Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: huntsman total refurb  (Read 42232 times)

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
huntsman total refurb
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:36:54 am »

Hi I'm new to the forum and to model boats also.

As a child we had this model boat that we would take to the boating lake, set the rudder to a mild turn and pray it came back. It had been made years before by my grandfathers mate and given to my mum.
for many years i have been harassing my mum and dad for the boat as it has not seen daylight since i was about 8 years old but they wouldn't let me have it but out of the blue my mum offered it to me one visit to there home.

i dint think i can type my exact words when i saw the state of it but I'm sure you get the idea, take a look at this!

so after a good clean i decided it needed a lot of work.
I spent days and days searching the net before i found out what this model was meant to be. I found a pic of fairey swordsman, found the fairey owners club and realised its meant to be a huntsman 28!
The bloke who built it has made a few adjustments of his own which I'm putting right like the windscreen and side windows are totally different so i have cut the side windows off inline with the rest of the side, the windscreen has been totally stripped away inc all the bodged surround he made. The roof was uneven and covered in a rough artex type coating and was almost spikey! this has been sanded smooth and had remaining pitting filled. ripped off the air vents on the roof, errm they are meant to be on a old ship not a power cruiser lol.
The general finish to the paintwork was awful, everything was hand painted and had brush marks in it and the hull bottom was full of lumps, bubbles and grit. the whole boat has been sanded with the exception of the deck, i am going to leave it as it is.
the rudder was missing, i found it in two halves inside the boat, i have drilled a larger hole, made a fiberglass mount and installed a new one.The propshaft was handmade and warped and the tube was worn, had no bushes and was generally useless, i have ripped that out and waiting on a new one to arrive in the post. Ive filled many many cracks dents and general imperfections all over the boat made a new fibergass surround for the front screen.
here are pics of the boat in progress-

the roof with its lovely coating of spikes! the corner with the crack fell off and got re molded with filler

after rubbing it down and filling, the odd bit need a final fill still.

The cabin sides after sanding all the varnish off.

windscreen totally gone along with any associated fixings, also the funnels removed and fiberglass behind holes ready for filling

The new fiberglass windscreen surround was very time consuming as it has to be molded in about 10 stages to create the right size and curve, it has a 1mm gap all the way round to seat the front of the screen for support, the screen is going to be a one piece job from side window to side window in 0.8mm clear plastic. you can also see how i have cut the old wooden side screen surround away inline with the rest ready to take the correct screen.

The awfull brushmarks that haunted the whole boat.

Hull bottom before sanding, the white specks are bits of grit or similar that must have got into the paint when it was wet. cant understand why he went to so much effort to build this and then left it with paint like this!

new rudder hole gets a fiberglass surround, the drill bit is just there to mold the right size hole in the resin, the main hole was already drilled.

fiberglass sanded into shape and new rudder fitted.

Well, thats my progress so far.
I have a new propshaft and tube on order and have filler primer waiting to coat this when its ready. the roof is going to be white, the cabin side will be very dark blue or black and the hull is going to be white all over.

I really want this boat to fly like some of the other huntsman models i have seen on here but due to being unable to work and living on benefits i have serious money restrictions so please don't laugh at the following, i have a futaba 27MHz receiver I'm going to fit with a kyosho manual yes  "manual" speed controller! and acoms as-5s servos to controll rudder and speed controller. as for the motor to power the prop, i have a couple of motors but think the best i have is a new rs540sh taken from my sons tamiya as we upgraded his motor when we built his RC car. I have a watercooled O.S 40 nitro boat engine with good compression but I'm nervous about fitting it to this boat as A they make a mess. B they cannot reverse. C they can stall and D i need to get a part for the carb or a new carb before i can use it.
I'm still not decided on RC car packs or gel cells for power.
not having any money to spend on this project is a killer but at least the biggest part is hard work and love for it and the money side is only to make it go.

So, what do you all think? Ive renovated all sorts of tired objects before but never a boat and really looking forward to playing with it.

Thanks for reading, Steve.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: huntsman total refurb
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:54:26 am »

Have a look at red181 s re build of this boat you may get some ideas as far as re painting if the boat has bad pait strip it all off try Fairey power spray works well they are a very nice boat take care with the prop shaft position and angle, it is important the original build plans I feel got it slightley wrong and it should have been less of an angle and the prop and rudder further back.
it builds in to a realy nice boat , I dont know what area you are in but IC can be a problem so find out first.
this is the build
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.msg338759#msg338759

Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:00 am »

Steve,
There is nothing wrong with a resistance type "manual" controller.
This type of model will be going full ahead most of the time so as long as the contacts are kept clean and in good condition there will be negligible power losses.
I still use 1 of these for my trials board and happily run 2 x 540's on it.
As for a prop try a 38mm plastic 2 blade and use 1 of the buggy packs for power.
If you are happy using  battery packs lower than the current max these can be sourced quite cheaply and as you already have a charger shouldn't cost much to get her running reasonably.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:11:07 am »

Hi Steve

Yes Red181's is a beast you should check out. You have the boats in this Bond film then - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-YybZCxJk.

Dave

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:13:00 am »

dave ,thats a Huntress in the film.

Peter

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:19:44 am »

thanks for the comments and advice everyone, will post as i make progress.

Ive had a look at reds boat, wow! what a great lot of love hes put into that and theres money spent on that, lots of money! The detail is incredible and although not beyond my ablilty, well beyond my budget. im going to go for as clean as possible whilst keeping it reasonably simple

The bond film had both huntress and huntsmans in it, bond drives a huntress and is chased by huntsmans

Not too far from you btw shipmate, im sailsbury.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:30:00 am »

I think you will find there where huntress chassing as well, as one was, and may still be up for sale.

Peter

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:36:46 am »

I learnt about the boat being in the film through reading on the fairey owners club.  They say both huntress and huntsman were used in the film, i have seen the clip a couple of times although it wouldent play this time grrr but cant remember from sight what i saw, only what the owners club said.  im sure you lot have come accross it already but heres it is anyway if not   

www.faireyownersclub.co.uk

helped me untold when it came to working out what boat i had and they have many many pics on there that can be used for detail reference even drawings of each model on from a side view.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 01:38:12 am »

from the site

The Huntress and the Huntsman 28's claim to fame were in the James Bond movie 'From Russia with Love'. This involved a total of 5 boats, 2 Huntsman 28's, 1 long cabin Huntress and 2 normal Huntresses. James Bond's boat was a Huntress fitted with a V8 Interceptor

Peter

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:27 am »

ahhh, so i was sort of right and you were also right about being chased by huntress boats also he he

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:25:19 am »

Ha ha, I am so used to being wrong I just never question it  O0 {-) {-)

Dave

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 02:47:07 am »

no dave you were right not wrong, there are huntsmans in the film!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 03:01:56 am »

Hi Steve

I picked this up a fortnight ago for £30 - needs lots of work but I thought the price was ok for a Precedent Huntsman c1972 and I need some practise anyway.

Dave

gwa84

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 03:06:55 am »

i could do you a swap for the os 40 engine i have a nice groupner speed 700 terbo and 50 amp speed controler that would realy make her move well  also got a nearly new  8.4 cell batery pack i could throw in aswell

with that set up you shouldent be short of pawer  :-))

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »

NORSEMAN, thats not a bad base to be working with, great find for £30 as in that condition it would fetch in excess of £100 on ebay

GWA, thanks for the offer im def interested but cant help thinking i would be getting more than i would be giving, i made a mistake about the brand of engine it is not O.S it is a O.P.S lump although i do belive that there ment to be good themselves. its got good compression but is pretty old and like i said needs a new bit in the carb (needle housing and needle) or a whole new carb to run. i was going to fit it ro my rc car along with a radiator fan and waterpump at one point but decided not to in the end. I will get some pics of it for you and

gwa84

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »

ive got plenty of sper carbs that should fit it i was affter a .40 engine enyway for a curant progect dont worry about it if you think its not a fer deal as long as you can use the parts ang get the boat running that wouild be cool with me
i know what its like doing this hobby on a next to nothing shoo  string as ime on disbility benafits that realy dont strech so its taken me menny years of collecting and bargen hunting the main way to get the things i need is to trade the things i dont need  :-))

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

OK, like i said to GWA, i was mistaken about the brand of engine i have, its is not a O.S but a O.P.S lump. its not been used for at least 15 years as that is when i acquired it and all i have done since is fire it up brief few seconds then its been knocking about since. when i moved home the needle valve and the shaft it sat in got broken, not the end of the world but a pain. I think it would probably be easier to get a new carb for it than trying to find the right parts for the carb. the o ring seal between the carb and inlet manifold leaked but thats just a old seal gone bad and Penny's to put right. If you look at the side that reads O.P.S and look at where the the crank cover meets the crank casing you can see the bottom bolt area has had a repair done (was like this when i got the lump), this appears to be heat and fuel resistant so as it is airtight, and the bolt is gripping metal behind it and its also not a load bearing area, i cannot see it being a problem. the other Thing i have noticed is the head bolts do not seem to be the right ones although they are the correct thread. these could probably do with being replaced with some Allen bolts with washers, again A minor little thing to do. The important things are ok, its got compression, the crankshaft bearings have no play and run smoothly.

Here are some pics of the engine, funny how cameras make things look worse, its looks nowhere near as dirty to the eye but nothing a good clean cant sort.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »

As for a prop try a 38mm plastic 2 blade

Shipmate / Bob, you said try a 2 blade 38mm plastic prop.
check this out lol, its what was on the boat originally!
I remember as i child the prop slowed massively, almost to a chug when it hit the water. it had a huge amount of pull but no speed to it although the motor is from the 60's or 70's and should be in a museum so its allowed to be weak to some degree.

would this be measured as 60mm?!!!! In any case a think a 3 blade brass prop of that size is going to be pretty hard work to turn and the weight of it is going to act like a flywheel slowing acceleration and and the same lag when you come off the throttle.

MikeA

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 05:00:52 pm »

ive just been reading through. im out of work myself so i know what its like to build with no money, can be done though!

the propeller is 50mm. you start to measure from zero not one. In the case of the picture put the side of the prop against the ten and you will find it says 15 on the other side.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »

ive just been reading through. im out of work myself so i know what its like to build with no money, can be done though!

the propeller is 50mm. you start to measure from zero not one. In the case of the picture put the side of the prop against the ten and you will find it says 15 on the other side.

lol, what a stupid mistake to make, i cant believe i did that, my excuse is im on nicoteen patches and there just not cutting it so my brain is in another place ha ha.
in any case the prop is far to big is it not?

MikeA

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »

yeah i thought it was odd  {-) from the work youve done so far i was suprised to see you werent able to operate a ruler %%

I would say yes the prop is too big for a 540 motor. i got a 540 motor and it runs hot on a 35mm prop with a 7.2nimh. So i dare say it will smoke on that big brass one. If gwa is still offering you that 700 with the 50 amp esc your on a winner.

I just want to point out that mechanical speed controllers do not shut down if there is a signal loss. So heaven forbid you drop your transmitter and the batts pop out, Your servos will not return to centre and the boat will go full tilt into the nearest hard place.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »

I just want to point out that mechanical speed controllers do not shut down if there is a signal loss. So heaven forbid you drop your transmitter and the batts pop out, Your servos will not return to centre and the boat will go full tilt into the nearest hard place.

Lol, ive had that happen with my nitro RC car, it does not do anything but continue on its way.
Ive been on full throttle a couple of times and gone out of range, biggest roll ive ever seen he he.

MikeA

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:57 pm »

lol well with a car you can just walk over and pick it up. a boat its a bit more difficult  :D

what diameter prop shaft have you ordered?

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:01 pm »

4mm inner with 8mm outer

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »

Steve,
If you are running a 540 you need revs not torque (power).
I am running a PT 15 (just under 3 foot long) on a single 540 on 8.4 volts with a 38mm 2 blade prop and she gets the first 2/3 out of the water on the plane.
She is built quite light though, but a bit too quick for the hull as on turns she "falls over" and the shoulder digs in quite a bit.
But on your hull and being a bit heavier it should give good performance.
These 540 motors can pull an awful lot of amps if loaded up with too big a prop.
As a rough guide the stall current can be as high as in the 90 amps region!!
The 600 motors are fairly similar.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 22 queries.