Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6V Smoke Generator  (Read 3395 times)

Captain Flack

6V Smoke Generator
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »

I bought a Graupner 6v smoke generator (mainly for a bit of fun) and am currently running it on a seperate 4.8V battery.  The main battery is a 7.2v battery, can I run it on that or will it overvoltage it and burn it out?

daveorgan

Re: 6V Smoke Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:31:40 pm »

ive run loads of these on 6v in my canal boats ive also run them on 7.2v but they do not last as long when fluid runs out they can burn out ,
ive also done  lot of testing and research and if you go to ir on mungers and buy a litre of lamp oil you will get better quality smoke a litre will cost £2.99 and last forever a fraction of the price of smoke oil ive used it for 3 years now been on quite a few forums and they tested this stuff its perfect hope this helps :-))

Captain Flack

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »

Thanks very much for your advice.  Much appreciated.

daveorgan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

your better off getting rid of 4.8v and using 6v you get much better smoke on 6v 4.8 is abit low mate it will not produce the desired affect :-))

bikerdude666

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:03 am »

I've just bought 1 of these units aswell, but, does the outside get very? need to mount it inside a plastic funnel and am wondering if I'll need to insulate it with something? thanks

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:48:35 am »

Biker - as they don't produce that much smoke I fitted two side by side in a plasticard funnel. I wasn't sure how hot the brass ring round the top would get so
I make a small frame of 1/32 ply to fit them in which kept them about 1/4" away from the side of the funnel and so far have had no problems at all - to enhance the
smoke effect I also fitted a 12v computer fan running at 6v which gave a steady stream of smoke rather than the smoke rings it put out without the fan
Hope this helps

Geoff

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:18:39 am »

I put one in my Lady T, but it burned so hot it glowed, so I took it out. Never again.... {:-{

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »

Personally i feel that water misters are far supirior to oil based smokers. Water units use less current, will run for over an hour or more depending on size of tank. Yes the smoke does not linger like oil based units, also your boat over time does not get a sticky residue. Depending on money spent smoke effect can be linked to speed. Cost? A fogger is less than £4 off fleabay. A plastic or metal box a old computerfan and a bit of 22mm pipe. All this has been coveredin previous threads. John.   

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »

John there is one problem with a water mister - if you are building a 1/96 scale destroyer you have limited space especially amidships near the funnel.
a 6v gruapner smoke unit is about 2 inches long and less than 1/2 inch wide a smoker is a lot bigger- after my current build I shall be starting a cruiser
and will have more internal space and will then consider a mister unit.

Geoff

bikerdude666

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:03 am »

Misters do seem more popular, however there is no way a mister will fit in my 1/72 flower class, not with ease anyway, the graupner unit is basically a tiny piece of tube with 2 wires coming out the end, so small in fact it will fit inside the funnel, and running it off a separate small 6v battery I can have the whole lot mounted inside the removable superstructure with a simple on/off switch.

I have my eye on an MMB mister unit for a future project....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.