Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leander Class cruisers  (Read 3572 times)

kiwi96

Leander Class cruisers
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:58:51 am »

Well I have finally decided which ship to build after I have finished the Richelieu.
It is going to be the HMNZS Achilles as at the time of the Battle of the River Plate. Being involved in that battle so early in the war puts this ship up there in the history books in NZ. What I am asking for here is some links to webb sites for this particular ship and her sisters. Access to where to get some plans from. She was initially launched as HMS Achilles around 1933 before being given the the NZ government in 1937.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Adrian.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Leander Class cruisers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:47:45 am »

Funny enough I have been researching this class of ship for my next model. It is extremely difficult but I have got the N.Ough plans of Ajax to hand and a lot of books from my own Library that have photos  including the excellent book by Raven and Roberts , Cruisers of World War Two.
I have been in touch with the Barrow graving dock Museum who have a photographic on-line library showing various views of Ajax and a view of the Vickers model. However they do not have the model in their collection and think it may be in the NMM  ? I have my doubts since I know that the Vickers models , in the main , "disappeared "
Unfortunately the N.O. plans do not detail the ship as he normally did which leaves one to have to research the bridge a as well as other areas.
You will need to decide what scale to build to .My Ajax model will be at 1/192 making it some 3ft long and will be waterline.The plans show the ship in the 50's but I will build it for the early war period with different masts and a walrus with catapult and different secondary armament.
Will be interested to see how you get on with your research on Achilles, maybe the Liverpool Museum have info on this, being a Cammell laird ship. If you want to talk to me about this project I can be contacted on www.johnrhaynes.com

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:03 am »

hi ya there

The Norman Ough plans are drawn when HMS Ajax was on her last commission in 1948.   She had been modified at least 4 times since the Battle of the River Plate.  Notably she had the aircraft catapult removed; after the battle of the River Plate.  Also, she had a lot more anti-aircraft guns fitted.

There is another set of plans available which are slightly more accurate - they come Sambrooke Plans  which are drawn at 1/16 scale as she was in 1942.   

I am unsure as to whether these plans are still available, but, they do show all bridge superstructures and various other items such as the Type 279 aerial; rear tripod mast; & etc.

If you have a look on this Forum there are several photographs of the 1:96 scale HMS Ajax which I myself built - and the last comment regarding Vickers - the model photographed on their site has duly disappeared - for it is no longer in existence (as far as I know).    The Maritime Museum here in the UK say they know nothing at all about this model from Vickers - so it may be in a private collection somewhere out there  :-))

Although Vickers are themselves very helpful; when I enquired about bilge keels on HMS AJax - you know what I received from them - an Airfix Kit picture!!!!  As they said that was all they, themselves, could find.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »

Dave Sambrook's plans are sold by Loyalhanna dockyard in the States. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.