Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood Glues  (Read 3526 times)

NottsRog

Wood Glues
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

Hello
I am rather a newbie at boat modelling but do have other modelling experience

Looking through some of the posts etc there seems to be a lot of use made of Cyano and also 'resin' type glues.

However what i would like to know is would a good waterproof white pva glue work for wood to wood joins for a smallish hull like as in the 'weenip' yacht.
Especially if then sealed

As for sealing/waterproofing the wood ,  there seems to be a lot of use of epoxy resin type materials?  but would wood varnishes work as well?

Thanks
NottsRog

MikeA

Re: Wood Glues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:05:56 pm »

Water proof pva glue can be used but i think the prefered choice is aliphatic resin for wood. I use CA myself for wood as i like the fast drying properties of it, has some drawbacks but its not affected anything ive built. If you allready have a water proof pva it will work although it is not designed for permanent submerging so as long as your boat isnt on the lake for a week it should be ok.

Varnish will seal the hull but make sure you fill all the gaps and pin holes in your seams. I wouldnt recomend hitting other hard objects though especially if your using balsa as varnish will only provide slight protection.

Chuffy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

Aliphatic for me every time, I use the standard type for most general use, veneers, deck planking, super structures and general joinery etc. It grabs quite fast and is sandable. There is also a wicking variety for those hard to reach places. I have also used Cyno for just about everything, if your not sure if it's suitable for the application you have in mind, try it out on a bit of scrap first.

Varnish as a protection for wood is fine for super structures and decking etc but I have never used it on hulls with exception of a final coat (matt or Satin) on a painted GRP hull.

Like Mad Mike, I would think that while several coats of varnish would protect the wood from water the hull would be very susceptible to damage especially if it was made from Balsa wood, many forum members skin their hulls with glass fibre cloth for strength. I have never done this so I can't comment further, I'm sure they would 'put you straight' if you asked the question.

Paul

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:12:45 pm »

.....as in the 'weenip' yacht.

Rog, did you get the DVD with your WeeNip?
If not, then you may be interested to know that the recommended building system is to "spot weld" the pieces with thick super glue (cyano). Then you fill the joints with the epoxy filler and paint it with more epoxy.
We found ti a quite easy way of putting the whole thing together.

NottsRog

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for yr reply

Yes I did get the Weenip video, in fact it was a full 'exhibition special' of plans, wood and dvd' from the recent International modelboatshow

I have watched the vid  and in fact is the point where I started wondering,  mainly because it didnt mention exactly what sort of resin, and research has shown me there is a plethora of types.

My only experiance of resins is the good old 'araldite' type ,  which doesnt look at all suitable for the job being far too thick, and in anycase the amount in a tube is obviously insufficient

Thanks
NottsRog

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »

I'm rather from the old school type of wooden hull construction and mine were always built using pva and varnish.... Now I'm sure that the modern methods are superior in many ways so I'm certainly not knocking them but I was sailing my plank on frame Eileen on Sunday, made with that technique and it's still watertight after 26 years and many of the boats that some here have restored of late were initially made the same way, so I suppose it's still valid.  :-))
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.