Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Hunter  (Read 4406 times)

Stavros

Happy Hunter
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:55:35 pm »

Well having now acquired one ofthose wonderfull beasts now the work begins.Having bought this kit from Spud knowing that the build book was missing I thought no problem,ha not quite,opened box and had an immediate nervous breakdown and said sugar where do all these bits fit etc.so the build has started with the simple jobs like cutting out the bow thruster holes well that was easy allready marked on the hull!!! I then went to fit the shafts and kort nozzles oh sugar how the heck do these fit HELP HELP .Well after meeting Graham from The Model dock who is building 2 Hunters for Model boats Mag it all became clear and quite a few other things as well,so hopefully he has stopped a potential nervous breakdown,I will keep you all informed with photos of progress from time to time and hope you will all enjoy the build

bigford

Re: Happy Hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:23:55 pm »

how big a mess is the boat in a box look??
i've always wanted a happy hunter  painted up as smit new york

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:23:42 pm »

This kit is defiantly not for the beginner.I must admit being a mechanic /engineer helps I have no build manual for this boat which does not help but he plans that came with it are well numbered and if one follows that I can see no probs,if you go onto http://www.themodeldock.co.UK Graham is building 2 side by side and will have a full build dvd available to buy in the not so distant future,I know that A Model World  http://www.amodelworld.co.uk had one for sale on their stand at a show on sunday if you fancy one. I have no connection with either company except being a satisfied customer.
If you buy this model you will get the full ins build book and plans so what could be simpler especially if you get the CD Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:33 am »

Stavros,
Robbe recommend 2 x navy Kompakt motors, these are 550 motors geared 2:1.
they power the model well but are very noisy.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:17:58 pm »

Have bought the complete power set from robbie which I belive have teh Robbe 1000 motors,they seem slow revving time will tell Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:41:49 pm »

Good, direct drive at last.
Robbe have done the same with the Schutze too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HUNTER

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:29:01 pm »

Hi Guys,
I have for my sins built two of these beasts - one as Happy Hunter -mmm and one as the Smit Tak Hunter. I received all of the alteration drawings from Smit Tak along with a lot of their promo stuff.
I would now consider the kit to be fairly easy to build but at the time it was a nightmare!! Forget the Robbe motors, I took two of the geared Decaperms out of their mouldings so that they would sit low enough for the drive line. This has worked well.
I have found the various language instruction manuals both in French, German and English (for some unknown reason, Robbe assumed us Brits could build the kit without any photo's so you need the French or was it the German manual for the photo's and the English book for the instructions. Then mix with the two damn great big plans both of which are about 5 x 4 feet in size and there you are sorted.
I have the three manuals and the plan sheets for Happy Hunter and the Smit Tak builders plans for the Smit Hunter.
Please shout if you want to borrow them !
I can give you further do's and dont's if you want.
Good Luck.
Graham

bigford

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:27:36 pm »

hunter

as much advise as can be given on this boat would be great!!!!!
i see one floating into my drydock VERY soon

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:50:31 pm »

Hunter PM sent

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.rcmodelworkshop.com
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 12:10:35 am »

Hi Stavros,
             I built this kit when I was 15 years old. Its not that dificult.  I have 2x MFA 850 12V motors (Running on 6V) and 2x 3 bladed brass props. I know theas motors are hi rev powerfull motors used in fast models but on 6V thay are ideal for thid model. Each motor runs on a 6v12AH SLAB and I gan run it for houres. I usualy sail from 8PM to about 2PM and still have plenty of power left.

I first used decaperms. Thay were not that good so i upgraded to hectorperms. Not too bad but a but greedy on the old amps. also the end caps are made from plastic and they melted. I had to make a molde and make new ones.
The model actualy got stolen.. Beleave it on not I got it back 5 years later. All the motors and radio and crain were gone.
I had two 850s in my workshop so I thought what the hay lets give them a go. Thay have been in there for 8 years now and still going strong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.