Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Scratch Build HMS Opal  (Read 3317 times)

glendavis1971

My First Scratch Build HMS Opal
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »

Hi

I new to the world or R/C boating. Just over a year i was invited to join fareham and district model engineering soceity. After a lot of thought I decided that while trains do interest me I have alway wanted to build a model boat. The wife took me down to one of the local model shops and after about 30 mins trawling though catalouges order a 1/96 of hms royal marine from deans. Which i dutifully built and have run a few times and still trying to solve numerous problems so that now on the shelf. Dishearted I picked up a copy of model boats a club member was kind enough to give me shortly after I jion the club. Inside the magazine was a plan HMS Mandate by glynn Guest, while was reading the airticle my youngest son came in and said "dad o would like one of those please" so i decided why not. I found the glynn guest model a little bland for my taste and enbarked on a research project and found HMS Mandate had a interesting history so off I went and ordered the would and started building my first model from a plan.

Here's the results a 1/144 semi scale model of HMS Opal

I would be very interested to hear your comments and advice

Glen Davis

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My First Scratch Build HMS Opal
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »

Hi Glen and welcome to Mayhem,

Wow that's a great build you've done there. I expect your ready to build another now.  We like pictures so if you would like to do a blog, we would be interested to see it during construction.   :-))

cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

glendavis1971

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »

Thanks Ken

Yes totally hooked now just deciding what to build next I have a 1.30 scale r/c sherman tank so leaning towards a landing craft just which type or hopefully santa might bring me something.

Heres some pics from the sea trails which required the contruction of a lead keel under the hull to over come the stabilty problems i had in bath tests. She's now very stable and looks great on my clubs pond even on a blustery saturday morning

I'm very pleased with her and my son is overjoyed with his new toy needlees to say its kept on a self out of reach.

Glen

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

Very interested in the lead keel.  Is it removable?  I have to consider this option on one of my boats.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

glendavis1971

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

Hi ken

Yes its removable made from lead flashing folded over a brass rod which I bent at either end around M4 bolt. I drilled the holes in the hull and attached the keel using a bolt washer and o ring seal externally and nut and washer internally. Will posts some pics for you tomorrow

Glen

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:36:07 am »

Very interested in the lead keel.  Is it removable?  I have to consider this option on one of my boats.

Ken

Lead keel will only make it go down faster Ken.

Great first attempt Glen  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »

Superb work! :-))   :-)) From the waterline upwards it's hard to believe the model was built from a "standoff scale" plan. You did a great job on the "dazzle" camouflage paint, too!
I'm a bit surprised, though, that you needed to fit an external keel - the hull below the waterline appears to have plenty of space to add ballast using lead flashing/shot etc. What materials did you use for the superstructure and fittings?

glendavis1971

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »

Thanks Tug

Thanks Edward, The decks are balsa, funnels superstructure fittings and gun platform 1mm plasticard, guns and mast brass rod/tube. I tried putting the lead inside the hull but it still rolled dangerously so to it and using elastic bands to hold the lead onto the bottom of the hull and it floated solidly so i made a fitted a verticle keel and even on the windy we did sea trial and my eldest son doing is best to sink it with his speed boats wake its was really stable. I think as its a long slim hull it needed a very low c of g

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.