Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: King Midas Tug  (Read 27120 times)

Dreadstar

Re: King Midas Tug
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

Mostly I'm using Plastic Weld Martin,even though I prefer Mek Pak,but it's ruddy difficult to get nowadays. I told you that this wasn't going to be a rush build like the previous three. With this being,all be it a basic kit,I need to take my time with it,in case I mess it up. I still haven't got a finished picture of the tug in my head yet,hence the slow build. If I just wanted to build her as kit,then I might well have had her built by now,just awaiting the paint. However,I wanted to make a tug that suited me,but my brain has just point blank refused to give me any definate ideas,hence the constant pondering. {:-{

Still,I feel that I'm getting there,slowly but surely. The hull does need some reinforcing,though I'm darned if I can figure out just how to do it.
The rudder assy is giving me a bit of a headache just now,trying to put it together without the rudder arm fouling on the underside of the deck. I'll find a solution eventually,but it's doing my head in right at the moment. I'm going to leave it alone for a while,and hopefully a solution will present itself when I'm not thinking about it. :embarrassed:

The long Build

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 07:31:21 pm »

What about cutting out the stern section of the deck and putting in a raised section , then cover with a plank section, but seeing that you have allready put the bollards in not sure if it would look right.

Dreadstar

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

I told you that the solution would present itself if I wasn't thinking about it. I'd mounted the rudder linkage arm upsidedown,i.e.it has a high side and a low side,and you can easily guess which way up I had it. By just turning the link arm upside down,so that the large boss end is upward,it clears the deck no problem. Talk about a Homer moment........Doh :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

A pic of the completed rudder and 40mm prop.

Dreadstar

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »

This is not going to be an easy boat to ballast,with the electronics in it,I loaded in all the lead that I had,about 8lbs,and it's just about right. Now this is an excessive amount surely,the good thing is,no leaks.

Dreadstar

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 12:11:28 am »

Did a basic test in the indoor tank,whatever you do,don't fit a 40mm 3-blade prop onto this boat,certainly not with a 380 motor,unless you want it to plane. Trying to ballast this thing so that the prop doesn't cavitate when in reverse has been a tricky balancing act,but I think I've got there.
 I'm going to strip off the 40mm prop and try both a 30mm and a 25mm 3-blade plastic prop to see which handles better. I've still got a long way to go before she's ready to test sail. I'll be running this boat on just 4.8V rather than 7.2V,as even on 4.8V,which I tested her with, produces far too many revs to be comfortable. Nothing has been glued in place yet,even the servo is just held in place with a bit of whitetac. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 05:08:43 pm »

All the lead and the motormount too have been 'glued' into place with silli-sealer,I'm even experimenting doing the same with the servo. Once the sealer has cured,I'll be adding a small battery box and possibly a shelf to fit the ESC and receiver to. The good thing is,that the 30mm prop provides more than enough power for this little tug. The only real downside to this model is it's rudder,as it's like a barn door in thickness,over an 1/8" in thickness. However,I said to myself,'self,you're not buying any more bits for this build',that I'd try out the kit parts first,except for the proptube,and then after testing decide whether or not to modify some of the parts.

Colour wise,I'm not too sure,red oxide on the lower hull certainly,with black above,but it's the superstructure colours that have me stumped just now. I have White,Dark Blue,Black and Sand available to me plus a dark green somewhere. Any ideas gentlemen?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 05:28:51 pm »

"silli-sealer" ???
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »

Yup,it's what we used to call silicon sealer when I worked as a hospital engineer. :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 05:59:53 pm »

{-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:50 am »

I don't know what happened to the post I tried to put up yesterday {:-{  Ok then,to recap,now I'm not building this tug as quickly as some of you may like,but I thought that I'd post up a few pics of my float tests and the beginnings of my painting of her.
 I still haven't settled on a colour scheme for her,and I've still to work on the main superstructure,but I do have the hull more or less painted now. Nothing has been glued together as yet.

Dreadstar

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 04:19:14 pm »

A little bit more painting done today,with the tugs deck now looking distinctly grubby,not planned by the way. Decks have been painted,where appropriate,(Gnarlock Green),and the insides of the bulwarks also done,along with the banding on the funnel(freehand).

Dreadstar

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »

Wheelhouse now painted.

Dreadstar

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:32 pm »

No new pictures today,as all I was doing was refixing the lead ballast in the bottom of the tug. I left her sitting in the bath for 4 hours today,just to be sure that there are no leaks,and guess what.......there are none..brill. :-))  The only problem with this little tug is,that it's no lightweight,it's actually heavier than the Cyclops,by at least a 1lb. This has really surprised me,considering just how light this model is to start off with. I can't tell you the final all-up weight,as I don't own a set of scales,though I'd guestimate around 8-10lbs possibly. I'll try to get some more painting done to her upper works tomorrow,before I tackle the main superstructure. O0

Dreadstar

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 04:38:18 pm »

I've more or less finished the major painting of her now,and because I'm impatient,I took her down to the pond for a quick test. Now I knew that I'd get water into the hull,as the two halfs were,as was the rest of the boat,only held together with Whitetac. ( I didn't really have any opportunity to take pics,as the water was a little on the choppy side.)
   I couldn't get the tug up to even half throttle as,the water was coming up to the underside of the bow flange,and the stern was beginning to dig-in. Maneuvering was really not all that bad considering the thickness of the rudder in section. Once I've glued this little boat together properly,she'll make a nice wee adition to my growing fleet.
  I repainted the wheelhouse roof black,because the dark blue roof just looked too out of place.

Dreadstar

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »

I've tried joining the upper and lower halfs of the hull together with a bead of silicon sealer,held together with the bumper strip which clamps the two halfs together. I'm not sure if this will work or not,as I've had to repaint the hull,due to the masking tape pulling off parts of the paint. I'm not sure why this happened,as I'd prepped the hull before painting,by washing it down and rubbing the surface with 800 grade w/d.  :embarrassed:  It's a pity,as the weather is far better for test sailing today too,with the pond being very calm. Ah well,maybe another day then,and I can get some video made of her.

It won't be long now before I can start gluing all the components together in their final positions.

Dreadstar

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »

More or less finished now.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »

... not bad!  %)

Get some crew figures on there sir!

Dreadstar

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »

Don't worry Martin,the deck crew are still to come. At the moment the only crew members on board her are the skipper and helmsman in the wheelhouse. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »

Finally managed to get down to the pond today for her first real test sail. I don't know what I did to my camera,but it seems to be out of focus,unfortunately,I didn't have my glasses on at the time or I might have been able to sort it out. You'll note that I keep losing the tug in this vid,that's because I'm using a stick controller rather than my usual pistol grip one. This model is using a T4U 2.4GHz controller,and the throttle that I'm using is just 2 clicks up from neutral. She's running on a 3-blade 25mm prop with a 4.8V 3600mAh battery. I did give her a couple of full throttle bursts,but I was afraid that I'd get water inside the boat,as the stern joint went under the surface on full power. However,I needn't have worried,as when I finally brought her in after half an hour,the inside of the boat was completely dry. :-))

http://youtu.be/Go0yvEyoqJ0

ZZ56

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

Very nice and compact build, Dreadstar.  She sure moves out when you 'put the hammer down'.   O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:16 am »

Excellent job!  :-))

Who did you get to do the naming ceremony?

hama

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »

Great little tug, well done! She looks very stable.
Hama

Dreadstar

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:46 pm »

I'm afraid Martin that this was just a test sail,she's yet to be named. Any suggestions greatfully recieved,(within reason that is).  Speed wise people,she was operating on barely 20% throttle,remember,that it's a 380 motor that's in her and not the more common 385. For a small tug,she's got a lot of spare power,even with just a 25mm prop. Originally,I'd been going to fit a 40mm prop,but even just trying that in the bath told me that she'd be overpowered,so I downsized to a 30mm one before realising that I'd need to drop down to a 25mm one if I wanted to be able to attempt to control her at low speeds. :embarrassed:
  I've still to finish off the main superstructure as you can see,it's missing the doors and handrails still,plus the steps up from the deck to the hook level. I also need to lighten her a bit as she's sitting rather low in the water at the moment,but these are picky little points that can be done at any time. ok2
  Although this little kit is pretty straight forward,I found it harder to do for some reason or other ,than my previous builds,especially trying to fit the gubbins inside her,and finding that a lot of glues just won't work. The servo is still just mounted in place with a large blob of Whitetac,which seems to work surprisingly well. On the whole, I must admit that I'm quite proud of my wee tug,as it's turned out better than I'd hoped it would. At the end of the day,it's my painting that tends to let my builds down,but I'm still learning. :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »

I'm afraid Martin that this was just a test sail,she's yet to be named. Any suggestions greatfully recieved,(within reason that is). 

How about  "Lady Star"   (or the name of a loved one )    :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Dreadstar

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:17 pm »

Thinking about this a little more,and I was thinking,shouldn't tugs have a more masculine name? Now since this is a King Midas,what about Auric Rex,or even The Golden Touch? Other ideas that I had included Diomedes;Aenus;Viator;Speedy(because of the 380 in her);Legend; or even The Mighty Atom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.