Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Death Map  (Read 4468 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Road Death Map
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:48 am »

Patrick Henry

Re: Road Death Map
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:03:20 am »

Gawd...there's rather a lot of everything where I live.

bikerdude666

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:49:04 am »

Just had a quick look, doesn't seem to have them all on there, there was a bloke deliberately run over down the road from me about 18 month ago but doesn't appear on there.

Needs more detail aswell.... the other accident in the area is listed as: rider of motorbike, man aged 37, seriously injured, pedestrian, boy, aged 12 died, but doesn't state that it was on a section of the dual carriageway, and the boy was dared by his 'mates' to run out into the rush hour traffic and play chicken......

darwin theory anyone?  %)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:06 am »

Its interesting when you look at the carnage on the roads anywhere in the world.  I'm probably not being politically correct here , and certainly no offense is meant, however, we have far more casualties (deaths and injuries) on the roads than we do in the Afghan/Iraqi wars. Why do we ring our hands over soldiers deaths, but pass of civilian deaths and injuries in traffic as a ho hum part of doing business?

John

andyn

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:01:35 pm »

Between 1999 and 2010 36371 people died on the road, whereas 109,032 people died as a result of the Iraq war...

That map is not all that accurate at all really, according to that a large down near where i used to live has never had a death...

bikerdude666

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:47 pm »

Its interesting when you look at the carnage on the roads anywhere in the world.  I'm probably not being politically correct here , and certainly no offense is meant, however, we have far more casualties (deaths and injuries) on the roads than we do in the Afghan/Iraqi wars. Why do we ring our hands over soldiers deaths, but pass of civilian deaths and injuries in traffic as a ho hum part of doing business?

John

Agree, think its because people think we shouldn't be there, or there are people (like my nan) who always goes on about the poor soldiers, (now don't get me wrong it is very sad when anyone loses their life, but...) but they are soldiers, they shoot, they kill, they get shot, they get killed they know what they're signing up for...

'spose I'll sit back and wait for people to take my comments the wrong way.

Also why is it more tragic for a woman or young person to lose their life?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »

Also why is it more tragic for a woman or young person to lose their life?

Because you only get one shot at it. Once you get to the average age on Mayhem you've seen a lot and done a lot, probably brought up a family and so have had the opportunity to make the most of your life. Nobody can take that away from you (except Alzheimers). If you die young then you have never had the opportunity to do anything to the same extent.

So if you are ever faced with the choice of saving a child or a pensioner go for the child. (if only because their taxes will be paying your old age pension!  %))

Colin

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »

Sad really, think I attended most of them near where I used to live with the Fire Service. You forget how many lives have been needlessly taken. Dave.  {:-{

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »

Interestingly, pedestrians seem to come off worse than cyclists (in my area any way). So maybe tcyclists should stay off the pavement and get back on the road, it is safer!  :-))
Don't Assume Check

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

Doesn't matter how safe you make the roads you will still get fatalities. - One of those accidents was within 1/2 mile of where I am now sitting.
19yr old gets as drunk as a skunk - goes to drive home, his mates try to dissuade him and when they can't they are then stupid enough
to get into the car with him.  End result - driver and one passenger dead 3 seriously injured - car had to be forcibly unwrapped from round a
tree.  From the pub to his home was the grand distance of 1 mile.

Geoff

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:18:50 pm »

Between 1999 and 2010 36371 people died on the road, whereas 109,032 people died as a result of the Iraq war...

That map is not all that accurate at all really, according to that a large down near where i used to live has never had a death...

your point is taken, however I was thinking of the military side of things. Didn't express my self very well.

John

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 06:35:22 pm »

When you join the forces you know what the job description is. For soldiers it is kill or be killed in times of war. However when the wife, mother, girlfriend,sister, brother, gets in the car to go for groceries, YOU do expect them to come home again. When a police officer knocks on your door to tell you they won't be coming home because someone made an easily preventable mistake, that is impossible to take & sometimes takes a lifetime to recover from, if you ever do. To me the driving standards are a way too low & the penalties not stiff enough. We should ALL have a driving test every 5 years. Those of us over 60 every 2 years (my age group) . Anybody involved in an accident or caught driving dangerously should be retested within 30 days. I personally think we could make our roads & driving a lot safer than they are now, it is finding the political will to do it is the biggest problem. 36,000 people dead is the whole attendance at an average football game, that is a very sobering thought, look around the next time you are at a game that will really scare you. Mick B.
Mick B.

pugwash

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »

Mick I agree with you about joining the armed forces and having to take the risks involved BUT you sign on to take the risks to defend your own
country or that of your allies not some backward country halfway round the world.  The money and lives wasted in Afghanistan and Irag could more
usefully be employed improving our security back home.  The military in Afghanistan has done a great job, but who for - certainly not for this
countries security whatever the politicos say. The terrorists are being trained and financed by Pakistan - are we going to go in there next???
Thats my rant over for the month.

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »

... this isn't on the map! - Luxury sports cars in costly Japan pile-up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16027006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16029582
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bikerdude666

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »

nhp651

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »

now that one could be very confusing for the insurance company.which ferarri hit which hit which,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

rmaddock

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »

The closest to my house was a 33 year old man, killed at 2am on an unclassified road. Only one bicycle was involved! Any guesses as to what happened?  {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.