Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: huntsman total refurb  (Read 42240 times)

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
Re: huntsman total refurb
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »

Steve,
If you are running a 540 you need revs not torque (power).
I am running a PT 15 (just under 3 foot long) on a single 540 on 8.4 volts with a 38mm 2 blade prop and she gets the first 2/3 out of the water on the plane.
She is built quite light though, but a bit too quick for the hull as on turns she "falls over" and the shoulder digs in quite a bit.
But on your hull and being a bit heavier it should give good performance.
These 540 motors can pull an awful lot of amps if loaded up with too big a prop.
As a rough guide the stall current can be as high as in the 90 amps region!!
The 600 motors are fairly similar.

Bob

when you say it falls over to you mean that centrifugal forces cause the body to start to lean right when your turning left?

gwa84

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:28 am »

if your up for the swop that motors fine for what i need it for send us a pm with your adress if its a yes   :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:00 am »

Steve,
What happens is the boat is balanced on the prop and only a tiny part of the hull which can't support it in a turn so it effectively "falls over" and the front end connects with the water.
My next one will have 2 shafts which should correct this as on a single shaft the rear hull is supporting the weight of the boat which is fine in a straight line but when turning the forces change and the small rear hull cant support the weight of the boat in the turn.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:02 am »

ahhh, i see.
does it also create understeer when that happens?

triumphjon

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 08:39:03 am »

i can vouch for the fact that these models handle much better on twin shafts and motors , as they dont " fall over " when trying to turn , both my huntsman 31 and current spear project have got short shafts with the motors fitted in the correct postion below the side air intakes which work very well , the 31 is currently running a pair of mmd 777 and will soon be on 11.1 volt lipo battery packs , while the spear is on a brushless set up but still under construction . jon

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 08:53:05 am »

Steve,
If you are running a 540 you need revs not torque (power).
I am running a PT 15 (just under 3 foot long) on a single 540 on 8.4 volts with a 38mm 2 blade prop and she gets the first 2/3 out of the water on the plane.
She is built quite light though, but a bit too quick for the hull as on turns she "falls over" and the shoulder digs in quite a bit.
But on your hull and being a bit heavier it should give good performance.
These 540 motors can pull an awful lot of amps if loaded up with too big a prop.
As a rough guide the stall current can be as high as in the 90 amps region!!
The 600 motors are fairly similar.

Bob

what weight is your boat Bob ?

MikeA

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

seeing as gwa is willing to swap then you might aswell do so. Id recomend using this prop to its m4 screw thread. trusting your current propshaft has that right??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-BOAT-PROPELLER-2-Blade-X-40mm-M4-Thread-/190587554943?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c5fe74c7f

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:09 am »

seeing as gwa is willing to swap then you might aswell do so. Id recomend using this prop to its m4 screw thread. trusting your current propshaft has that right??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-BOAT-PROPELLER-2-Blade-X-40mm-M4-Thread-/190587554943?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c5fe74c7f

what on a 700bb ? it will run for a short time and get very hot ,ther s540sh need very small props as bob says about 35mm.  Have you run one of these on a  700bb motor ? we ended up having to gear one to get any run time and to get any speed had to use  21 volts. the Veron Huntsman is very Heavey , when built they had ic's in and weight was not a problem.

bat44

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 10:01:40 am »

i run my swordsman with a 700 on 12v nimhs through mtronicks speed controller plus water cooling pushing a 42mm prop with a run time of about 10 to 15 mins no problems

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:24 am »

Your Swordsman is 33" long the huntsman is 42"  11" different also they are very heavy so have to have a lot more volts to make them move so a 40 mm prop makes them hot, a 700 on 12v in a 42" huntsman is only a fast walking pace look through you tube and on hear even with the light weight precedent boats.

Peter

MikeA

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 11:00:34 am »

well i reckoned a 700bb turbo and 50 amp esc is better than a 540 on a mechanical speed controller. what would you recommend then?

35mm prop?

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »

bat44, i love your fordspeed huntsman. have you seen the  909 fordspeed by Ramon? http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14357.100
Almost identical to yours, Ive toyed with paining the deck on mine many times because of this boat! really like the colour scheme and graphics these boats had but i also have a love of fords so that swings it a little lol.
In the end Ive decided to keep the deck as it is and going to paint the boat in the colours of "Jane of Portsmouth"  heres a pic of it-

what sort of speed are you getting out of your 700 motor and what sort of drive and prop do you use?? I'm going to go with it anyway as i have no money and its my best option right now till i can flog something for brushless.
Is your boat scratch built by you or one of the older ones like min that are meant to be heavier? I haven't put it on scales but my boat without motor or battery is surprisingly light in my opinion so i may be in luck.

gwa84

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »

hi the motor is a speed 700 turbo 9.6v  the only other number on is best-nr. 3308   the speed controler is an mtroniks supermarine sonik 3 50amp utp 12 volt
and the batery is jp energ pro
ive put a male xt60 conector and a couple of 6mm shrink wrap in so you can change the batery conectors to mach the esc thers also a water cooling coil and mount on the motor  :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »

Hey Steve

Ramon never finished that boat, he hasn't touched it in ages. He tells me he has been making model deisel engines for a while now. Pity, but maybe he will dig it out and finish it one day?

Dave

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:38 pm »

hi the motor is a speed 700 turbo 9.6v  the only other number on is best-nr. 3308   the speed controler is an mtroniks supermarine sonik 3 50amp utp 12 volt
and the batery is jp energ pro
ive put a male xt60 conector and a couple of 6mm shrink wrap in so you can change the batery conectors to mach the esc thers also a water cooling coil and mount on the motor  :-))

Hi james, thanks for that, will post engine tomorrow royal mail recorded.

bat44

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:16 pm »

hi Steve my swordsman was obtained when a fellow boater past away and the club was given some of his models.the boat was in a bad way much the same as yours, with years off old paint and some rotton wood plus castermite over the deck and a prop shaft that was stuck fast. I am using the speed 700 turbo 9.6 motor direct drive water cooled,through a 25amp Mtroniks speed controller pushing a 42mm 2 blade racing prop.Power is from a single 12v 3900 nimh pack, this gives me a realistic turn of speed for about 10-15 mins.The ford decals were fond on the good old interweb then printed of onto paper then stuck on the boat using double sided tape then varnished over to make them water prove. Yes i have seen and read Ramon's posts on his boat. Being unemployed as will its not easy doing any type of boat so just take your time, what i will say is re angle your prop shaft to a lesser angle this will help with the power consumption    

MikeA

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »

so why was my recommendation of a 700bb turbo, 8.4 bat and 40mm 2 blade prop wrong?

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »

so why was my recommendation of a 700bb turbo, 8.4 bat and 40mm 2 blade prop wrong?

i think people recon that prop is too big, personally i have no idea myself.
how ever it performs with that motor esc and batt, its going to be better than a stock tamiya car motor mechanical speed controller and 7.2 nicad!

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

BAT44,

Ive got the shaft 25mm from the hull at the tip and i suppose the angle is a little bit steep and it could do with being further back from the rudder but I'm not sure how easy it would be to re angle my propshaft, its a wooden hull with no room to play with inside without performing major surgery to the internal structure

current propshaft and motor locations.

structure inside front cabin area

where the prop enters the hull from underneath

As you can see, its gonna be dificult to re arrange in there lol

MikeA

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »

i think people recon that prop is too big, personally i have no idea myself.
how ever it performs with that motor esc and batt, its going to be better than a stock tamiya car motor mechanical speed controller and 7.2 nicad!

i cant see how seeing as i use graupner speed 600 on 8.4 with a 36mm propeller and its fine, in fact it runs stone cold for 20 mins. Does this mean that the speed 600 can run bigger props than the 700?

bat44

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 07:10:29 pm »

hi steve yes not easy but it can be done.i used a long round file from the out side, it toke me an hour all two but i got it done.will post some pics of the in side of my boat, and some of the under side showing where i have my rudder, water intake and prop.the 600 and 700 motors should be able to run 40mm two blade props. Like i said i run a 42mm prop on 12v

MikeA

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:48 pm »

just have to grit your teeth steve. Be brave :-))

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 08:42:36 pm »

just have to grit your teeth steve. Be brave :-))

looking into gritting them now lol

bat44

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:46 pm »

hi Steve here's the pics i said i would post i hope they help you.   

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 08:05:27 pm »

BAT44,

I bored out the shaft hole a bit and moved the angle down a fair few degrees.
It could have been a bit shallower but my propshaft is pretty short so i need a little bit of angle for it to keep its head above the water.
Ive also increased the distance between the prop and the rudder, there was only about 1mm Clarence before and nowhere to put a cooling pickup plus the plans and most of the huntsman models Ive seen have this sort of gap or more.

Oo~~~~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.