Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first sailing ship  (Read 5963 times)

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
My first sailing ship
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:44 am »

My first sailing ship

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first sailing ship
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

Pictures of my sailing square rigger . This  vessel is scratch built from plans of Mr Bolyes Stright Runner it uses sail winches with modifyed drums to haul the yards around
M.H.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:56 pm »

Nice job can you give us her dimensions & and some sailing photos please
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »

Malcolm

This is lovely :}
There is a lively gaggle of keen and enthusiastic sailing modellers her at Mayhem

And they appreciate a nice square-rigger like this

andrew

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:13:32 am »

Yes, great job. :-))
Love to see some photos.  :}

I am also curious, how has she been ballasted?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »

tiger/tiger    I  have fitted a  length of steel  hydraulic ram rod 2ft  long, under keel  it  wheighs  20lbs   as a test  piece,  it sails ok  but  when i  cast  my  lead  keel  i will  lower it  by 2inchs  to cope  whith   gale force winds.  When i  post next photos you will be able to see brackets +  bar which is adjustable front to rear

Brooks

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:21:20 am »

Very beautiful ship, Mr. Howard. I wish my first, or second, or third, etc. looked as nice :-)

A better method to deal with strong winds is to devise a way to remove sails (or reef or furl them). I use sail removal, and it works (as is should, after all, as sail reduction is the way real squareriggers deal with high winds). Study paintings of real ships to learn which sails to remove as the wind picks up. A great book on squarerigger practice is John Harland's "Seamanship in the Age of Sail." I remove topgallants first, then courses if necessary, following actual ship practice in the 1800's. In the 1600's, the sequence would be topgallants, then topsails, then courses. 1700's practice varied.

The problem with simply adding more ballast (or giving it a longer lever arm) is that it leads to more strain on the rigging, particularly in gusts. If your ship is heeling excessively in light airs, then by all means lower the ballast. But as a method to make your ship more gale-worthy, I'd not recommend it.

One further advantage to reducing sail is that it changes the look of your vessel. After you've collected many photos of your beautiful ship at sea, you will probably appreciate the possession of a varied collection :-)

Brooks

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »

When speaking of your ballast vs. gales, I was assuming you are already  using an external fin keel. If you are not, but are just using the hull alone as your "fin", then by all means lower the ballast with a fin keel. I don't think squareriggers work well to windward without a fin keel addition. They suffer from a lot of windage due to all the spars and rigging aloft (compared to a modern racing sloop). Thus, they need to generate more lift from the keel (to counter their excessive drift to leeward) than the model hull can provide, in my experience. With a large enough fin keel, my square riggers work to windward very nicely; I can sail to anywhere in the pond, and return to my starting harbor, only limited by the wind (it's harder to beat squareriggers in light airs than fore&aft vessels, due to the windage issue). My 2 and 3 foot hull ships have a fin keel about 1 foot deep and 1 foot wide, made of plywood. I bolt the fin to an aluminum L that I've screwed to the bottom of the hull. This makes transport in my car easier since I can easily remove and install the fin. I drill several holes in the aluminum before the first sail, making it easy to move the fin fore or aft if necessary.

I should say that I believe Jimmy James eschews fin keels, and seems to sail his vessels just fine :-). For my ships, however, it seems a necessity. I've experimented with different sizes. My small ones don't work well, leading to excessive drift to leeward. A square rigger will spend 80% of its time on a beat (measured with my Pamir, 4-masted barque). So, optimizing the beat makes for more fun sailing, at least for me.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:47 am »

BROOKS
I don't normaly use extream keels , though I have done. I don't like internal ballast except for trimming. What I normaly do is extend the keel with 4 or 5 bits of flashing lead about 4 or 5 inches  this is molded to the hull with P38 this usualy gives me a draught of 8 to 10 inches which as our lake is beach launched is not to extream and all you need are wellys
Jimmy

New by Jamie

Inshore

When lighting flashes and thunder rolls
Like the God of Storms is playing bowls
Stow your courses and reef your mizzen
And beat offshore like your fleeing prison

Clear the headland and the reef
And make your offing like a fleeing thief
It’s only when in waters wide
T’will be safe for Jack to turn and ride

Aaaah!!!! Me thinks’ the Lady
Though small and fair
Has a rye sense of humour
That far travels hath lain bare
                     Jamie
Kings Lynn

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:43:48 am »

Build pictures

M H

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:31 am »

My first  sailing  ship.   After more than  fifty  years of model  boating  I have  finally scratch  built  a  square  rigger,   The hull  was the easy  bit,   it  is  plank  on  frame, The  rigging  was  very hard  work, I did not realize how  many ropes  there  are  on  these  ships,  Also  the complications  of  making  the masts  and  bow sprit fold up  to fit in my car.   Her dimensions  are at Water line 42 inch     Overall  50 inch  127cm   LOW  76 inch  183cm   Height  from keel  to top  of main  mast  76 inch  183cm     Beam   13 inch   33cm       Hull  weighs  21 lbs  +  28 lbs  of ballast.  Total of 49lbs.    I  do  have  a  good  adviser,  who  lives  very close to  me,    JIMMY  JAMES  he is my rigging  advisor, etc, etc.  Many thanks to him,  He  is know teaching me how to sail it, or trying to?               

MH

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »

Next Batch

Brooks

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »

I did not realize Jimmy James was your adviser...my advice was Coals to Newcastle :-)

Very beautiful on the water, Well Done!

One comment: Boyle (British 1930's freesailing squarerigger modeler) did not like shrouds on a model since they limit yard swing. Without yard swing of at least 60deg off perpendicular to the hull, it's more difficult to get good performance to windward. Boyle was my mentor, via his articles preserved on the Web; he eschews shrouds, installing backstays only, and I've followed his method.

There are ways to hang the yards that allow more than the typical 45deg swing allowed by shrouds. If you find yourself wanting better beat angles (via increased yard swing), then you might look at the posts and methods of DanL over on rcgroups.com; his brig Syren is museum class, yet still sails well.

Boyle's 1930's square-rigging tips:
http://www.swcp.com/usvmyg/squarerig/sq1.htm

My Pamir construction, sailing, and experimentation thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743611

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:22 am »

This is how i have fitted my temporary keel , It is adjustable bow to stern by slackening two clamp bolts and sliding in brackets, It is a piece hydraulic ram rod,  I had  saved it for future use 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

... It is adjustable bow to stern by slackening two clamp bolts and sliding in brackets,...

Excellent and simple solution to the trimming fore and aft problem.
I think I am about to retro-change the design on mine.
Thanks for the idea  :-)) :-)) :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:13 am »

Tiger Tiger    the ballast weight is only temporary,  As  it is a very good  weed  collector  on the pointy  bit, The new one will be blended into the keel , It is handy to see the effect  of  moving  it has on sailing, To obtain best  position.  MH

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 03:00:23 pm »

Maiiy
 See you've got the hang of posting Photos ,there will be no stopping  you now. Next thread the Crane Barge I take it
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

Jimmy.   Crane barge, what crane barge is that,?

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

That big ugly block of flats with the derrick on it that keeps blocking up the launching slip
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 04:29:07 pm »

Hi Jimmy  (Beauty  is in the eye of the beholder) ok,  she is  not the pretiest,  she is differant in many ways, i will take some photos  and  post  them soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.