Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snorkel sealing system  (Read 2613 times)

redboat219

Snorkel sealing system
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:00:04 am »

I have a 1/144 Kilo in the works with a David Merriman 2" SD. I want to incorporate a snort system to minimize gas use. Unfortunately the mini airpump I have doesn't have the intake nipple on top of the pump assembly  which allows it to be connected to the snorkel induction tube.

I can still use it but I'll need to route the induction tube directly into  the dry space and let the pump get air from there. To avoid sucking in water I'll need to use a valve to seal the induction tube once the sub goes under.

I read that this system is common with European RC submariners but I can't seem to find some photos how it's made.

Any suggestions or links I can go to? Thanks.     

bobk

Re: Snorkel sealing system
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:34 am »

I too have a Dave Merriman 2 inch sub driver with snort system, the 'heart' of my still to be completed sub project.
There are some extremely detailed PDF instruction on his site which may be useful.
http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/35/sub-driver-instructions.

The snort shouldn't need a separate valve. As long as it is breaking surface you can pump air in, move dive planes to bring it to periscope height, or blow some of the gas ballast.  As I read it the snort allows you to do repeated trim dives without expending compressed gas.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:02 am »

Adding a snorkel valve is possible, but shouldn't really be necessary. The modellers in Europe use a snorkel valve because they are running high pressure systems and thus pumping with piston type compressors which don't like ingesting water, unlike the low pressure diaphragm types used in the snort system.

You should be able to modify your existing pump without too much difficulty.

The pumps that have only one nipple tend to have the intake port as a simple hole in the side of the pump housing, you can usually locate that fairly easily by eye. Confirm it by powering up the pump and letting it blow air bubbles into a glass of water. Capping the intake port with your finger should stop the bubbles!

Once you know where the port is, scuff up the area with some abrasive, locate a piece of metal tubing (copper brass etc.) and do the same to that and epoxy (24 hour cure variety) it to the body. Then just connect your intake hose up to your snort mast.

redboat219

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:22 am »

Here's my post at another site showing my pump.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20134875&postcount=18

an option I see would be to build an open bottom box to go over the top of the pump assembly. A hole in the center of the cover permits the  exhaust nipple to pass through.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:20 pm »

I see. So the intake is the gap either side of the exhaust nozzle, correct?

Your idea of a box sounds reasonable, or try and get a better pump.

redboat219

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:33:00 pm »

I see. So the intake is the gap either side of the exhaust nozzle, correct?

Your idea of a box sounds reasonable, or try and get a better pump.

you are correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.