Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do i do when my rc speedboat decides to stop in the middle of the lake?  (Read 7632 times)

tanveer

as above how would i go about retreiving my boat from a lake the easiest and cheapest way

cheers guys

The long Build

Is it stuck ?..

Will the wind not blow it back to shore..?

How big is the Lake..  Find someone with a Kayak..

john44

Hi Tanveer, the cheapest form of boat retrieval I use is a dog exercising item, using a throwing stick with a tennis ball. The plastic ones from pet shops.
I have a cheap fishing reel attached to mine and I have fixed a fishing rod eye as close to the ball holder as I could get.
The fishing line as you might expect goes from the reel, through the eye and through the tennis ball. I tied a button on the end of the line to form
a stop. Then all you do is throw the ball (using the stick) into the lake past the boat and reel in and hopefully locate over the boat and gently reel the
ball and boat back in. I have rescued many a boat using this method

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer

hip waders :-))

Daemon

hip waders :-))

Swimming Costume  {-)

Actually, some people have a cheaper "push boat" that has either a flat front, or a catamaran hull, that they can send out to push it back in to shore.

I intend to just not get stuck in the middle of the pond, much cheaper, lol.

tanveer

i havent got it stuck or anything, i was just wondering as my miss geico should be with me tomorrow, and i wanted to test it out down leicester watermead lake. what il do is take my friends proboat blackjack brushless 26 incase i get stuck anywere...

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer

if you are in Scotland, it should get blown ashore, or if the forcast is right,the lake will freeze and you could CAUTIOUSLY wade out???

gwa84

springer tug  :-))

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

There are many ways to retrive a stranded boat. In the case of an "FE" =fast electric a good rescure boat is a must. Depending on the size of the lake or pond, one proven method is a good fishing rod that can be cast, using a some form of grapling hook on the end to retrive the boat with.

I have posted a few ideas for you and the last photo included is of my personal rescue devise. :-))

Windchaser
Merry Christmas to all.

John Mk2

This was mine a double size Springer ! The air prop was to blow smaller boat's in  ok2
P.S I have a moded Miss Geico great boat  :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKD7ZPvt5Y

MikeA

my rescue boat:

triumphjon

ive managed to secure a rowing boat for my rescues !

cuppa

Hi Tanveer, the cheapest form of boat retrieval I use is a dog exercising item, using a throwing stick with a tennis ball. The plastic ones from pet shops.
I have a cheap fishing reel attached to mine and I have fixed a fishing rod eye as close to the ball holder as I could get.
The fishing line as you might expect goes from the reel, through the eye and through the tennis ball. I tied a button on the end of the line to form
a stop. Then all you do is throw the ball (using the stick) into the lake past the boat and reel in and hopefully locate over the boat and gently reel the
ball and boat back in. I have rescued many a boat using this method

An excellent idea Sir!

Tombsy

This is my rig on a Traxxas Villain Ex, it gets a lot of use on practice days with the nitro boats, it's big enough for the 1/8 scales.
But as stated above the tennis ball gets most of the boats.
I screw on a ball link or something on the bow of the boat to be rescued for the line to catch.

Craig Dickson

as above how would i go about retreiving my boat from a lake the easiest and cheapest way

cheers guys

Hi Tan

The real problem comes when an IC powered boat not only stops but is ass end down in the water.....
This clip shows how I rescue mine if pushed beyond its limits :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwP7nB9Gqyg

MikeA

why did it sink??

Craig Dickson

It didn't actually sink.

The bouyancy in the front of the hull saved it.

The bouyancy in the sides of the hull has since been upgraded to hopefully prevent the back end of the hull going down as in the clip. Yet to be tested as in recent months the boat has behaved much better with fine trimming it out.

I should add that this was indeed a good test for my radio box. It did remain free of any water and the boat was restarted after that and back on the lake.

Cheers
Craig

scoop

cheers guys
When by yourself the fishing reel/model rescue boat as mentioned above are all good methods of retrieval,  :-)) if you intend racing no need to worry about rescue as a dinghy with outboard is always provided for such purposes.  O0

Cheers
Scoop

MikeA

It didn't actually sink.

The bouyancy in the front of the hull saved it.

The bouyancy in the sides of the hull has since been upgraded to hopefully prevent the back end of the hull going down as in the clip. Yet to be tested as in recent months the boat has behaved much better with fine trimming it out.

I should add that this was indeed a good test for my radio box. It did remain free of any water and the boat was restarted after that and back on the lake.

Cheers
Craig

is it normal for these boats to go under if they stop?

digger

I THINK THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED

Craig Dickson

Hi Mike

My Lynx (as rescued in the earlier you tube clip) stopped only after it dived into the water at full speed.

In that situation the boat will go under the water - quite normal I think. The boat then of course relies upon internal buoyancy measures to keep it from sinking.

If you are using certain types of Auto Bailers and the boat simply stops due to engine stalling, then again water ingress via a non too effective bailer may well cause the hull to flood with water in which case only on board buoyancy measures will keep it from sinking.

Cheers
Craig :-)

Craig Dickson

I THINK THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED

Where can I buy one of them from????

I fancy the one on the left....!!!

:-))

mrbiz

Buid a springer pusher tug , it is one of the best entertaining rescue tugs you can build.. Check out it`s history MrBiz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.