Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/200 Kaifeng Destroyer kit  (Read 7343 times)

john1951

Trumpeter 1/200 Kaifeng Destroyer kit
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »

Although this model is labelled as STATIc on the box lid, I believe it comes with a gearbox and propshafts.
Could anyone confirm this (I'm thinking of RC'ing it, so these parts would be useful)

Thanks           John

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Kaifeng Destroyer kit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »

I've never seen in the box of this particular kit but I did have the 1/200 Dalian destroyer and Jiangwei frigate from Trumpeter (I've since sold them). From what I remember, they didn't include a gearbox, but did have brass prop shaft tubes built into the hull, and metal prop shafts.

john1951

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

Thanks for that Edward. Have you got any ideas on what motors, etc I should use ?
I've seen some video's of these models on YouTube, they look pretty impressive.

John

g6hfk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20:44 am »

Hi John,
  There was an article on motorizing the kit in one of the magazines, in the article the motors used were industrial servo motors from Hunter Systems, I think the shafts and props are the ones in the kit.

I did get an old kit at Crewe Militaire in February this year, it does have the motor and gearbox factory fitted.

Have you got the kit yet, PM me if you are thinking of buying one

Les

g6hfk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:23 am »

John
  a picture of my kit as they say brand new in box

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »

Greetings all,

I have developed a taste for just about any naval model in 1/200 scale (after obtaining one of the superlative Nichimo destroyers some years ago). I recently purchased the Trumpeter "Former Soviet Courageous Destroyer" model number 03609. 562mm long one piece hull. This vessel depicts a WWII Project 7 or Gnevny class destroyer. Note: this is a very nice kit rivaling and surpassing the detail of the aforementioned Nichimo models. It was also similarly labeled "STATIC MODEL" even though they were once completely set up for motorization. No gearbox or motor is included but there are a pair of brass stuffing tubes and polished steel shafts still left in the box along with both styrene static props and a 4-piece set of black plastic props suitable for more rigorous duty. All are counter-rotating. I'm inclined to believe the rest of the "STATIC MODEL" kits are similarly outfitted based on my research.

Anyway, the lack of a gearbox shouldn't deter you as a pair of direct drive motors would serve better. I wish I had an in-depth magazine article on these subjects like what was mentioned since most of what I've seen done RC-wise is extremely scarce or from some Chinese site.

Did you make any headway into conversion of this kit, John?
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:27 am »

Any word on a forthcoming conversion?

If anyone has pics of the Trumpeter Kaifeng sprues or would be interested in doing an out of the box review, I would be gratified. These kits and their PLA Navy subject matter are almost completely obscure in the West. What is the construction of the gearbox? Plastic gears or metal? I think either has their own strengths and weaknesses.

I've a few sources on conversions of destroyers in 1/200 scale. This one comes to mind although it is in Japanese and of the Nichimo Shiranui:
http://www.rc-blueworld.com/dockyard/200/shiranui/shiranui_02.html

Motors appear to be Mabuchi type and are designated FF-050SK-11170. Don't know anything about them though.
http://www.hcsmotors.com/en/FF-050SK.htm
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »

On a similar note in this otherwise dead thread, I picked up the Trumpeter Tong Ling and QingDao in 1/200. Qingdao is the more precise of the two kits but they both need work for the super-detailer. The QingDao is a massive kit and was apparently at one time offered with a rudimentary R/C kit; the transmitter in the instructions shows only two buttons (left/right). Alas, mine is only a "Static Model" but the hull is a whopping 28" long and about 3" wide.

Get these if you like large and capable kits to convert to R/C. They can be found on that popular auction site from time to time...

The somewhat cartoonish box illustrations do not do the kits any justice. They look a great deal smarter in real life... %)
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:41 am »

Here is a conversion article for the sister ship in the series, the Luda class guided missile destroyer Jinan also in 1/200 scale by Trumpeter/Wasan Models. I really like these models.

In Chinese but Google translate works pretty well and the pictures speak for themselves: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1792140335?pn=1
~Harq

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:07 am »

I converted the Hangzhou kit but it never saw its maiden after my cat rolled it off the bench.

I know an excellent builder here in China who does fantastic work in the scale, both with plastic kit conversions & scratch builds.  He's got a Taobao shop but doesn't speak English so your Mandarin had better be up to the task. 

http://shop35710388.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.2-491975394.2

Here's a recent photo of a task force he's building as a commission.
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

I have seen that pic before.  :-))

We must frequent the same sites. It seems the Chinese are mad about plastic ship model conversion, at least more so than anyone else, so those sites are the ones I lurk on. I do not speak Mandarin but I would surely like to pick his brain as far as his propulsion systems go. I do see a lot of the inexpensive Chinese-made ESC's in use. I wonder how they perform...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESC-20A-Brushed-Reverse-Motor-Speed-Controller-For-1-16-1-18-Car-Boat-New-/280915472461?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item4167ddf04d
~Harq
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.