Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor noise / ESC frequency  (Read 1794 times)

cuppa

Motor noise / ESC frequency
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:50:12 am »

I am using a Mobile Marine T4 with an Mtronics viper 15. Problem is that the motor 'sings' at low and medium speed and is producing such an unpleasant noise that even my young grandson asked me to stop running it!

I guess the noise is caused by the switching frequency of the speed controller and also accept that some noise is inevitable with a modern 'pulsing' speed controller but does anyone know of a T4 /Speed controller combination that is reasonably quiet or is a 555 type motor reasonably quiet with an Mtronics 15?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers
          Jon

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Motor noise / ESC frequency
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »

You can get controllers that operate at very low frequency (e.g. 50hz), but these will tend to be older models of controller, which are usually a bit bulkier and might not be able tohandle sufficient current. You can also get controllers that operate at higher frequencies, where the coils will still sing but will be difficult to hear.

There are pros and cons with higher switching frequencies, but personally I've never found the noise that unpleasant.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »

All three of my Mtroniks esc's whistle at some point, mainly at low revs. The cheap Chinese one that came with my TT trawler did more than whistle, it was like have a full orchestra onboard, it had to go...quickly.

The ACE esc installed in my Neptune is as quiet as a church mouse, you wouldn't know it was there.

ACTion Electronics esc's are silent in operation as well, as are MicroGyros ones.

Rich

cuppa

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

I will have a think about buying an Action Electronics controller.

Cheers
          Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.