Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules are never meant to be broken  (Read 5538 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Rules are never meant to be broken
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:58 am »

Rules are Rules

Good  news:
It  was a normal day in Sharon Springs, Kansas,  when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal  train for the long trek to Salina.

Bad  news: 
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support  drop down and grind on the  rail,  creating  white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to  the rail.

Good  news:
A  very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back  in the train and  immediately stopped the train in compliance with  the rules

Bad  news:
The  train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden  bridge with creosote ties and  trusses.

The  crew tried to explain this to Union Pacific  higher-ups but were  instructed not to move the  train!

They  were informed that  Rules prohibited  moving the train when  a part was found to be  defective!

'REMEMBER,  RULES Are RULES!' 
 Don't  ever let common  sense  get  in the way of a Good Disaster!   

TailUK

Re: Rules are never meant to be broken
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:06:47 am »

One of those days, when all you can do is sit and watch your career and pension go up in smoke! 

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidence of wise men!" possibly the wisest thing ever said!

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:10 am »

If it wasn't so serious I'd be laughing........... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:11:09 am »

The real moral of the story is always build steel bridges  %) %)

TailUK

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

The real moral of the story is always build steel bridges  %) %)

Having travelled on US railways it astounds me how much traffic they put over track which is literally rails nailed to bits of wood.
I suppose burning trestles became less of a problem after they got rid of steam but the number of small bridges would make it prohibative to replace them. They'll propably wait til they've all been set on fire.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:43 pm »

Suppose, that when we think of it, Trees (logs) were used for trestles/bridges for the early railtoads  as no doubt they were readily available and nearby.

It would be expensive and a mammoth exercise to replace them now.

Also steel would be overly rigid, noisier and less shock absorbing than timber structures.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:15 pm »

There are a few wooden railway bridges still in use today in the UK, including mainline.
..well can you land on this?

ZZ56

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:03 pm »

According to Snopes, the bridge was already on fire by the time the crew made their way back to inspect it, not after sitting around waiting.

The pictures are genuine though.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:24 pm »

Backside covering by those above you is a fact of life - only the guy at the bottom has to explain his actions.

Dave

Spook

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 12:26:40 am »

Good news - In the UK we have "Hot Axle Box" detectors situated in strategic places on the railway lines. Also we don't generally build our railway bridges (or our houses, if we live in 'Tornado Country') out of wood. We learned from the tale of the Three Little Pigs when we were very young.  :}

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 04:22:18 pm »

Is Barry Tornado Country?
My Son has just moved there
I will have to check on the straw and sticks houses
Hope its not Barret Homes

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Spook

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:38:51 am »

Not quite Tornado Country Ned, but when the South Westerlies blow up the Channel it feels like it! ;-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:49:37 am »

We still have sceptics saying that climate change is all hype, but they must have their brains & eyes turned off. Canadian weather is pretty extreme anyway , but it is much worse now than when I came here over 40 years ago. I have seen a difference in temperature of -51 below zero to a high of 101 degrees above. you can't really describe it to anyone that have not been in it. When you get wind blowing 30/35mph at 45/50 below the temp is off the scale,( the scale goes to 100 below zero I think) exposed flesh will freeze in 30 seconds.Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 03:15:09 pm »

Hi Mick

As I read your description of temperature my wife is about to put the central heating on. I am comfortable sat in a T shirt and no slippers. No wonder fuel will become scarce and global  warming is coming. In about thirty minutes it will be like Borneo in my house............... and in this house I wear the trousers .............. well, just sometimes when she goes out.

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »

Hi Dave, we learn to live with it we don't have much choice. The people with lots of money(not me) buy winter homes in Florida, Mexico & Arizona. We do have state of the art heating systems & it only costs us about 2 dollars a day to heat 1400 sq. feet of house at 70 degrees (65 @ night) & all the hot water we use. We also have heaters in the car engines to keep them warm & battery blankets(electric) & interior heaters to keep the upholstery from cracking. At 40 below the door panels will shatter like glass if you hit them hard.  My better half & I are going to Maui this Xmas & New Year to escape for a few weeks. Last night we got 5 inches of snow, Oh well April is coming LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 09:16:34 pm »

Mick,
Must be just me then having "their brains & eyes turned off" then.
If you believe scientists there was a previous ice age then something terrible happened GLOBAL WARMING melted most of the ice.
This allowed Homo Sapiens to grow and develop.
So we have had at least 1 before human intervention could be blamed.
There is a growing level of support for other cyclic theories such as sunspot activity. orbital cycles etc.
You are just comparing the recorded rate of change now.
So how DID the ice age end without all the human hydrocarbons and CO2?
Just me closing my brain and eyes!!
I do wonder why now if the accepted theory is dared to be challenged we are all classed as idiots with our brains turned off, or could it be the present global warming industry with their vested interests and need to generate funding have turned others brains off.

Bob 
Officially a GOG.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:36:59 pm »

Hi Mick

As I read your description of temperature my wife is about to put the central heating on. I am comfortable sat in a T shirt and no slippers. No wonder fuel will become scarce and global  warming is coming. In about thirty minutes it will be like Borneo in my house............... and in this house I wear the trousers .............. well, just sometimes when she goes out.Dave
So do we all, because when SWMBO goes out it gets colder and you need to keep warm  :o :o :o %) %) %)

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »

With you on that shipmate60

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:44 pm »

I don't discount the previous heating & cooling cycles, what I do see is how RAPID it is happening. The last warming period took some 10,000 years to equal what has now happened in 150 years. I live near the large icefields(Colombia icefield) in the Canadian rockies & if you saw what is happening there you would have no doubts about global warming. I want someone to explain to me how burning nearly 90 million barrels of oil a day does not affect our atmosphere, & that is not counting the burning of coal, wood,natural gas,etc. Just our growing season alone has gone from 89 days to 118 in less than 20 years.The oil industry has also lots of money to put out false information. I live in Alberta where the Tar sands are. There was not a word locally about the distruction they were causing(they litrally owned the local media) until the international media got hold of the problem. They could not control that. If the Global warning proponents are wrong not much harm,but if the anti global warming supporters are wrong, what then. I would rather be sure than sorry in this case, & as I said what I have seen with my own eyes leaves me in no doubt whatsoever. I have also seen the lies & misinformation first hand, from the oil industry. The oil industry is spending more money than the tobacco industry did telling us cigarettes were good for us. Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »

It is December and I have garden fuschias heavily in flower, some roses still in flower, and two rhodedandrons are looking like opening any day now. This could be a blip and I don't know about the science either way, but people who live near glaciers shouldn't be able to see massive changes within their living memory surely?

As to people with different opinions - I say great - you can't have any meaningful debate without many opinions bringing consideration to bear upon a problem.

Dave

Spook

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 01:15:52 am »

Global warming. I can't wait for it to start. Winters have been getting colder each year here for the last few years, with more snow each year.

Scientists eh? Give 'em a banana (and a slap)  ok2

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:57 am »

Am reminded of the presentation, that shows superimposed on the globe, in real time, the number of aircraft in the air in any 24 Hours.  O0 O0

Think about it, and now tell me that is not warming the atmoshere to some degree, and having an resultant effect on climate, as well as burning up all that oxygen, which we will find harder to replace, because Homo Sapiens is chopping down all the trees for paper, building, development, etc etc  <:( <:( <:(

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:43 am »

but some chopping is so goooooood ................ for your model boats and plans  O0

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:29 am »

Arty, we have strayed away from your thread & I hope you don't mind as the subject we have fallen into is pretty important to us all. You are right Dave we should not be able to see the change in our lifetime, never mind in one year. I was on the Athabasca Glacier this summer & the Park Warden told me that it had sunk 15 meters in one year. It had of course also receded dozens of meters. We will be in trouble with lack of water too as a large persentage of our water supply comes from glaciers.We are too close to the mountains for any real run off ( just 60 miles. west of us). The climate change people told you in northern Europe that your winters would get colder in the short term because the melting of the Artic ice is cooling the northern Atlantic pushing the Gulf stream further south. You in Britain are at the same latitude as we are in Canada,your winters should be like ours, it was the Gulf stream that gave you your mild winters & made Ireland so green. The gulf stream has lost 20% of its flow & has moved further  south in the last while. The jury is still out on what the final results will be, but you can bet it won't be what we have now. I have spent nearly 30 years doing wild life & nature photography in the Rockies to the west of us & I can show you what is happening first hand. We can debate it any amount you like but you cannot deny that it is happening & it is gathering more momentum all the time. Look up the Columbia ice field on the net, also the Athabasca Glacier, Bow glacier, Daly glacier, the Wapta ice fields, nice to look at anyway. When I finally figure how to post pictures I will show you what it is & I have lots of before & after images. They are NOT photoshopped either. Mick B.
Mick B.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:16 am »

Hi all, I was watching a recent documentary on what may have ended the Egyptian pyramid building civilisation.  The theory put forward was that the Nile failed to flood as was 'normal', the water being trapped in large lakes and used gradually. At this time 2500BC another nearby  group was also wiped out due to lack of water.

A test boring to check on soil at this time revealed a 100 year period when there was just wind blown sand instead of rich black earth.
 They said each 1 yard of depth was 1000 years and the test bores showed at 4500 years ago there was a dry sand layer.
The information was passed on to an expert in North America and he looked at core samples that they had of this period and these showed conditions indicating that the Gulf stream had stopped.  He said that this was a surprise to him!

This changed the weather patterns from N. America to China.  The lack of rain in the upper part of the Nile meant there was no flooding.
I believe that when the Gulf stream fails then the cold conditions that may involve an age of ice can happen in no more than 50 years.
I seem to remember ( please correct if I am wrong) that the Gulf stream can fail if there is too much ice water coming down through the St. Lawrence seaway, Global warming?

regards Roy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.