Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hecules Saito rebuld help  (Read 2403 times)

vette66

Hecules Saito rebuld help
« on: December 03, 2011, 07:08:40 pm »

I have a Saito Hercules that I got from my father before he passed away 14 years ago. Just pulled off the shelf in the shop and its seen better days but still nice to look at.

Few things:

First: What would be a good route to go with fixing brittle wood or wood joints on a possibly 25 year old boat.

Second: (see pic 3) if this is asbestos, as I suspect, what can I do with removing it and what could replace it?

What I would like to do with this boat is repair/refurbish it and run it once in a while. With just the boat kits being in the $1100-$2000 range it seems silly to buy a kit to just replace the top.

The motor still turns over and everything seems to be working still, just needs to be cleaned up and oiled.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hecules Saito rebuld help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »

Your burner looks non standard.Usually the heat from the burner keeps the tank hot and the Wood alchohol in Britain we call it Methelated Spirit comes out under pressure and it burnt. Have you thought about a gas conversion? The insulation could be Abestos string. If in doubt carefully remove wipe surfaces with wipes and dispose accordingly. John.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »

Hello Vette66 and welcome to Mayhem.

If you would like to reach the Steam engine boys you may like to post an inquiry in the Steam section while we discuss the brittle wood on here. I am not too familiar with old boats as I'm a relative newcomer but I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Regards,

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »

welcome to mayhem .I would keep it as it is ,it should sail well, BUT I would have the boiler tested and sort out the leaks that have been botched a bit should not be a problem.

John S burner is a standard sato one .

Peter

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:00 pm »

Peter what is the plastic pipe going to the burner from the boiler? At least that is what it looks like.To me it appears that boiler steam is connected to the Burner. My Saito burner is a stand alone item started by heating from a small container of meths.Then the burner keep the tank pressurized by heat conduction. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.