Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: computers  (Read 2217 times)

regiment

computers
« on: November 15, 2011, 01:41:27 pm »

hi all is there a way to stop spam and trash i seem to be getting a lot lately  thanks

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: computers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »

A lot depends on what you are using to look at your email.  The problem is with email, isn't it?  If its just the program that your service provider provided, there might be something in the settings or options.  If its something like Thunderbird, it might have adaptive learning that can steer suspected junk into your junk folder.  When its not sure, it will warn you and you get the chance to mark it as junk, after which stuff from the same source will be redirected to the junk folder automatically.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

AVG - Free

Zone Alarm - free

... they will slow it down a bit!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:47 pm »

Norton 360....yes it costs...AUD$100 for 3 PC's.......for a 12 month subscription........but is very reliable.... O0

Has the facility to create a rule.....with any inward e-mail.....send to the deleted box?.....or permenently delete  :police: any inward  communiaction from the same source 

Courtesy of my second daughter I was getting approx 20 SPAM e-mails per day..........created the rules now ZERO rubish  :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:10:21 pm »

Also worth seeing what forums you belong to- some of them get hacked and harvested for email details etc.

I use Ubuntu/linux distro on my machine, rock solid and secure. Not much good for games though.

brianB6

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:48 pm »

I use a free programme called 'Magic Mail Monitor' that allows you to see what emails are on the server before downloading them.
It seems to have a few problems with Windows 7 but I downloaded my copy some time ago and it has probably been fixed.
Certainly works well with earlier versions.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »

Chose several e-mail addresses - your ISP will probably support 5 or so, and you can get lots of g-mail and hotmail addresses.

Then use one for your friends and immediate family, one for buying items or services, one for your hobbies, and one for any dodgy things you might get up to. And when one gets too spammy, throw it away and get another....

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:39 am »

Chose several e-mail addresses - your ISP will probably support 5 or so, and you can get lots of g-mail and hotmail addresses.

Then use one for your friends and immediate family, one for buying items or services, one for your hobbies, and one for any dodgy things you might get up to. And when one gets too spammy, throw it away and get another....

:-)) :-))

My ISP allows 10 email addresses.

Some newletters, on line sites, free competition entries, etc sell email addresses  

<:( <:( <:(

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:09:50 am »

Hi, as someone has already said. AVG is very good and free :-)). While I agree Nortons is a good program, try and clear it from your system >>:-( You can also mark as spam any email from someone you don't want to hear from again, your system will then automatically put it straight into the spam folder, which you can empty now and again with a couple of clicks of the mouse.
If it ain't broke it ain't mine

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:00 am »

Any ideas on Hotmail mis-behaving and only working when refreshed ?
..well can you land on this?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:10 am »

Open a Gmail account, use it to collect all your other mail from your ISP, Hotmail, etc. Gmail has a brilliant SPAM filter. I can't remember when I last received any spam - it all get stopped at Gmail, and if I get onto a mailing list that wont delete me, I just use Gmail to mark it spam and I get no more mails from them.

It wont slow your computer down either.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.