Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown Mtroniks speedo  (Read 8728 times)

Merseymart

Blown Mtroniks speedo
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »

Just built a club500 and put this speedo in and all was OK for about 5mins.Then the motor became stuttery. Would go off sometimes for a split second, or a few seconds. No matter what range or what throttle, this was just in the bath as a pre-lake test. Took it to the local club and it was cutting out more and more.
Trying to get to the bottom of the problem tonight with a bath test and without warning, it blew a cloud of smoke from the side, scorched the radio tray and died.  <:(
Sometimes 5mins could go by and it was working 100%. When it did it was working well. Nice and proportional and never getting more than luke warm.

That was my moan but this is my question! When I got the speedo, the bullet connectors were cut off and the motor wires soldered straight on. Also the tamiya connector was replaced with a deans connector. This was all well as my soldering is pretty good. I know the stuttering wasn't from my connectors as this was the 1st thing to check with the meter when the esc starting playing up. So that eliminated that first off.

Before I give them a ring tomorrow, what is the returns policy with something that's been, lets say, modified?
I know for a fact the changes were not connected in the slightest to what went wrong and must of been a duff speedo in the 1st place.
These things are made in their droves so once in a while a lemon is going to slip through the net.

Cheers.

daveorgan

Re: Blown Mtroniks speedo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:23:13 pm »

firstly what size motor you got ?
what size bttery?
and what amp was the speed controller  marine 10, 15,20,25,or 40

regards

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »

Normally i understand that their warrenty is two years. Provided its not modded. The best thing to do is contact them explain whats wrong and send it back if they agree. If your mods are ok then i feel they should  hopefully repair.But by altering it you have voided the warrenty in spirit. One question was it correctly fused?  Let us know what happens.John

Merseymart

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »

Thanks folks.

Viper Marine 25. Stock 550 motor. 7.2v 3700mah nimh vapex stick pack. All standard club500 spec stuff. When it did have a good 5mins, it worked a charm. Had a 20a blade fuse inline with the speedo, I should imagine whatever popped the speed must have been under 20a because the fuse was still in one piece. I can appreciate the fact that its been changed from shop bought spec would invalidate the warranty. So I'll cross my fingers and appeal to their good nature. With any luck, they'll understand that substituting the bullets for straight through and replacing the molex with deans is irrelevant to its problem. They where soldered net and tidy, heatshrunk and cable tied out of the way in the boat, all in all it was a pretty neat install until it curled its toes up.
I'll keep you informed to what they say and the outcome  :-))

Taa :-)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:18 am »

Dud mtronics escs do slip through the net, I bought one a while ago that wouldn't work in reverse. Sent it back and got a replacement. Sounds like yours was a lemon too.
As for modifying them, I try not to, I've made up a couple of short adaptor leads with Tamiya connector on one end and whatever is required on the other. Motor lead I run to a connector block. This also has the advantage of knowing all mtronics escs I have are quickly interchangeable, bearing in mind the amperage rating of course. Dave.

daveorgan

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:38 am »

also had a 25amp one in a boat and it blew and smoked filled the boat with smoke funny thing was it was on a fire boat lol took it back to antics where i got it from and they exchanged it straight a way  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

There are some 'unstickered' ones currently on a wellknown auction site which reportedly have issues with ahead and astern
Are they factory rejects??

I buy the ones that have been through the QA system and are sold at a discount At least I know they have been tested  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:49:35 pm »

I would be interested to know about the ones on e bay.Can any one tell me where they come from please.I did buy two new ones off ebay not the unstickerd ones.Two problems with them firstly for full power handling watercooling was needed also programmed in reverse. Mtornics told me they were a discontinued type. The moral of this story is you get what you pay for.Once bitten Etc.John.

daveorgan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »

the guy selling unstickered ones told me that they were for an over seas customer who wanted them to go straight into  cars how true this is i do not know  {:-{

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

If they were for cars why is he claiming that there for boats.I understand if they were car ones they would likely have a programmable reverse. John.

daveorgan

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »

no idea mate i contacted him and asked before i bought one thats what he said , they were produced for an overseas customer here is our messages

Dear sja2310,hi mate intrested in item actually i need two just wondered why are these un stickered ? regards- dan01992

Dear dan01992,Hi. Have 2, can double up if you win. Is a version that was for an overseas customer to go directly into a car. Thanks.- sja2310 {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

daveorgan

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:31 am »

here is my response from mtroniks on the subject

Hi,

We never manufacture any products that are not complete with stickers, labels and packaging.

I would be very surprised if the items you have seen are genuine. Do you have a link to them?

You would be much better off buying an ex demo unit from our ex demo section on our website, this way you are assured they are genuine and still get your 24 month warranty.

Best regards,

Paul Kenningley

Mtroniks Ltd.

Tel: 0044(0)1943 461482

Fax: 0044(0)1943 468335

Email: paul@mtroniks.net

http://www.mtroniks.net

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:07 pm »

Now the exdemos will be snapped up and I will be paying full price  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( %%

Ned

daveorgan

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »

:(( :(( :(( oops sorry  :-))

dickyp

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 09:10:12 am »

I am having the same problem as Merseymart

I have an old Wavecrest boat into which I have fitted a Graupner 600Eco motor, a Mtronics Viper Marine 25amp controller and an 8.4 volt battery

It cuts out for a split second then starts up again

I have been putting up with the problem for a while now and I am not a club member have not been able to obtain advice on the problem

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:32 am »

I am having the same problem as Merseymart

I have an old Wavecrest boat into which I have fitted a Graupner 600Eco motor, a Mtronics Viper Marine 25amp controller and an 8.4 volt battery

It cuts out for a split second then starts up again

I have been putting up with the problem for a while now and I am not a club member have not been able to obtain advice on the problem
try a smaller prop

Peter

Nige52

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »

He is in The Ilkley area
So is the factory
Are the bits coming out of the back door
and assembled at home?
If you have all the bits it would be easy to put
them in the case and pour in a bit of potting
compound, but the programmer and label
printer would still be in the factory

Ned

daveorgan

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

dont know where there from all i know is he got very very upset when i asked him  <*<

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »

I suspect that they are a job lot of obsolete units which came from? I wonder if some deal was made by the makers hence the lack of action by them.It would be interesting to send one back for repair. John.

daveorgan

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 05:23:19 pm »

Just spoke to mtroniks again and they stated as they do no do such an item without labels and stickers all warranty is void
they are looking into it apparently they are aware and have had some of these  returned to them blown and will not accept any liability for use of these speed controllers  .
they are looking into a counterfit  case. SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THESE NON GENUINE ITEMS :police:

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:32 pm »

Does make me despite what they tell you that these are mtroniks made abroad for mtroniks and finding there way onto the British markets unlabelled from the foreign (chinese) factory.John.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:14 am »

Does make me despite what they tell you that these are mtroniks made abroad for mtroniks and finding there way onto the British markets unlabelled from the foreign (chinese) factory.John.
Might be the same case, but who knows what is inside?  Having the Mtronics label implies that it has passed through Mtronics' quality control, and is thus covered by their warranty.  Not having the label implies that someone is ripping them off, and supporting the ripoff artists does none of us any good in the slightly longer run.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:23 am »

This could make it very hard for mtroniks as if they are made by the same people and finding there way over here, who is to say that the label has not just come off..

daveorgan

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 11:59:50 am »

these labels do not just come off i had a old one from mtroniks i tried the other day to remove label not a chance in hell they are on good and proper they scratch but theres no way on earth you can peel these off

dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.