Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Merchant Ships  (Read 39659 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old Merchant Ships
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »

Only one more selection after this one (!)
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »

Final 2 of this book. They are all on a CD at much higher definition than you see here. The CD also contains the fleet lists of all the companies shown. The fleet lists include details of launch dates, tonnages and dimensions...as owned by these companies back in the 1950s.
If your'e interested in a copy of the CD just send me an e-mail (address under the "profile button")...preferably not a PM as I'd need to know your e-mail address to respond. BY.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »

Birtley (3)  East Coast Collier

A brief history of three ships with the same name, and all built by Wood, Skinner & Co for the Burnett Steamship Co. Ltd. The three BIRTLEYS were all destine to be lost along the East Coast and provide some colourful history along the way. The first BIRTLEY, built in 1900, ran ashore along Flamborough Head in November of 1905 and became a total loss there. The second BIRTLEY, built in 1906, was to rpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat off Filey Bay in 1918 with the loss of all hands.

The third BIRTLEY, built in 1923, first ran aground at Whitburn in 1930 but was refloated, then again in 1941, she was driven ashore on the long sands at Tynemouth and her crew rescued by the Tynemouth Lifeboat. She was once more refloated and finally, whilst on passage from London to the Tyne, she sank in the Wa sh Approaches after detonating a German laid mine.

ref Carl Racey, A Century of Steamship Losses

Here is a picture of the third Birtley, the yard she was made in, one of her groundings, and the start of an EeZeBilt model of her...

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

Sailed on the Oregis several times good time

In those days we had the crew to maintain them

Red lead was real paint not todays dishwater

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:36 pm »

I've been looking for some more MV Villegas or Wavecrest images
but no luck yet - sometimes things just catch my eye and I want
to follow up - just a diversion.
Dave

dave301bounty

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »

Chapman,s   one of my old ships ,slave driver ,and the ore carrier ,what a ship everything went red for days .good old times ,and thanks for posting them one day ,maybe I,ll get some out ,just a lot of work to sort them all ,memories .

windyblow

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

Good to see the old cargo boats featured rather than the high profile liners. It brought back many memories. It would have evoked even more nostalgia to have seen Ellerman Wilson boats featured as I did my first voyage as a Junior Engineer (sixer)on the Marengo, winter North Atlantic leaving home port of Hull on Christmas Eve. A real baptism of fire, boy was I seasick for the 10 day slog to St. Johns Newfoundland. Still did not miss a watch even if missed all meals. Real workhorses on regular trade of newspaper,grain ,mollasses etc. Hull/Canada. I understand this was the Ellerman families personal fleet and flew their own houseflag.Green hull, red funnel ,single island. The North Atlantic fleet were six thousand tonners, then there was the fleet of 3/4 thousand tonners on the Scandinavian trade and a couple of tramps plying the Meditteranian trade. A very neat and tidy small personal fleet of working cargo boats.
        For the records the Atlantic boats were triple expansion engines withe Baur Wach exhaust steam turbine and four Scotch boilers. A very efficient unit.
        My time with Wilsons was in the 1950s, before I graduated to the luxuries of the Union Castle Line.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

Sorry, I thought that I'd mentioned E-Wilsons when I did the "E" section. Perhaps not. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »

By now most of you will know that my main interests lie within the Mercantile field.
However, reluctant as I am to involve the "Royal Navy" in any of my endeavours, I recently found a long forgotten and ignored book on a shelf depicting the RN as it was in 1936. Quite a rarity I think. The quality of the pics outstrips the photos published in "Janes" of the time, and also includes the reasoning behind the formation of "The Fleet" at the time.
    To be honest, I'm a bit unsure about where, and how much of it to post here. But if any of you want a few samples posted I'll happily do it.
    Some replies required here. Regards. BY.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »

Hi Bryan

Why not post it up as a seperate thread?
I like this thread just the way it is - if it was on Sky
I'd have it set on autoview and series link :-)) plus repeats.

Your thread though, so your the Man O0

Dave.......'Still shakin' the tree here boss' (erm just had a 'Cool Hand Luke' moment there) %%

pugwash

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »

Bryan I think a separate thread would be a great idea for your Fleet Review

Geoff

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »

Never really thought this one through, did I. Your'e right. Same heading but new thread.
Not just yet though.....I'm not through with the merch yet. Ta, Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

Well, what a traumatic time has been had by all.
At least I've been promoted from "Guest" to "Deck Boy"! (Or "peggy" as he was known back in the dark ages of the 1950s.
Now all I have to do is to trawl through the photos I've posted and those I haven't.
Re the 1936 pictures of the RN, I gave a copy to "Pugwash" last sunday and I await his review before I post any of it....mainly because I really have no idea (or interest) in the doings of the RN.
While I'm putting my head back together I thought I might illustrate the ships of some "foreign" countries to show what the competition was like during the "post war" years. Continue soon. Bryan.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2012, 05:12:05 pm »

Bryan I sent you an e-mail on Sunday evening after I had spent very pleasant couple of hours reading the CDs contents.
Some of the photos are really clear and could have been taken within the last few years  and not 75 yrs ago.
Like a modern ship reference book there is a useful bit of info on each class as well as the pics
I think it would make an interesting post on here.
Well worth the effort I think

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:51 pm »

Bryan I sent you an e-mail on Sunday evening after I had spent very pleasant couple of hours reading the CDs contents.
Some of the photos are really clear and could have been taken within the last few years  and not 75 yrs ago.
Like a modern ship reference book there is a useful bit of info on each class as well as the pics
I think it would make an interesting post on here.
Well worth the effort I think

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. Just what I needed to get rolling again. Bryan. (PS....e-mail not rec'd due to the "crash no doubt!).

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2012, 08:00:37 pm »

OH great guns ,one of my old companies there ,Tates,s Sugar Line .I sailed on the Producer ,she was using a prototype J type Doxford ,trip before I joined her the third engineer was killed ,crankcase explosion ,I joined to replace him and did,nt find out till outside on the way to the Cape ,lovely ships though .

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »

OH great guns ,one of my old companies there ,Tates,s Sugar Line .I sailed on the Producer ,she was using a prototype J type Doxford ,trip before I joined her the third engineer was killed ,crankcase explosion ,I joined to replace him and did,nt find out till outside on the way to the Cape ,lovely ships though .
Dave.  When I was a pre-sea cadet at South Shields Marine College (1956) I used to put on my cadet uniform and just wander through the gates of Smiths Docks (North Shields) and then and then just  wander around any ship that took my fancy. No-one took any notice of me...assuming that I belonged there. I learned a lot from those walks. But I well remember the "Jamaica Producer" as she smelled different compared to the other "dry cargo" ships. But, although very small when compared to more modern ships, she had an aura of grandeur about her. A bit like visiting a real Victorian hotel these days. I can't recall how many passengers she carried, but I'm sure that they were well looked after and treated well. I also think that it may well have been a bit pricey to travel on her. Much better to be paid for the privelege! BY.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:30 am »

I'm back lads though ........
It seems I have an alter ego everywhere - mckenzig?
I mean, do I look like a mckenzig?

Post some pics please Bryan - go on surprise me :}

Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »

I'm going to struggle a bit now.
The previous pictures have been of ships in the British Merchant Navy. The later pics were, by and large, of ships built in the post-war years of the 1950s. But it shouldn't be forgotten that just about all foriegn countries were also building up their own Merchant fleets. Particularly the N.European nations.
Germany, France, Holland, All the Scandinavian countries had fleets that in many cases outclassed the British fleet in size of fleet, quality of build,crew training and pure visual appeal. Even the Swiss had a sizeable fleet. Only the top few of the UK companies could really match these new fleets for "presentation" at the time. One huge exception was the international fleet of US registered ships. Invariably "ugly" and equally invariably; "throwbacks" from WW2. Only my opinion, but the USA has always suffered from a kind of isolationism and disregards the rest of the world. The USSR (in the 1950s) were not really a big player on the International shipping stage....that came later. Spain, Italy Greece etc had a hodgepodge of ships....only Yugoslavia had made some sort of effort.
But here's just a small sample.
I particularly like the "Frida Dan" (Danish). Those of you with long memories will recall that "Magga Dan" was used by the RN as the Antarctic ship before "Endurance" was introduced.
I include the "Cobetas" as a pretty fair example of the Spanish MN during the 50s.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »

And most of you will remember the Anita Dan.  Better known as HMS Endurance after being bought by the RN in 1967

Geoff

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »

see the Collyto ,she has a Reas and two Cock tugs on ,must be taking her round the nuckle at East float  memories   good though keep them coming .please.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »

I think there were also Nella, Kista, and Thalla Dans

Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »

Geoff...are you sure it wasn't the "Magga Dan"?
I was thinking of pulling out the "Foreign Ships" bit as I thought there wouldn't be enough interest to sustain it..maybe I was wrong.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »

Bryan HMS Endurance definitely started off life as the Anita Dan

Geoff

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2012, 03:48:06 pm »

OK Geoff! So why does the name "Magga Dan" seem so familiar! One of lifes little puzzles.
Anyway....a few more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.