Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: King Midas Tug  (Read 27119 times)

Dreadstar

Re: King Midas Tug
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »

I finally got round to fitting the steps from the rear deck to the tow deck;from the upper deck to the wheelhouse roof and the ladders to the rear of the mainmast. :-))

I've also added a new radar dome above the scanner.

murphy1570

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 01:03:37 am »

Hello Dreadstar

I have been following your post with great interest and the King Midas is looking great, but I see you say you  had some problems gluing the parts togther how did you overcome this as I said the model is looking great, would MEK PAK orPlastic Weld work on it? what glue did you find that worked best/

Thanks all the best John.

Dreadstar

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 06:30:05 am »

Mek Pak & Plastiweld both work brilliantly on this model,however,the problem comes when you are trying to glue non-plastic materials to this plastic. You must treat the surface of the plastic that you are gluing  onto with some w/d 180 grit if you want even Araldite to stick non-plastic materials to it. Superglue also works well,but not on for instance balsa. Keep away from the poundland type epoxy's,as they will not stick to this plastic at all  :((
 Most of this model has been glued together with Plastiweld,which I highly recommend for this type of plasti. I hope this answers your question John.

Dreadstar

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

Right then lads,I went out this morning to re-film her test run,this time with some full speed runs. She's a very stable boat,probably because of the amount of lead that's in her,as you can see,she's got a fair wee turn of speed. :-)) A vid and a few pics.

http://youtu.be/HLMioZrKIYs

Dreadstar

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 12:07:24 am »

I did my lone sailor bit today for about 30 mins,then had to give up,as I could no longer feel my fingertips. It was a ruddy cold wind today,not particularly strong,but cold. Having said that,I had fun just blasting the Midas around the pond at whatever speed I chose. The water was a little choppy,but nothing to write home about,even driving the boat at full chat into the wind,with water splashing over the foredeck,no water got into the boat. For a second level seal ,other than just the extended sides of the main hull opening,there is a liberal smearing of that old favourite.....Vaseline.
   It was however just too cold to do any filming today,though I did snap off a few pics. Just how did I manage to get to the pond today I hear you ask. Well it was quite simple,SWMBO and the kids went up to see her mum this afternoon,and I took the oportunity to nip down to the park whilst they were there.
 A few pics from today,trying to show the only two deck crew that i have just now.

Dreadstar

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »

I'm getting ready to head down to the pond again today,to give her another run. I've removed some of the lead from the bow,which has lifted the bow up to the waterline now,whereas before,she was running too low at the bow. I'm going to see if this improves her running attitude any,and see if the bow stays out of the water a bit more,rather than riding as low as it had been. Providing that it's not too cold,I should manage to get some video made of her today.

Dreadstar

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »

Well,I'm back and you'll be able to tell from the video,that it was a touch on the chilly side. I've tried to include a bit of a comentary in this vid,but it wasn't easy.  Anyway,here's todays installment,quite possibly my longest vid to date as well.

http://youtu.be/K6KcBMLERjE

Dreadstar

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »

Well,that's all the major work done on her now,I've just received and fitted the bow protector. Now I know that the way I've tied it on is not the correct way,but without using glue,I couldn't see another way of keeping the bumper hard up against the flange. It's just secured using multiple half-hitches and no extra string.  I'm just awaiting the vinyl lettering now,and she'll be more or less complete. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »

I went down to the club this afternoon,expecting at the very least,one other soul to be sailing their boat. Guess what,yet again I was the only member out on the pond. A few of the others weren't venturing out because of the large amount of broken branches in the pond,after Tuesday's big blow,which toppled four large trees in the park,one of them right next to the pond.

http://youtu.be/YqEBZxhiWZ4

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

Martin,didn't you know that insanity is hereditary...........you get it from your children.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »

{-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 11:59:56 am »

I managed to find another few figures to use as crew,the first one is only mid way through being painted. Name added to funnel.

Dreadstar

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:01 pm »

Since yesterday was not a good one for sailing,I took the opportunity today of nipping down to the park,to test out the Auric Rex under tow conditions. Since I don't have access to a barge,I had to settle for using my heaviest boat,in this case my 1/24th RTTL. I don't know what I was expecting,but she performed far better than I could have imagined,considering how small her prop is. I took a video,as I do,but I hadn't realised just how long it actually was,until I started to upload it. There was at times some pretty stong cross winds to contend with,but I think I did not too bad for someone who knows sod all about towing.
  Some pics and the vid.

http://youtu.be/tLHSEh0FHSM

Dreadstar

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 04:12:08 pm »

I was looking forward to giving the Auric a run around the pond today,so imagine my surprise to find it frozen over. Now not being one of those people who give up easily,I decided to smash some of the ice up so that I could at the very least get some pleasure out of the day.
 What I hadn't bargained on was the ice being a 1/4" thick,not that that stopped me overly much,but it did mean that by the time I brought the tug back in,I'd lost a fair amount of paint off the bows. I'm thinking that it's time to get some of my brass angle section out,and glue it to the prow of the boat,just like all my other boats have. Hopefully,this'll help protect the bows from further damage.

A couple of pics amidst the ice floes.

Dreadstar

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

Found and fitted a short length of brass angle to the bow of the tug,I'm just waiting for the Araldite to set.The damaged paintwork has also been touched up.

Dreadstar

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2012, 05:36:02 pm »

A few pics and a short vid from today.

http://youtu.be/jBjxNgSvLEA

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

I want a posed photo with you and the tug for photo of the month please.... a preferably a pretty lady and the tug!

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

Now you want Jam on it Martin LOL

Dave

Dreadstar

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:36 am »

I've no problem if you'd like to use a pic for photo of the month,but you don't want a pic of my ugly mug spoiling things Martin. :embarrassed:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:35 am »

Credit where credit is due.   :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2012, 06:09:48 pm »

PM sent Martin. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »

For my first ever kit build,I'm really pleased with how with the model has turned out. There are still some jobs that I need to do to her,mainly a holding plate for the servo,which is still just held in place with a blob of Whitetac. Other than that,apart from maybe some more deck clutter and towline guard rails,I think that she's more or less finished.
 She has turned out to be a very stable and fun little boat to sail,with a lot of reserve power,thanks to the 380 motor that I used. I may at a later time change this motor for a 385,which will allow me to utilize larger props than the diminutive 25mm one that she has just now.  For a beginner,this should make quite a nice model,though the instructions could be better,I ended up not using the included motor mount/battery tray,as I couldn't figure out a way to get the batteries to fit,other than that,I really liked the kit. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

Time for some repair work,namely the rudder. Yesterday,I was having great fun pushing large sheets of ice around the pond with no problems whatsoever,however,when it came time to reverse out of the floes,I struck the rudder on something which effectively caused the rudder to spin free on the shaft.  :((
Today,I cut off the kit rudder and I'm in the process of making and installing a new one. Now aluminium or brass plate are something that I just don't have,so I'm going to try out an alternative,namely 0.40" plasticard with reinforcing brass hinge clamp strips. This has been Araldited to the rudder shaft,with the brass strips clamped round the shaft with pliers and glued as well. I may well require to add more brass strip to the trailing edge of the rudder to reinforce the plasticard,what do you think?
 You can see in these photo's just how small her 25mm prop really is in relation to the rudder.

Dreadstar

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »

Oh well,I'll need to wait 'til sometime next week in order to test out the new rudder. Weather wise today,it's been great,and where have I been....IKEA and various other establishments. The middle daughter decided she wanted to go buy a new set of chest-of drawers and other storage type products,as her mum is busy decorating her room.(I'm not trusted with papering  ;) ) The only good thing about IKEA is the hot-dogs. O0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.