Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: cooking oil in the car engine  (Read 6068 times)

BJ

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: cooking oil in the car engine
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »

I did - many years ago........

An old Mini van on my way back from Holland after an 'International Mini Meet'. the van was almost scrap anyway, and needed oil near Ostende. Regular motor oil was too expensive at the time (still is!!!!) so bought some chip oil from a local supermarket and used that.

My god - the smoke (it got past the rings) and it smelt like a mobile chip fryer!!!!!!!!!

By the time I got back to West London that evening, the engine was, literally, cooked!!!!!

Scrapped the car the next day........
Carl

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

Modern car oils particuley Diesal ones have many additives. Diesal oil has what are called detergants to keep the products of combustion in the oil, which is why diesal oil goes black.Im sure that cooking oil could be used in an engine but how the engine would wear over the period of time is worrying  Also with Britains low temperatures in winter the oil would not circulate. Now using old cooking oil as fuel is possible if suitably cleaned. Their are many posts on Google about this diesal engines only. A few enterprizing people have used alge growth to make petrol substitute.Probably to labour intentsive. John.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:03:20 am »

False economy.  Save a few bucks on oil and fry an engine worth several thousand bucks (or pounds).  I worked for an oil company and have some small knowledge of the chemistry in motor oil.  In gasoline and diesel engine oils, the additive package can be 1/4 or more of the volume.  Viscosity improvers, antiwear additives, anti-foam additives, detergents (not Dawn) etc.  And it's formulated to have a much flatter viscosity-temperature curve than plain oil, meaning it is thinner at cold starting temperatures and thicker and hot running temperatures than plain oil.

nick_75au

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:17 am »

Use it to fuel your diesel not in the sump. goes way back to the first diesel engine which was designed to run on peanut oil.

Nick

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:53 am »

Even using it as a diesel substitute can be fraught - a mate did just that and discovered that it was eating all the rubber bits in the fuel system and squirting the profits all over the roads.  You could always tell where he had been on a rainy day.  Real diesel has additives to prevent that kind of thing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nick_75au

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:34 am »

Yes,it can but I have a mate who drove his camper bus conversion around australia with no problems.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:36:18 am »

A mate of mine used to add 5litres of cooking oil to every 20 litres of diesel in his black cab with no problems at all. Then ASDA put the price of cooking oil up, no longer worth it. :-)) :-)) :-))

treeboa

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:44:49 am »

load of rubbish, im now on 50k using 100% veg oil in an 05 mitzi warrior, pre that i did 70k between a fourtrak and an astra, pre that i did 20k in a tdi golf

not all engines will use it, it needs to be direct injection with a bosch type pump, these new daft diesels wont run on the stuff

you do need to twin tank,if not you will eventually suffer ring gumming from cold starts on neat veg oil,  that is via a valve or set of valves start up on diesel then at operating temp change to veg oil, from that pre shutting down you again flush the engine back to diesel for the next start up

on veg oil i get typically 3 mpg better, the engines running smoother and has a bit more power, it also runs cleaner than diesel, to such an extent even running without a cat my mot emissions are 10% of the max allowed

so add to that im currently paying 70p for a ltr of veg my savings are fantastic, im happy for the scare stories to keep circulating

pettyofficernick

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:20 am »

ASDA, £1 44 litre, where do you get it for 70p.
 :-)) :-))

treeboa

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

ASDA, £1 44 litre, where do you get it for 70p.
 :-)) :-))

well i dont buy it from supermarkets  {-) {-), i purchase it in bulk, min 100 ltrs, though if you keep your eyes open even supermarkets occasionally have bogof deals which brings the price close to what i pay
 no way am i giving my sources out as i have lost a few in the past with people then jumping on my bandwagon  O0, its there if people want to go look for it, just go looking around veg oil forums

even old oil correctly filtered is perfectly usable, and thats without converting it into bio

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »

Have a friend still runs his people carrier on veggie oil, has done for years, buys in bulk from cash and carry at half diesel costs.  I'm sure it often puts out a niff of fish 'n chips though - seriously!

dave301bounty

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »

there is a chippy down smithdown road ,if you want ,he gives it away every friday nite about 11.30 ,and you want to see the rush ..

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:11 pm »

Castrol is so called because it was originally based on castor oil. This had a higher breakdown temperature than mineral oils of the day. The rotary engines of First World War fighters ran on castor oil and, because they threw it out of the valve gear, the pilots had a permanent attack of the squits.

Castor oil, in the form of Castrol R or Shell Super M was used in racing engines well into the sixties. In fact, if you go to a vintage car or bike race meeting you will still catch a whiff of its very distinctive smell. The purists may have loved it, but it was pretty horrible to use because it gummed up the engines. And in the days of open breather pipes the whole engine bay would be a sticky mess.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »

I used to run a Ssangyong Musso, 2.9 merc diesel, on rapeseed oil, sunflower, recycled chippe oil,..i did a 50/50 mix, and it never broke down, it was cheaper then as the cost of veggie oil in the supermarkets was only 3lt for 80p this was in 2004, but like everything else the makers soon cottoned on to thje fact that it was being used to fill tanks, now the price is the same as diesel, but,in  bulk buying it can cost 65/70p per lt,
I now run a 1.6td Berlingo Multispace,2011 model and have on occasion put veggie oil in this, and it runs, mind you, it does smell like a chippe van running down the road

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:58 pm »

i have the 2.0lt HDI peugeout version of the multispace....will it run on chip oil ???- there's loads of the stuff at work !!!! ?????
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

dave301bounty

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 02:49:46 pm »

I Am amazed at ,such a simple subject has aroused and brought forward so many ,,,I do this ,,and try this ,,the government need this help ,please apply in the apropiate box...

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »

Guy and Wally. please be very careful indeed before trying to run your cars on veg oil. Which does not have the lubrcity of diesal.If you run your cars on pure veg oil with no diesal your pump will seize up.If in doubt of what i say go into a firm that repairs pumps.Do not listern to the guy down the pub.Yes older pumps were fine sadly new ones may not be.Yes im know that some diesal does have up to 5% bio in it not 100%. John.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »

The older 'agricultural' type diesels were more tolerant of vegetable oil fuels. Modern ones with all their emission controls and DPFs etc. can't cope though. Some manufacturers say that more than 5% biodiesel will potentially cause problems.

Modern diesels can be very troublesome if you don't keep to recommended driving patterns which should include a couple of decent high speed runs a week to force the DPF to regenerate. When they go wrong it can be very, very expensive.

Colin

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »

I forgot to say that the one thing you never did was mix castor and mineral oils. I guess the same would be true of any other vegetable oil.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »

The older 'agricultural' type diesels were more tolerant of vegetable oil fuels. Modern ones with all their emission controls and DPFs etc. can't cope though. Some manufacturers say that more than 5% biodiesel will potentially cause problems.

Modern diesels can be very troublesome if you don't keep to recommended driving patterns which should include a couple of decent high speed runs a week to force the DPF to regenerate. When they go wrong it can be very, very expensive.

Colin

i love the frugality of my two diesel cars, - but the peugeot has over its 63,000 miles had several sensors replaced and i recently replaced an  EGR unit (exhaust gas recirculator gizmo)... never replaced as many sensors on previous petrol cars !!!- funny but the other car  i run  (a renault diesel ) seems to be better ie it does not seem to have som any sensors that fail ...?

would never consider only running on veggie oil but would consider a 5% mix with regular branded diesel??? a bottle a tank when i fill up ?- the peugeot is pretty agricultural anyway !!!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 07:23:16 am »

You can mix it with diesel fuel & you will be O/K. But don't use it as lubricant in your sump or you will be buying a new engine. Mick B.
Mick B.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 10:48:56 am »

Guy and Wally. please be very careful indeed before trying to run your cars on veg oil. Which does not have the lubrcity of diesal.If you run your cars on pure veg oil with no diesal your pump will seize up.If in doubt of what i say go into a firm that repairs pumps.Do not listern to the guy down the pub.Yes older pumps were fine sadly new ones may not be.Yes im know that some diesal does have up to 5% bio in it not 100%. John.
Who are you calling a "Wally"... {-).my names Wullie,..thats with a U, there,s a big difference,.....Wally,s are them that wear anoraks and stand in all weathers playing wi model boats,...."Not my words"  {-)....my ex wife,s,
I never run my car with any mix below 50/50 if anything its usually a 60/40 mix in favour of diesel,I find rapeseed to be very good, as it has a similar vicosity to diesel,..in fact, Bosch rate rapeseed as an alternative fuel,

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »

You can buy a CD book that will give you the plans to build your own bio-diesel converter , you use a set amount of caustic soda crystals per gallon into heated veg oil ( usually filtered recycled chip shop oil ) with a small motor powered stirring arm , leave to "cook" for a few days ( you can buy a testing kit off Ebay that will let you know when the oil is ready to use ) and then skim off the soap on the top of the tank ( yup soap thats a usable by product of making your own bio-diesel ).

One thing I have read on a lot of the sites that give you advice on this is that if you are going to go to using 100% bio-diesel you had better carry 3 spare fuel filters , apparently going from diesel to bio-diesel means the gunk in the bottom of the tank and lining the fuel lines gets lifted into solution and can block the filter , they advise changing the fuel filter every tank for 4 tanks and after that it should work absolutely fine.

If your not going to convert veg oil into bio-diesel don't whatever you do go to anything more than 60-40 in favour of normal diesel as veg oil is more viscous and would require a heater in the tank to get it to go through the injectors cleanly.

On the subject of injectors I use injector cleaner every 2 tanks in my 206 1.9LD ( non-turbo 1999 model , bit of a tractor engine but at 102,000 miles on the clock and only needed a set of glow plugs this month to pass emissions for the MOT and still gives me 39.8mpg running in town at no more than 25-30mph ) and I'm not sure if the injector cleaning solution you can buy will work in bio-diesel or a mix of bio-diesel/diesel so you might need to go back to a full tank of diesel , add injector cleaner , run it right down again before refilling with bio-diesel or a mix.

You're allowed to make 1500 Litres a year tax free for your own car so spending a few hundred quid making your own converter , sourcing used cooking oil from the local chippy and making your own really can save you a fortune in diesel a year.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 01:10:53 pm »

Sorry wullie.John.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.