Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Billings Smit Nederland 528  (Read 4655 times)

Miles

Building a Billings Smit Nederland 528
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:46:43 am »

I haven't built a model since I glued the Yamato battleship together 50 years ago. I'm in software and don't have any serious workshop skills.  My grandchildren will soon be at the age where they will appreciate a model boat so I decided to build my first and see where I go from there.

So I bought a Billings Smit Nederland kit.  Lots of lovely parts, a few great plans, some directions as to what to do in what order but no help to a newbie on 'How' to do anything.  The guy at the shop suggested I search the web for someone who has built one.  That would be good but I also need some help on:
a) choosing a glue
b) learning how to bend the wooden bits
c) everything else I don't yet know about.

I found your forum, I'm impressed so far and I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Living 'down under' makes it hard to join a British club but, if anyone has any suggestions on the above they would be greatly appreciated.

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Building a Billings Smit Nederland 528
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:59:33 am »

Miles,

Welcome aboard, don't hold being Pommie that against the forum, lots of good experience and assistance here.  O0 O0 O0

Just ask any questions as you go and helps post photos so those responding can asssit.

Luckily there are a few Aussies, Kiwis and honorary Aussies to balance and keep the poms in check.  %) %) %)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:33:24 am »

As a suggestion, you may find this thread helpful:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10387.0

John

Miles

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:22 am »

Thanks John & RaaArty,

Checked out that thread - I have a fair way to go yet to get there but its stimulating and I'm learning.  I can see what a fibreglass hull looks like.  I now know I got the plastic one.

First question:  Do I need to trim the hull?  There is nothing about that in the 'instructions'.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »

Thanks John & RaaArty,

Checked out that thread - I have a fair way to go yet to get there but its stimulating and I'm learning.  I can see what a fibreglass hull looks like.  I now know I got the plastic one.

First question:  Do I need to trim the hull?  There is nothing about that in the 'instructions'.

The past few years Billings has done ABS hulls for this models. They work, but you have to watch that you reinforce it according to instructions.
As far as trimming, I'm not sure with the ABS hull, you'll have to check the instructions. The fiberglass hull didn't need trimming. It was good as is.

John

Miles

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:37:17 pm »

Thanks John,

The instructions don't say anything about trimming soI will presume fo the moment I don't need to.

In fact the instructions don't actually 'say' anything - just pictures and numbers, no explanation as to why or how anything should be done.

What's the best way to find someone who has built the ABS kit? Any ideas?

Miles

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:36 pm »

Thanks John,

The instructions don't say anything about trimming soI will presume fo the moment I don't need to.

In fact the instructions don't actually 'say' anything - just pictures and numbers, no explanation as to why or how anything should be done.

What's the best way to find someone who has built the ABS kit? Any ideas?

Miles

Miles:

As to finding someone who has built an ABS kit, just try posting the question here. I've done a  couple of Graupner ABS kits ( Seabex one and Elke). I don't know if that's of any help.

John

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:48 pm »

Miles,

I have the Billings Samson II ABS kit, there are some photos on here somewhere, posted by Martin, which you may be able to find.

My hull has a small flat return at the top, no instructions about trimming the hull.

But after going through the instructions a couple of times, it became clear that a timber rail was fixed to this return, so the hull was OK as is, no trimming was required

Might be the same with your Smit, so go through all the drawings etc a couple of times.

I take it your kit has a full size plan which will also show the "finished" hull shape.

Miles

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 02:29:39 am »

Hi RaaArty,

That was good advice.  I'd spent all my time trying to make sense of the 'inadequate' instructions and had neglected to seek a solution from the drawings. That's one lesson learnt anyway.

I found one of the less obvious drawings had the detail I needed to sort out some unmarked parts.

The plans indicate that the hull must be trimmed.  The top section of the deck mould extends between 20mm (midships) and 5mm above what is indicated in the drawings.  Next question:  How to trim the plastic. I purchased a rotary tool kit. Is that the way to go?  Any tips?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 03:44:45 am »

Hi RaaArty,

The plans indicate that the hull must be trimmed.  The top section of the deck mould extends between 20mm (midships) and 5mm above what is indicated in the drawings.  Next question:  How to trim the plastic. I purchased a rotary tool kit. Is that the way to go?  Any tips?

Miles:
  A rotary tool can do the job. Use a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel in the tool for extra durability. Don't hold the wheel too long in one place or you'll soften or melt the plastic.
You may also be able to use a set of aviation snips with the correct angle on them. Mark the hull, then begin cutting with the snips.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.