Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Varnish over epoxy resin and Halfords spray?  (Read 2580 times)

Jeremy

Varnish over epoxy resin and Halfords spray?
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:18 am »

What is the best varnish to use over an epoxy resin finish?  I applied Z-poxy resin and fibreglass cloth to my Chris Craft model and, however careful I tried to be, was left with tiny bubbles in the resin (apparently formed as it cures).  Light sanding removed the bubbles and I applied final coats of Ronseal yacht varnish.  This worked OK on the epoxy but caused havoc with the Halfords acrylic spray used on top of the epoxy below the waterline.  The paint surface bubbled up and the varnish clearly didn't stick - instantly lifted by masking tape  >:-o.  Is there a varnish which can be safely used over epoxy resin and, at the same time, over a Halfords spray?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

triumphjon

Re: Varnish over epoxy resin and Halfords spray?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »

as the ronseal yacht varnish hasnt been affected over the epoxy , how about removing all traces of the halfords acrylic spary and refinishing the below waterline with enamel paint ( shouldnt cause any reactions with the varnish youve already applied )  enamel can be bought in spray tins from wilkinsons , tins are 400 ml & cost £ 4.75  the only drawdack is the small range of colours available  .

aslo44

Re: Varnish over epoxy resin and Halfords spray?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:47:15 pm »

You could try acrylic laquer, I've used it on boats but unfortunately not over resin. Just a thought hope you
get the results your after, if you do please let us know in your thread. Alan 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.