Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: King Midas Tug  (Read 27139 times)

Dreadstar

King Midas Tug
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »

I got the vac formed kit through the post today,along with the fittings kit,and have started to cut out the parts. Rather than using a scalpel to score and snap the plastic,I'm using a pair of lexan scissors,the short curved blade type,to cut the parts out. This makes a lot more sense to me,knowing my ponchance for cutting myself rather than the workpiece,and I must say,that it's a breeze to cut with these scissors too.
   So far,I've cut out both sections of the hull;the motor mount and the base moulding for the superstructure;dry fitted the propshaft, that's all that i'll be doing just now.

A pic of the component parts of this little 18" tug.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: King Midas Tug
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:04:34 pm »

Nice one Dreadstar.
 Right, it's Wendesday, you have 3 days to get it complete and on the water!

... tick, tick, tick.....  ok2

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:26:51 pm »

LOL Martin,unfortunately,I've been moved to another job within the company I work for,which means slightly longer hours,the good part is,no more call-outs. :-))
 I think that even I would be hard pressed to do the build in 3 days,not if we want it to look any way decent. :embarrassed: The good thing is,is that the kit is in a medium that I'm used to working with. This time I'm not going to rush this too much,(famous last words),as I want to produce a nice looking model. :-))

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:53 pm »

Have also started to build this a few weeks ago !!   :}

A few of us have bought some as a replacement for the Pollux to take on the Ribble Club in a game of Football, so looks will not be great as they will be built for Strength to take the knocks those mighty pollux's are capable of giving.

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

Roughly what scale do you think the wee Midas is? {:-{

Dreadstar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:03:43 pm »

All parts roughly cut out now,funnel and base halfs glued together,along with the two halfs of the rudder,which has a balsa core added to it for rigidity.

The parts placed loosely in position,no Martin,they haven't been glued yet.

tjones27

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »

Neatly done. i will be following with this post with interest as ive been looking for a model just like this to build :)

Dreadstar

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:33:28 pm »

Now before you all scream at me for the way that I've done this,I use what I have available,in this case square section plastistrut.
 Looking at the fact that this boats' rudder requires a skeg to hold the lower end of the rudder,and the fact that I have no brass strip available,I took the decision to make one out of square plastistrut,which should do the trick. I've still to plate off the open ends of the beam,but other than that,it's a solid joint.  I've added a few cosmetic parts to the funnel,just to be different. I'm enjoying building this little tug,but a lot of the component parts will require reinforcing,as the plasticard that they're made from is a touch on the thin side,0.030" approx.
 I also ran a band of plasticard around the join of the two halfs of the rudder,to reinforce the join.

This wee tug looks as if it might be 1/72nd scale,do you think that's about right?

Dreadstar

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:09 pm »

I've started work on the bridge section,after reinforcing the deck and cutting out the main access panel. It's a pity that I'm having to rely on my old camera to take pics at the moment,but my daughter has my good just now. With a bit of luck,I'll get it back tomorrow,which might just help prevent these build pics from being quite so washed out.

I've cut out the windows for the bridge,though I haven't framed them yet,and added the doors,but unfortunately you can't see them in the pic. I'm also building a basic instrument panel  within the bridge,as I'm going to glaze the windows. I've also increased the height of the funnel,as I felt that it was a little too short. Nothing has been glued together as yet,as the final design of this tug hasn't been finalised yet.

Dreadstar

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:25:27 pm »

I haven't had a lot of time today to work on my wee tug,so rather than try doing the fiddly wheelhouse bits and pieces,I decided to throw together a basic mast assembly. I just made a basic scanner as per the instructions,which I'll no doubt replace in due course,but it should suffice in the meantime.

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »

Now before you all scream at me for the way that I've done this,I use what I have available,in this case square section plastistrut.
 Looking at the fact that this boats' rudder requires a skeg to hold the lower end of the rudder,and the fact that I have no brass strip available,I took the decision to make one out of square plastistrut,which should do the trick. I've still to plate off the open ends of the beam,but other than that,it's a solid joint.  I've added a few cosmetic parts to the funnel,just to be different. I'm enjoying building this little tug,but a lot of the component parts will require reinforcing,as the plasticard that they're made from is a touch on the thin side,0.030" approx.
 I also ran a band of plasticard around the join of the two halfs of the rudder,to reinforce the join.

This wee tug looks as if it might be 1/72nd scale,do you think that's about right?

[

Ish.

Re the rudder, that is exactly how we, 3 out have done it  :-))  have also added strength to the strut by putting 2 small screws through it ..

Dreadstar

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:24 pm »

I've done a little bit more work done on her between yesterday and today. I've plated the fore and aft decks with 1/32" balsa sheet,as well as reinforcing the underside of the aft deck with 0.040" plasticard,in order to be able to fit a towing bollard.I've fitted a 'hoop' on the rear deck,made from 3mm square plastic rod,carefully bent and glued into place. This will have the joint reinforced with some epoxy later on. I've also fitted the upper post mast,which will carry the signal lights,(just dummies unfortunately),though I've still to fit the cross tree part of the mast.(Again just plastic tube,in order to keep the top weight down). :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:59 pm »

Not a great deal to report today,but that's the wheelhouse windows framed and glazed now.

Dreadstar

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »

I hoped that I'd be quick enough to catch the post before it froze in place.   Ah well. Towing bollard bolted into place on the rear deck using two M4 bolts.

murphy1570

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:58 am »

Hello Dredstar
I have just came accross your post on the King Midasi bought this kit on e bay some time ago and as a relative novice to model boats and using styrene, it was great to find your post the kit came with a motor prop tube etc, can you tell me if this is suitable for radio control using the motor etc supplied, and also any more advice on where the model  needs strenthining, and painting and finishing the model?
Can you let me know if you are posting any more info on your progress re the build? as Iwould find this of great help.
Thanks all the best,John.

Dreadstar

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 08:42:34 am »

Welcome aboard John,and yes this will be a complete build. What you have seen so far on this post is my current build,but you'll need to bear with me,as I'm not racing through this build like I did with my three scratchbuilds. This is my first ever kit build,so I'm having to be careful that I don't mess it up.
  Weak areas that I've noticed so far are the rear deck,which if you actually want to do any towing will have to be reinforced,otherwise you'll rip the towing bollard clean out,taking a good part of the rear deck with it. I've added a couple of pics so that you can see where I've reinforced the underside of the deck,and where I've increased the height of the access hatch sides. In answer to your other question,yes you can use the supplied motor to power this tug by R/C means,though I think that I'll be changing mine to either a 385 or 380. I haven't worked out yet just how I'm going to mount the servo for the steering,as the shape of the hull makes this a little tricky. When it comes to painting however,I'm not the best person to ask,as my painting tends to leave a lot to be desired. To be honest John,I havent even decided on the colours that I'm going to paint it yet,that'll need to wait until I've built the model first.
  Personally,I don't like the kit propshaft assembly,as the outer tube has no shaft seals,and is of a slightly too large a bore for my liking.I'm seriously thinking of ordering up a new one,thats of a better quality than this kit supplied one. I can see water getting into the hull of the boat very easily with the current set-up,even with the proptube filled with Vaseline,as the tube ends are open.
  Just keep watching this post for further thoughts and pics of my build.

David.

murphy1570

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

Hello David

Thanks for your quick reply the photos of your buid will be a great help to me and also the info on strengthining the rear deck,
I will follow your post with interest, I note you say you did three scratch buids prior to this kit are these posted on the site, if they are where would I find them? when it comes to painting I am not to clever at it myself in fact the word rubbish springs to mind !! I like the colours shown on the posting by Martin I will try to e mail him for any tips/advice on how to achieve this type of finish.
Thanks again David all the best, John.                         

Dreadstar

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 06:52:28 am »

If you look about a third of the way down on page 1 of the beginners section,you'll find HMS Cyclops.....Dreads next build. Also try these links.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24729.msg243258#msg243258
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23827.msg233671#msg233671

Dreadstar

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:55 pm »

I've managed to do a bit more to her today:- I've added the roof support beams for the wheelhouse,as well as partitioning off the rear section of the cabin;started work on a basic control panel for the cab;mounted the forward winch,and built up and fitted the bollards to the bullwork.
  I know that it's all fiddly things that I'm doing just now because,I still haven't decided on how I'm going to build the upper deck,do I leave it as standard;do I cut it away as was done in the photo that Martin posted;do I cut out openings in the upper deck and fit steps up to the upper deck? These are the three options that I have running through my head at the moment,any one of which are a viable option,but I'm having a hard time deciding on which version to build.
  The next decision that I have to make,is what do I do with the main superstructure,do I add the tow hook as standard,(I'll need to drill and tap it 3mm and mount it to the reinforced upper rear bulkhead),or do I leave her as a rear bollard towing tug only? I don't suppose it really matters much,as I've no intention of using her for any sort of towing competition,she'll just be used for fon and rescues.

Dreadstar

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 05:06:02 pm »

Now I'm not too sure about the number of lights,but that's the mainmast completed.

Dreadstar

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 03:27:00 pm »

I didn't like the kit supplied propshaft,so I ordered a new M2 one from Marks Model Bits,and boy is he fast,next day delivery,A1. I've had no time over the last couple of days to do any work on the wee Midas,so I thought that I'd stick the new parts roughly in place with Whitetac,  just to see how she'll look. I still haven't decided whether or not to fit the towhook,so it's just sitting on the rear deck for asthetic purposes. The new propshaft is in,but nothing as yet has been glued on the inside,as I'll need to modify the motor mount moulding to accomodate the new motor. I intend keeping the shaft mount end on the moulding,and just cutting off the rest,to allow me to fit a proper wooden mount. I've still to figure out where I'm going to put the servo mounts too.
  I ordered up a ships horn,two airvents and two liferaft containers,all in 1/72nd scale. These have been placed in their roughly finished positions. The bridge walkway walls have been fitted,though these will be getting gaps cut in them to accomodate the liferafts and rear access steps.
  Let me know if you think that this'll look respectably like a real tug,or is it too fantasy looking?

Dreadstar

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »

Ok,so my painting leaves a lot to be desired,and the instrument panel is just something I thought up,but here's the bridge's current condition.

Dreadstar

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

I had to take SWMBO christmas shopping today,so I've not really had any time to build again today,but I did manage to put together the liferaft holder/launchers today. ( Please forgive the poor quality of the pics.) Once I finish off the upper deck,I'll be able to move onto the main superstructure.

Dreadstar

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »

Oh boy,is it ever good to get your decent camera back,what a difference from the 5.0Mpx that I'd had to resort to. Having said that,my decent one is only 7.1Mpx,but it's a Nikon,rather than an old Olympus.
 Anyway,I've finally gotten around to epoxying in the propshaft,at just the right angle that I can fit the 40mm 3-blade prop that I bought for her. Now I'll need to be really careful about just how much throttle I use,as she's got a 380 motor in her. It should certainly give her a good amount of power for towing purposes,both in pushing and pulling. ESC wise,she'll be fitted with a Nosram Hawk Power Reverse 15T limit speed controller,which will definately be big enough,with the added benefit that it's totally waterproof weighs just 19g and is only 26mm square.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

Looking good!  What glue are you using?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.