Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Brush vs Spray Can vs Airbrush

(1/12) > >>

bobk:
I am hoping fellow Mayhemers can help me decide which technique, or techniques, to use to paint a ship. 
I like the idea of an airbrush, and have read the excellent tutorial by ‘Oldiron’, but have never seen one used
The only demo videos online appear to be for stencil painting, car bodies or T shirts.

I am used to fine detailing with good quality brushes, and have used spray cans for car repairs.  The later gives a good finish over a large area but no good to do detail work.  Airbrushes appear more controllable, but still spray a broad swath a like on PhotoShop on computer (but without 'undo').  Infinite successive masking, airbrush cleaning, wait a couple of days, remask and repeat for next bit.

Anyone know of a good video clip on YouTube showing airbrushing models and model parts?  I am tempted to buy one, but uncertain if all it will really do is paint the basic hull and basecoat the upperworks.  If that is the case I might as well use spray cans and leave the rest to sable brushes.

The question is:  What can you actually do with airbrushes for a 1/96 ship?  Are they worth the hassle and expense?

nemesis:
Hello, Air brush every time, more control. superior finish. Even the basic spray jar is better than the brush. Spray cans, ok, for large areas but far too dear. Of course it all depends on your prep, regardless of which method you decide to use,  Nemesis

unbuiltnautilus:
 I spray paint and airbrush subs, excluding my Type VII, which I have been brush painting, but will airbrush on the final weathering. The last two classic sailing boats I built were brush painted with the intention of duplicating, in miniature, the tar brush effect of the originals. The CHANT tanker finished this summer was brush painted, then weathered with a combination of airbrushing and drybrushing and washes. Stingray was painted entirely with automotive sprays. R2D2 was painted with a full size spray gun and 2 1/2 litres of concrete primer paint followed by 2 pack metallics. It all depends on the prototype. For your 1/96 model I would mostly airbrush, but possibly hand paint below the waterline.
However,in the end it comes down to what you are most confident with yourself.

pugwash:
Bob personally after the last hull and superstructure I did it will be airbrush every time for me.
I bought an airbrush and carefully read the instructions then mixed up a load of paint intending to practise on an old sheet of melamine.
I got half way through the practise session and realised if you stick to to simple rules regarding correct pressure, starting to spray before you
get to the hull and not stopping spraying to after you passed the other end and keeping the airbrush a constant distant from the hull you
should not have to many problems. As the hull was masked up ready I went straight onto it on the assumption that if it was horrible I could
wet'n'dry it down and start again.  The results were far better than my expectations. As for the underside - as I can get a good match
colourwise I use a rattle can for the red and the black boot topping.
Definitely vote for the airbrush.

Geoff

JB:
Airbrush every time for me also, you will want to consider single or double action, I have a double action and its not difficult to control, the finish is far better than anything I've brush painted in the past, you will need some practice with getting the paint/thinner mix right for different paints but again not difficult, a compressor is a must in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version