Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent build northsider  (Read 9556 times)

Gerryg

Recent build northsider
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Hi has any one recently built the northsider I have just purchased this model from Tyne models and as it's my first boat build could do with some help .

howaycomeon

Re: Recent build northsider
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:54:37 pm »

chipchase is your man he builds tyne tugs 

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

Hi Jerry, as you run into any problems  or have questions to ask go ahead & ask. There is always someone here more than willing to help & supply answers. However it will not be me as I still have a lot more questions & problems than answers, LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »

Hi Gerryg I have built Tyne Models Northsider/Ironsider I have some info on the model tug forum here is a link to my build. http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=188.0

Gerryg

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:41 pm »

Hi Brian check out your link i see tyne models must have used some of your photos on there cd which comes with the kit get link what did you use for the deck suports how did you find the build do you think it might be to hard for a beginner as a matter of interest what part of northumberland are you from ?

gerry

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:04:05 pm »

Hi Gerry I used 9mm square pine from my local DIY for the deck supports, the photos  on the disc you received with your model are of the build that I did. And what part of the UK do you come from Gerry. :)

Brian

Gerryg

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »

Hi Brian thanks for that the reason I asked where you are from is that I live in jarrow Tyne and wear so I suppose not to far from you !

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »

Hello Gerry and Brian (Chipchase) - I too have the same kit from Tyne models and a copy of your build photos Brian on CD that came with the kit, Welcome to a copy Gerry if needed.  Haven't started my build yet, not enough confidence or knowledge of 'how to'   {:-{ {-) {-)

Hope you do a build log Gerry, would love to find a starting point - had some friendly advice from Brian before buying the kit but didn't realise I needed a little more 'spoon feeding' than I thought and would hate to become a nuisance with a barrage of questions so I've sat tight - will be watching with great interest now.

Good luck with the build and kind regards, Tony.  :-))

sentry

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:50 pm »

wonder why I did,nt get a cd with my kit bought it two years ago now or was it three just before Christmas as a pressy to my self and hello Gerry I was born in Hebburn before moving to Linconshire 33 years ago.
                         Regards Howard     aka Sentry

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »

Hi all, the Northsider/Ironsider makes up into a great model. Gerry and Tony the best advice that I can give  you is take your time and enjoy the build. Gerry I live at Widdrington Station. Here are two photos the first photo is what you get in the semi kit the second photo is what you end up with.

Brian

sentry

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:31 pm »

Brian I only hope mine turns out half as good seeing our boats is what keeps my modelling thanks for the inspiration by the way is where you live near red row as i spend many a summer there.
                                Regards Howard aka sentry

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10:07 pm »

Three mile North of Widdrington Howard.

Gerryg

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:21 pm »

Hi folks how are you all Brian can you tell me what glue you use for pine to grp hull.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:08:24 pm »

Epoxy does it for me

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Gerryg

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »

Hi Ned any particular brand ?

Gerry

Gerryg

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »

Hi all, started the build I think it's going to a challenge ! Made up a rudder first quite a few things to think about does the poly cement that is used for plastic aero kits do for sytene sheet or is there any thing else that's better I used that to stick two pieces together but was not very strong as it came away when I tried to dress it up. ?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »

Hi Ned any particular brand ?

Gerry

Any proprietry epoxy resin such as araldite is ok but steer clear of the 'Pound Shop' varieties.
Some set ok and some don't, even the same brand.
Most are polyester resin anyway and stink to high heaven.

Plasweld or other styrene dedicated adhesives are ok for the styrene sheets.

A search on here will give you a lot more information and the are some helpful hints on
the Model Slipway website

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Gerryg

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »

Thanks for that med.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:09 pm »

Excellent build!

Northsider is one of the future projects Im considering.

Gerryg

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:45 am »

Hi Brian I was looking at your photos last night did you build the deck crane from scratch or was it a kit ?

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:58:01 pm »

Hi Jerry, I have just read your post regarding the deck crane. The crane was scratch built mostly made from brass and plastic card.   

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:00 pm »

Hi all, started the build I think it's going to a challenge ! Made up a rudder first quite a few things to think about does the poly cement that is used for plastic aero kits do for sytene sheet or is there any thing else that's better I used that to stick two pieces together but was not very strong as it came away when I tried to dress it up. ?

The airfix type tubes of cemment should be strong enough and shouldnt allow pieces to come apart. Are you sure both sheets were glean when stuck together? Was one or both sides of the sheets to be glued together 'shiny'? If so, you'd need to score the side or sides to be stuck together so the glue has something to grab.

TBH I've never has an issue with poly cement not sticking plastic sheet and I'd suggest either the glue had gone off or the surfaces were not prepared properly. You can use cyano glue for plastice sheet although this glue tends to be more expensive. I wouldnt recommend expoxy glue for plastic sheet unless sticking sheet to wood or glass fibre.

Gerryg

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:07 am »

Hi folks just a photo of the build at the start will post more as I go on.

Gerryg

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »

Hi folks one of the hardest things I have come across so far is trying to get the the deck level right is it best to put the support timber in in short sections or try an get it in a longer length any tips on this ? 

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31:09 am »

Hi folks one of the hardest things I have come across so far is trying to get the the deck level right is it best to put the support timber in in short sections or try an get it in a longer length any tips on this ? 

Hi, I presume you have marked the deck level on the inside of the hull and are happy that this is consistent and wheere it should be? I wouldnt try fitting the deck level just by eye.

Once you have marked this on the hull side, I would try and use the deck supports in as long a piece as possible allowing for the curve of the hull. Im not sure what the deck supports are made from in this kit (plastic or wood) but for the most part these should be almost the length of the hull with smaller sections needed for the stern as it is a tighter curve. I wouldnt have thought you'd have much problem with the bow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.