Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jet drive speed controller  (Read 2090 times)

colin

• Full Mayhemer
Jet drive speed controller
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »

Good Evening
Can anyone help point me in the right direction, i am looking for a speed controller to run 2 700 motors total amps i believe to be 34amps. There is one advertised on the internet from mycro gyros but i have been promised delivery since easter and have now given up and looking for a nother supplier or method of operation that will do this and is designed for jet drive in that when put into reverse the motor first stops then a signal is sent from speed controller to servo to operate the reversing buckets then the motor re starts running in the forward direction.
All ideas suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jet drive speed controller
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

Please try Dave at Action Electronics. I think he may have what you need.John.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »

This is the info Dave at Action was kind enough to send to me...
"Craig Talbot did come up with a jet-drive unit and sold a few prototypes to Ron Dean but the thing was never brought up to full ACTion spec. We certainly didn't inherit the circuit for it when Craig passed on the business to us. We'd have made one ourselves but there is surprisingly little demand.
It's not a huge job to arrange for a servo on a Y-lead to lower the thrust bucket when you pull back the throttle stick; the better alternative is to have the thrust bucket on a 2-way switched channel and to raise and lower it before you apply any throttle. The big headache is that the ESC needs to run in the same direction both ahead and astern. We can easily modify a P80 to do this but it's only good for 20A continuous.
Hope this adds a few grains to the heap of wisdom!"

On the one I'm just finnishing, and Atlantic 21 with one jet drive, I have the reverse bucket on the switched channel 5.
However I find that the reverse is not very effective, and just running the motor in reverse is nearly as (in) effective. The boat turns on a sixpence and reverse is not really needed.

787Eng

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:55:06 am »

Was talking to Micro Gyro's at warwick and he was working on a new design.

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:53:33 am »

Thanks for the information. I will give Dave a call at Action and also see how it goes in reverse with out the buckets, my only reason for the reverse is at some point you always seem to need it if only as a emergency stop. Not wishing to be to critical about Micro gyros but this speed controller has been promised on numerous occasions after phone calls promised delivery at Warwick but forgot to bring assured it would be posted om return after show but still waiting.
787Eng the statement given to you was differant to that given to me at the show as i was told it was all sorted and done. My emails have not even had the courtesy of a reply.

Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:56 am »

I find the reverse will move the boat backwards, but it's not a brake!!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »

I manage ok with just using a proportional channel/dial on my transmitter to control my jets, just let off the throttle and lower the buckets down and give it a little more throttle....

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.