Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surface or Submerged  (Read 1910 times)

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
Surface or Submerged
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:18:39 am »

Quite a few years ago our club ran fast electrics to our own rules 7.2V 540 type motor no more than £20, most had Graupner Hydrospeeds and I and a couple of others had Graupner Cobra's. Back then a few of us went to a Electra meeting and due to the rules did not know what class to put us in but we ended up running not against but with another class these were 7.2V same motor but Submerged drive and our boats at the end of each heat had a couple of laps on them.

2007 I am now thinking of getting back into racing and our club still has its own rules 7.2V 2000mah, 540 motor closed can and run on a M course (as we did back then) most if not all run Kukorelli Rainbows.

But My question is given the rules of the club, and getting the right set up would a surface drive hull still be faster than the submerged drive?

PS any examples of recommended hull that would be faster?

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Surface or Submerged
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:26:59 am »

If you are going to stick with the M course the surface drive boat will probably be quicker but this does depend on the size of the "M". A tight course will favour the submerged drive boats as they are quicker in the turns but a surface drive boat will probably have the edge on a large course because they are faster on the straight.

Neil

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
Re: Surface or Submerged
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:24:08 pm »

Hi.

Bear in mind that a surface drive boat doesn't like turning left (designed to race a clockwise oval) so if you are doing a standard anti-clockwise 'M' you will struggle, apart from the middle buoy. On the straight I would always favour a surface drive boat and I have a small 400 sized boat with a brushless setup that will turn pretty much as well as a submerged drive of the same size.......but only 'right'. It will turn left but it's more of a 'curve' than a turn.

Cheers,
Ian.
 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.