Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Runaway motors  (Read 3987 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Runaway motors
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:59:58 am »

I'm looking for some assistance from those with knowledge of radios receivers and such. I installed one of ACTION's P94's in my Smit Nederland and it performed superbly. I'm doing over a Drumbeat of Devon I got from a friend. I added my own motors, battery etc. and I'm using the successful control panel from the Nederland. I have both vessels set up with the same plug arrangement to servo(s), motors and battery. I plugged the motor control panel into the Drumbeat and the motors could not be made to stop and there was substantial interference with the servo operation.
  The motors would go full forward to full reverse extremely rapidly with no control from me (yes my transmitter was turned on) and I couldn't find a bias on either throttle or steering that would settle the whole lot down. I reinstalled the panel in the Nederland and all was well.
  What am I missing in the Drumbeat installation that's making it go wonky?
  Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

Drumbeat motors

Control panel in the Nederland

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Runaway motors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:25:28 am »

Hi John are the cables plugged into your Rx plugged in the right way round ie black cable to the outside and white to the inside. Black on pin furthest from label.

Did you remember the crystal in the Rx. Leave it out and weird things happen.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:17 am »

If the whole board performs OK in one model and not the other then the problem lies somewhere in the Drumbeat's installation away from the board. RF interference is the first thought, followed by a flat battery and then the aerial position. A digital servo on the rudder has also been known to cause such problems.
I can't quite make out the way you have fitted the RF suppressors to the motors; it looks unusual. Can you post a clearer/closer shot or a sketch, and say what value capacitors you have used?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:31 pm »

Hi John are the cables plugged into your Rx plugged in the right way round ie black cable to the outside and white to the inside. Black on pin furthest from label.

Did you remember the crystal in the Rx. Leave it out and weird things happen.

Dicky:
 Thanks for the help, however, the receiver and the rest of the electronics were not separated from each other in the move from one boat to another. There are Dean's plugs that connect the battery and motors to the board on transfer of the board from one vessel to the next.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »

If the whole board performs OK in one model and not the other then the problem lies somewhere in the Drumbeat's installation away from the board. RF interference is the first thought, followed by a flat battery and then the aerial position. A digital servo on the rudder has also been known to cause such problems.
I can't quite make out the way you have fitted the RF suppressors to the motors; it looks unusual. Can you post a clearer/closer shot or a sketch, and say what value capacitors you have used?

Thanks for your assistance. I've taken, what i hope are, clearer pictures of the items you've mentioned. The servo is an analog Futaba type.
I'll let the pictures answer the rest of your questions.

John

This is the wiring end of one of the motors. Both motors are set up the same way. The black wire from the end of the capacitors went to the motor frame. I removed it to see if the was any difference in the performance. There wasn't.

These are the capacitors I'm using.

These images show the motor control board as it is when in the Nederland. The whole board is unplugged at the Dean's plugs (the red plugs) and moved in total to the Drumbeat. Should be just a plug and play arrangement.

CF-FZG

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:51 pm »

I notice you've got both esc outputs connected together - are they interferring with each other??

I was always taught not to do that {:-{

Mark.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »

I notice you've got both esc outputs connected together - are they interferring with each other??

I was always taught not to do that {:-{

Mark.

That's the ESC supplies connected as per ACTION. It allows for two batteries to supply the ESC's
  The ESC outputs are separate and the connections don't change from one vessel to the next. Should be an identical set up.

John

ACTion

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:02:00 pm »

A curious arrangement indeed. I would suggest removing the two capacitors which have been fitted and using more conventional values and layout i.e. one 0.01uF between each of the terminals and the case and either a 0.1uF or 0.22uF between the two motor terminals. Use ceramic types of at least 50v. We can supply suitable kits if required.

BTW there are not two ESC's in there, Mark - it's a P94 and it has been connected correctly (or it wouldn't work in Old Iron's Smitty     8))

DM

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 01:26:24 pm »

A curious arrangement indeed. I would suggest removing the two capacitors which have been fitted and using more conventional values and layout i.e. one 0.01uF between each of the terminals and the case and either a 0.1uF or 0.22uF between the two motor terminals. Use ceramic types of at least 50v. We can supply suitable kits if required.

BTW there are not two ESC's in there, Mark - it's a P94 and it has been connected correctly (or it wouldn't work in Old Iron's Smitty     8))

DM

Thanks very much Dave. Will try your suggestion.

John

CF-FZG

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »

According to your website the P94 is a dual (2 x 20A) esc and mixer, so I don't understand you statement above that there's not two ESCs in there {:-{

Ahhh, I've just realised that it's the input connections I see connected together :embarrassed:

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »

According to your website the P94 is a dual (2 x 20A) esc and mixer, so I don't understand you statement above that there's not two ESCs in there {:-{
"A dual ESC and mixer" is the correct description of a single unit; that is not two (or three) units. If you read the header on the P94 Web-page, you will see the words "equivalent to" http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf. I hope that makes things clearer for you. I have built over a thousand of the blighters so I can assure you that there are quite definitely not two ESCs in there!  8)
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.