Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting RC Naval Combat club in UK.  (Read 23179 times)

Daemon

Re: Starting RC Naval Combat club in UK.
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »

Thank Uni, yeah, queensown is a good website, so is www.rcnavalcombat.com and www.strikemodels.com is a good source for hulls/cannons/etc.

Daemon.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

Here is another approach worth considering...of course the Elf `n saffties will point out the dangers inherent in getting pond water squirted up your nostrils :o  www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSi_Ydiyhgo
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »

Here is another approach worth considering...of course the Elf `n saffties will point out the dangers inherent in getting pond water squirted up your nostrils

Did you see those comments from the 'gun lovers'? It's a whole different mindset in the US, they just seem to love shooting things. It strikes me a really funny that they have a Department of Homeland Security that makes it as difficult as possible for the rest of the world to get into their country because we are all potential terrorists, and when you finally do, everyone seems to be running around with guns! real Alice in Wonderland stuff.

Sure, it's people that kill people as one of them says, but it's a heck of a lot easier in a country where most households appear to own a firearm!

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2011, 09:44:30 pm »

Model warship combat has nothing on firearm ownership in the USA,...
Flame throwers are not considered firearms... as some  midwest springer tug owners might point out.

%)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gyWbiUCcnpM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:53 pm »

Model warship combat has nothing on firearm ownership in the USA,...

Not directly, no. But I think it still stems from the same mindset of enjoying shooting things.

Many moons ago, 45 years in fact, I was a founder member of the UK Naval Wargames Society. We used to refight naval battles from Napoleonic to WW2 times using 1:1200 models on community hall floors. It was all great fun at the time and we did a lot of serious research into the characteristics of the various warships. The Society still exists although I have long outgrown it. When I was a kid I would have loved to have fought naval battles on lakes using BB shots to sink the enemy. That's what kids like. But as you grow older most people outgrow the 'bash things' mentality and it evolves into more sophisticated avenues such as the demos by people like the Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team who put on entertaining displays for the public based upon historical scenarios.

I have visited the States a couple of times in the last ten years and the general attitude to guns and 'the right to bear arms' leaves me feeling very uneasy. The closest I have seen to this elswhere is in Egypt where toting a firearm seems to be a common practice. That doesn't sit too well with us in Western Europe. Rifles and shotguns may be considered tools of the trade in certain occupations such as farming and that is fair enough but handguns are made for one purpose only and that is to kill or maim other people. As such their use properly belongs to the military and maybe the police although we manage pretty well in the UK without arming our regular street police.

Colin

wartsilaone

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 12:42:20 am »

It looks a lot of fun but I don't fancy building a new boat each time. I don't think the H&S lot would allow it.

These boats don't sink but they put on a good show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7R6Pf7fZdI

Ali.

nick_75au

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 02:05:06 am »

There are so many complaints of health and safety gone mad yet judging by some of the replies on this thread it seems to be self propogating by the very people who complain about it {:-{

I don't participate myself but our club is affiliated with the Brisbane Battle Group. There are many misconceptions posted here, Australia has some of the toughest gun laws in the world, even air-soft is officially banned yet we have several active BB combat clubs. It wont be easy to convince the beaurocrats but go for it.

http://www.ausbg.org/bbg/index.htm

Here is the rules O0
http://www.ausbg.org/bbg/bbg_hobby_info_Page_Content/AusBG%20Rules%20(2005)%20BOR.pdf

Nick

Daemon

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:05 am »

It looks a lot of fun but I don't fancy building a new boat each time. I don't think the H&S lot would allow it.

These boats don't sink but they put on a good show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7R6Pf7fZdI

Ali.

you dont build a new one each time. they are built to be sunk and repaired repeatedly... people are still battling with boats made 20 or so years ago.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 11:07:04 am »

people are still battling with boats made 20 or so years ago.

So is the Royal Navy so I suppose it's quite realistic in that respect then!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

So is the Royal Navy so I suppose it's quite realistic in that respect then!

Treason! Arrest that man!  :police:

Oh...hang on...we pensioned off all the guards, didn't we? Oh well...be a good boy in the future then.

Rich

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 11:41:56 am »

you dont need to re-build a boat everytime it sinks
they have a float thats attached to a long reel  ( id have at least the max depth of battle space + ~1/3 ) of STRONG Wire ( i think high guage fishing wire )
so the boat sinks, the float detaches and remains on the surface, so you can use the wire to either gently lift her off the bottom and get her to the surface where she can be pulled out the water
then its a simple patch and shes good to go again ( the electronics / batterys should be in watertight boxes inside so they shouldnt get wet )
every once a year or so, most people completly re-skin there boats

probs not a good idea but has anyone thought of the r/c Tank warefare kits that are avalible ?
they work on infrared light, so no projectiles to worry about
and after so many hits the loosers battle system shuts down ( or the whole boat if you would prefer )
this would mean the loser has so suffer the humiliation of having to request a 'tow' back to port
no sinking...perfectly safe...and readily availible...

sure watching boats sink is alot better for the kids as they get a visual representation of the battle, but once health and safety get involved it opens up like a can of worms
i seem to remember reading something along time ago that claimed that they could be classed as concealed weapon

ben hall

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »

infa red sounds a good ida if you wanted you could set a servo up to push a panel attached to the boat via string that panel if big enough when the system runs out will be pushed of and sink   no rebuilding

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »

yeah thats what i thought. if you want them to sink, maybe you could have a bilge pump that works in reverse ( pumping water into the boat ) that activates when your ship is out of the battle, that would sink the boat pretty quickly
wouldnt damage it, and would be much simpler to install than a sliding trapdoor

im sure i read that the air powered cannons would be concealed weapons, unless they had markers and stuff * including bright orange caps for the barrels *
i would think they would have alot of similar traits to paintball guns in regards to safety and operation

ben hall

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 10:58:18 pm »

infa red is the way to go

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 12:21:49 pm »

ive been thinking about this...and ive come up with a viable option ( i think, feel free to poke holes in )
yet 4 identical warship ( ish ) hulls that are stable ( thinking yamato or bizmark hulls )
fit moveable turrets ( 1 fore 1 aft ) to the ship
hook 'lazer tag' weapons to the guns
wire the 'recivers' to the superstructures
hook it up to 2 controllers ( so one person can control the guns, the other can aim / fire the weapons )
have a small hole in the belly but attach a valve to prevent water from entering.
once a player is out of the game..a servo would open the valve ( like a tap ) and water would begin to pour into the ship
if she doesnt make it to port quickly...down she goes
also have a free floating lifeboat on the deck attached to the ship via a long cable + winch
when the ship sinks the lifeboat floats free and the winch ( contained within the ship ) unwinds out keeping the 2 firmly attached
rescueing a sunk ship would simply involve picking up the lifeboat...and very gently...lifting up the ship off the bottom

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.