Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squires of Bognor Regis  (Read 6344 times)

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
Squires of Bognor Regis
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »

For those modellers who use Squires of Bournemouth be aware that this supplier is finishing at the end of this year, a tragic loss since many of their products will probably disappear with them . Order now if you need bits .

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Squires of Bognor Regis
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »

What's brought this on? Their website was only updated two days ago with the list of the shows they planned to attend in 2012.

I for one will miss their service if they go.
Don't Assume Check

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »

I always thought they were in Bognor Regis - maybe this is someone else.

Barrie

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

Same question...Squires is in Bognor Regis, not Bournemouth. Are you sure of your details?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »

I visit them regularly, no sign of impending closure so what has happened? They have quite a few staff employed there.

Colin

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:05 am »

I ordered from Squires of [ yes, Bognor Regis ] yesterday and the woman on the phone was upset to say the least that the firm was indeed closing at the end of this year and she with others would be out of work.
If you doubt this info then I would advise you check yourself. Also if they do not have a certain product in stock then you will not receive it as they are now running their stock down

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

Today I made another order from Squires [ before they close ]and chatted to the lady who says  the business is up for sale . A buyer seems unlikely in this climate

Tankerman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »

It was only three weeks ago that I was last in their store so it is very sad news to hear that Squires is closing, they have been many a model-makers' best friend for several years now and their mail-order service has been exemplary.

However there is a ray of hope for those who wonder where they can obtain all their tools, consumables and the other useful bits and pieces in the future and that is at:

http://www.eileensemporium.com/

They attend many of the better model railway exhibitions and they too, operate a good mail-order service.   

Chris             

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »

That is very sad news indeed. Still I suppose it will mean more business for the local model shop a few streets away which keeps quite good stocks.

One problem with Squires is that they are quite old fashioned and never adopted proper online ordering.

Looks like I will have to make a couple of visits before Christmas then.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:39:46 pm »

Make a list Colin
Make one visit
Save on the Biodiesel

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

Hi all, being in business myself I should say it is getting hard to compete with the internet in parts sales. The running cost of my business before I moved location was $12,000.00 per month. You are expected to keep a good stock of even the most obscure items.(We stock in excess of 5,000 parts) Contrast that with the internet site that cherry picks a few dozen fast moving items. Yesterday I had a call from an individual on how to install MGB exhaust mounts (purchased on the net) I was nice enough to tell him against my inner feelings. A lot of Net sites are run out of basements & garages with no overhead, no city taxes, no insurance & none of the day to day costs of running a regular business. We will continue to lose regular type hobby shops mainly through lack of support, it is easy to sit at our computers,( guilty) make a list of items that we want & email it off in a matter of seconds, in the meantime  the shop down the road is empty of customers. Generally when I go to my local hobby shop I buy a little more than I intended in the first place which is good for their business. Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »

Topic name changed
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmmac

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:34:09 pm »

Good news regarding Squires   :}
Squires were at the Falkirk Model Railway Show today and informed me they will be at the Glasgow Modelrail show in February.
I was told there has been illness which explains the no shows, there are ongoing issues and there will be changes but Squires will continue with mail order and attend shows.
Others say that there is a divorce ongoing and that they are closing the shop and moving to other premises.
I was also told by a friend who spoke to Eileen's Emporium in the past week they said they have been much busier and taken on an additional member of staff.
Malcolm

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

I visited Squires today and they confirmed the above, that the shop would close end of December but that a mail order service may continue.

I also spent more than I intended as usual.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

Paid a final visit today. Sale on in the needlework section but not for modelling items as presumably they will be needed for the mail order operation. A sad day though, especially for the staff who are losing their jobs at Christmas.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.