Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A mystery...?  (Read 4931 times)

Patrick Henry

A mystery...?
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

Guys, does anybody know a Danielle Hall from the Portsmouth area?

I ask because she's just sent me payment of £35 via paypal...and I don't know her? Most strange...

Rich

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A mystery...?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:20 pm »

Isn't there a way to contact her via the Paypal account?

Dave
        ............ wish someone would end me some cash  O0

TailUK

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:01 pm »

Guys, does anybody know a Danielle Hall from the Portsmouth area?

I ask because she's just sent me payment of £35 via paypal...and I don't know her? Most strange...

Rich

Sounds like a phishing trip to me!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »

Services rendered???????
C

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:50:38 pm »

Should show the email addy, is it a standard , Ie Bt, Vgn media Tiscali  or a Hotmail A/c ..  Chances are they have just paid the wrong email address, But I Would leave it, do not refund and let the payer request paypal return the money which they will deduct from the account.

Have you sold anything for that amount as the buyer may have got someone to trf the funds to you, although I would have thought that they would put some info in the comments section

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:56:28 pm »

It could indeed be a phishing scam.

A fake paypal page.
I would advise you not to reply/respond/inquire via the email you have recieved.

If you followed any links, do an antivirus scan.

Also check with paypal, but from a different computer, as yours may now have been hijacked to direct you to the wrong page.

Q. Do any members know how to search for this type of thing on malware notification sites? Sadly I don't.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TailUK

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

It could indeed be a phishing scam.

A fake paypal page.
I would advise you not to reply/respond/inquire via the email you have recieved.

If you followed any links, do an antivirus scan.

Also check with paypal, but from a different computer, as yours may now have been hijacked to direct you to the wrong page.

Q. Do any members know how to search for this type of thing on malware notification sites? Sadly I don't.

If you suspect any communication about or from Paypal.  First of all access your paypal acccount but don't use the bookmark (it could be compromised) you have for it,  locate it via google and log in from there.  If the transaction shows up in your activity log then it's possibly a misdirected payment.  If not, log out and then forward the e-mail to paypal's "spoof" e-mail account.  They will get back to youi and tell you if it's genuine or not.  Clear the bookmark out of yoiur favourites and re-enter it from the google found site just to be on the safe side. Then contact Paypal and explain you that you think payment has been misdirected, it's their fault, let them sort it out.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »

I think its Krafty Kids ( Ben Halls ) big sister. I dont think she has any fishing gear at all though....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

I think its Krafty Kids ( Ben Halls ) big sister. I dont think she has any fishing gear at all though....

Aha!! Of course it is, he bought the remains of my old Seaport tug and has been struggling with his paypal.

Gentlemen...I thank you all from the heart of my bottom, you have solved the mystery! Take a well deserved bow, all of you...   :-))

Rich.

TailUK

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »

Aha!! Of course it is, he bought the remains of my old Seaport tug and has been struggling with his paypal.

Gentlemen...I thank you all from the heart of my bottom, you have solved the mystery! Take a well deserved bow, all of you...   :-))

Rich.

Probably would have been helpful if you'd been told beforehand!  O0

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

I've had 'spam' email from someone claiming to be Paypal, had their logo etc too. They were claiming something was wrong with my account settings. I thought it was dodgy as they wanted me to forward account information. I reported it to Paypal and my email service provider (AOL). There was nothing wrong with my Paypal account and they obviously didn't send it.
I guess if 1 in 1000 people do fall for it they could still get lots of account information. I still get them every couple of months so beware everyone!  :police:

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »

If you log on to your Paypal via google and there is money paid into your account, then how could that be part of a scam? I can see how a fake email page might be - but maybe I am just being a bit thick and not scam savvy enough.

Regards Dave

pettyofficernick

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:03:14 am »

I have had several atempts by fake Paypal emails to get hold of my details, also emails claiming to be from banks, most of which I do not have an account with. Banks never ask for personal details by email ans any recieved I forward to the respective fraud departments of the banks concerned. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

yorkiej

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:21:43 am »

If you log on to your Paypal via google and there is money paid into your account, then how could that be part of a scam? I can see how a fake email page might be - but maybe I am just being a bit thick and not scam savvy enough.

Regards Dave

Whoever it is may be willing to sacrifice £35 or whatever to enable them to scoop bigger rewards if somehow through your internet enquiries they gain access to your account.
The best advice was from 'the long build', TailUK' and 'tiger tiger' to leave it, not refund and let the payer request paypal return the money which they will deduct from the account and to check with paypal, but from a different computer, if you can as yours may now have been hijacked to direct you to the wrong page.
It sounds like a lot of messing about, and may be an honest error but better safe than sorry.
Good luck
John

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:43:39 am »

I do use Paypal but the thought of Internet banking terrifies me.

Having said that I think acouple of Somali scammers would be much kinder to my pocket than the wife and kids (18 & 25)  O0

Dave

TailUK

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:37:50 am »

I do use Paypal but the thought of Internet banking terrifies me.

Having said that I think acouple of Somali scammers would be much kinder to my pocket than the wife and kids (18 & 25)  O0

Dave

I've been using a well known bank's internet service for many years now and have never had call to to question the security.  The safe guards that are in place are unbelievable ( just try forgetting your password! What a performance.)   Users just need to be careful about what information they reveal and to whom. 

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:19 am »

Here in Canada we get these scams daily. I would be a millionaire many times over if I accepted all the money that has been sitting in Africa just waiting for me to supply all my bank details & just about what I had for breakfast. We get the bank notices too, but they are shut down straight away by our server. I can't for the life of me figure out how people fall for these scams. Mick B.
Mick B.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:52:42 am »

Stupid, or desperate. <:( <:( :-)) :-))

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:24 pm »

Here in Canada we get these scams daily. I would be a millionaire many times over if I accepted all the money that has been sitting in Africa just waiting for me to supply all my bank details & just about what I had for breakfast. We get the bank notices too, but they are shut down straight away by our server. I can't for the life of me figure out how people fall for these scams. Mick B.

Yes But in this case Rich has actually received the £35.00 .. IMHOP I think it is an error, The Halifax many moons ago when interest was at 15 %  :} kindly deposited £500.00 into my Visa a/c , I told them , they said it could not happen so I said Ok.. I left the money there and a week later they contacted me saying I had been incorrectly given some money.. %% and could I have they have it back. I did point out to them my previous conversation..Got a letter and a Fiver I think it was deposited.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 02:50:42 pm »

Rich.

My god, you guys cannot leave it alone, like a dog with a bone....issue resolved many posts ago. I look forward to this running and running....

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »

I think the title should be changed to 'Dangers of only reading the last post'  %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:53 pm »

I think the title should be changed to 'Dangers of only reading the last post'  %% %%

Ned
Well 10 in my case actually, never noticed  I read a few above but never cottoned on..  :embarrassed:

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »

Time for your Horlicks....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.