the surface is completely clean and dry. The other stuff you just chucked it away and started again.
I prefer strips to uniform width tape as you can vary the size easier, and less fiddly to apply or remove than big patches.

Four or five Cells? : The extra cell means extra weight and NiMH cells are fractionally heavier than NiCads already. You shouldn't need five cells with the capacity of NiMH AA's increased fourfold over what was originally intended. Just make absolutely sure that the running rigging runs freely. Here I am of course making the assumption that you are intending to employ a standard servo for the sheeting.

Hope this helps

Alan

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

Thanks, alanmack.

I like the idea of a clip and separate cells, because they're easier to keep an eye on, with a decent charger - I have one that shows the capacity, and can cycle them.  Made up packs are only as good as the weakest cell.

I tried floating mine in the bath earlier.  It seems I got lucky with the lateral balance for a centrally mounted battery (or a split pack, I guess, though that does seem awkward).  A lightish weight Hitec DCX receiver on the starboard side of the stern, in a pill tub, balances it as well as I can judge it.  The deck is sloping up a little towards the bow, with the 4 cell pack in the front compartment, so I guess that will do for now.  I'm not planning on sailing in high winds straight away so I'll refine it later.  The bottom of the more curved bit of the bow and the transom, are just touching the water.

I'll add proper Fablon to my shopping list.  I was thinking it had to be done with one big patch but strips makes sense.  I'll have plastic covers for now, except over the central hole.  I'm just going to try to cover that in one piece of clear fablon substitute, in the hope that I won't have to open it too often.

As far as I know, mine is the original design.  I wasn't aware there was more than one, but there's no resealable hatches, just roughly cut holes in the deck.  The number on the sails is in double digits, and they have an S symbol, which I assume is the one the competition rules refer to.

I agree on removing the batteries from the model after use.  The pack that had been left in mine had rotted its own lead, and about 8" of the negative wire of the long extension it was plugged into - that's how much I stripped away before I got back to copper coloured wire.

alanmack

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 08:03:50 pm »

Hi Andy,
        Sorry to be slow to respond. I don't seem to be getting "informed" of replies at the moment. Must investigate.

It doesn't matter too much where you put stuff as long as the result is OK. It sounds as though you've got the trim right. Make sure that nothing can move even in a collision. Another good reason for putting the battery between the hull side and the keel box.

With the main hatch (the middle one) I tried the clear option when I was having a bit of trouble and hit another snag. If you then run the sheets out without any wind, the lines can loop sometimes and stick to the covering's adhesive (easy to unstick on land at least - not so easy to clean up the lines though). Far better I found to put a piece of thin clear plastic over the hatch and seal with the usual strips as putting the 'sticky' right over the plastic usually ends up as translucent only!

As regards the Fiesta design, they started in 1995 I believe and the designer/builder David Swain continued until 2001/2 before selling up to a commercial concern who still produce them. The first series are now known as Fiesta Classics (Sail Nos 1 to >250). Yours is a Classic like mine. The Fiesta M's number from 250 upwards. The S on the sails signifies that they were made by Stuart Wilkins, original owner of Fiesta No 1.

Alan

Andy2No

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »

Thanks, Alan.  Good point.  I've had the sheets snagging on anything in sight, while I've been fiddling with it.  I'll find some clear plastic.

The automatic notification thing is in the settings, and is off by default.  A lot of forums do that.  I guess it's paranoia about the anti spam regulations, or some such.  Clearly, people who join a forum want to know about replies, and if they didn't they'd do what's needed to turn them off, so I'm guessing it's a (pointless) legal thing.  Having turned it on, you'll still need to manually subscribe to any topics you're replied to before, like this one - click Notify (second button from the left, under the last post on the page).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.