Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: huntsman total refurb  (Read 42236 times)

MikeA

Re: huntsman total refurb
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »

i dont personally think it was altogeather necessary to change the support but its has turned out well in the end. you will possibly find that your motor wont need upgrading, as long as it does the job then whats the point, if it aint broke dont fix it you know.

i think i understand your reseaoning behind using the car. I think you shoud take the car for a drive to get the engine hot before you use it too warm your garage though.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »

yeah, its heats up really fast so a trip to tescos round the corner for whatever we need will heat it up and use the fuel for a perpose instead of just heating it up for the paint.

i will close all the vents up and pull one of the pipes off the dash and connect it to my long pipe (it stretches longer) as seen in photo above so all the heaters flow goes down the pipe.

MikeA

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »

what photos that then {:-{

it will take ages to warm your hole garage, i dont think it will be necessary to keep warm while applying the paint, youl just have to put a jacket on. But what you could do to save wasting heat, time and petrol is too put the freshly painted boat under a cardboard box and then run the pipe into that. The interior of the box will warm in seconds, put some hot water bottles in and some blankets on the box too, that should keep the heat in.  %% bit of insulation eh

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »

what photos that then {:-{

it will take ages to warm your hole garage, i don't think it will be necessary to keep warm while applying the paint, youl just have to put a jacket on. But what you could do to save wasting heat, time and petrol is too put the freshly painted boat under a cardboard box and then run the pipe into that. The interior of the box will warm in seconds, put some hot water bottles in and some blankets on the box too, that should keep the heat in.  %% bit of insulation eh

It would take less time than you think to heat up the garage, its only got to be 15c + pref 20 or more. its not me thats got to stay out of the cold but the paint job! if you paint in temps too low you get condensation and moisture caught in the paint itself the object being painted has to be above a certain temp as does the paint can and the air surrounding it. if i were to pump air straight into a box containing the boat with fresh paint i would risk large amounts of dust getting to it plus could actually overheat the paint and ruin it that way! its not got to be warm in there, just not cold.

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »

18 degrees is the optimum temp for painting

Dave

triumphjon

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:54 pm »

id have thought a couple of heaters placed near to the hull after spraying would be good enough , it also helps to warm the paint before its applied !

MikeA

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:40 pm »

youl have to keep it warm whilst its drying though too. obviuosly you dont want to kiln the job but then with weather as it is it wont take long before it cold again and running your car on an off for several hours isnt practical either. a box will keep it warm for longer periods of time. I personally actually dry my boats in the airing cupboard!! After a good telling off from swmbo i now take the towels out too.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2011, 11:47:19 pm »

youl have to keep it warm whilst its drying though too. obviuosly you dont want to kiln the job but then with weather as it is it wont take long before it cold again and running your car on an off for several hours isnt practical either. a box will keep it warm for longer periods of time. I personally actually dry my boats in the airing cupboard!! After a good telling off from swmbo i now take the towels out too.

after is not a problem, its only go to be slightly dry and i can move it indoors to the conservatory to finish drying, just cant keep spraying in there.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2011, 12:26:40 am »

well done on the prop support, :-)) the reason its better than that wide angle thing, when running the wide angle could catch on any debris, such as the dreaded weed that many lakes are suffering from now in warmer weather, it would also cause drag, so what you have done is much nicer and asthetically more realistic :-))

As for painting, I have two boats that are currently being refurbished, I am waiting for some warmer weather  to paint them. Why not leave the painting till everything is finished and you have tested the boat, then you wont be damaging the paintwork when doing any modifications etc

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:17 am »

well done on the prop support, :-)) the reason its better than that wide angle thing, when running the wide angle could catch on any debris, such as the dreaded weed that many lakes are suffering from now in warmer weather, it would also cause drag, so what you have done is much nicer and asthetically more realistic :-))

As for painting, I have two boats that are currently being refurbished, I am waiting for some warmer weather  to paint them. Why not leave the painting till everything is finished and you have tested the boat, then you wont be damaging the paintwork when doing any modifications etc

red, in your huntsman refurb post you mention you shouldn't have ignored the cracks in the primer. what happened to yours?
Ive developed about 3 very small patches where the primer has gone mosaic on me! I'm thinking its something to do with the resin underneath that the boat was originally sealed with but not sure. anyway, i have filled the tiny cracks and hope that when the hull gets another coat of primer it will behave itself! propper skint right now so what you said about fitting it out first is probably whats going to happen till i can afford more paint! i have everything i need to make it a running shell now apart from pickup and pipes for the water cooling the pickups are not much but can be made pretty easy too. the esc has channels in it for cooling pipes so i will source some copper pipes for that, probably from a dead fridge or freezer and add some thermal compound to both the esc and the motor pipes where they make contact. where i ordered my bits from they only did 35 or 40mm + props so i went for a 35mm as a startergonna try and get 38mm and 40mm later to test with although 40mm seems a little large from what you said. the specs for that 700  motor state It runs r where others like the 700 bb say R + L, am i going to do damage if i reverse this motor under load? it spins  both ways as Ive had it running on the esc but dint know what the score it with damage. i know other DC motors are wound like that for example some car wiper motors, Ive messed about with these making ridiculously powerfull servos for a large scale RC truck I'm building. with these motors they just run slower the wrong way.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »

posted some information about building heavy duty servos if anyone is interested.

the link is  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34532.0

MikeA

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 07:01:02 pm »

yeah ive read that put it in my favourites. have you got any pics of this truck then  :o

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »

yeah ive read that put it in my favourites. have you got any pics of this truck then  :o

i dont know where ive stored them but im sure i took some.
The truck is a old kids electric ride on truck (Pretty old, before they started oversizing bits and making them look silly and out of proportion)
ive stripped out the original electric running gear, the steering ect and cut the floorpan to take the mini quad chassis ive put in it.
the quad frame was too high up so i had to cut the top, bend a bar further down the frame and weld it back up again as it poked out the top of the cargo area of the shell. Ive not touched it since i moved house but will get back on it some time between now and the summer. i wouldent want to get hit by that rc car when its at full speed lol.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »

Im not  a piant expert, but the crazing could be a number of things, in my case I was using too much paint at one time, and mixing brands. I used halfords filler (its rubbish, no filling qualities >:-o) primer, and the top coats where plasticoat, I learnt to stay with one brand of paint, had to rub it all down and start again, if the primer isnt right, it will affect the top coats so get that sorted before you continue, maybe some grease or something? greasy fingers are enought to affect the paint surface  ok2

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2011, 01:07:34 am »

might of been grease but its doubtfull, Ive done a fair bit of spray painting before on cars and other objects and know about things like that but this mosaic effect on the paint is something new to me, Ive followed procedure to the t!

my only explanation is a reaction from the paint to the resin in places where the resin is deeper than others, Ive noticed one of the spots is where theres a join in the hull construction and there was more resin filling the dip so wonder if that was the cause.

this is the sort of work i turn out when i man the fiberglass, filler and spray can, it was a Mk2 mondeo rear bumper for a cabby mate of mine

before i started, oh dear.... still, have you ever seen a Mk2 mondeo that hasn't got cracked bumpers?

as if by magic, the damage has gone! I repaired a door and sprayed other parts on the car for him and the idiot wrote the car off the same day i returned it to him grrrrrr

triumphjon

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2011, 08:31:28 am »

steve , where the paint has crazed , have you got any primer over the resin surface ?  the crazing is often caused by too much paint , although it could be silicone under the affected area or just two different types of paint reacting with each other ie celly and enamel finishes . however there is a product available that will seal in the old finish and allow you to refinish your paint as normal , it will also seal red to stop it bleeding through to a different colour ! ! product is called  BARCOAT should be available from your local automotive paint factors . hope you manage to sort it soon . jon

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »

steve , where the paint has crazed , have you got any primer over the resin surface ?  the crazing is often caused by too much paint , although it could be silicone under the affected area or just two different types of paint reacting with each other ie celly and enamel finishes . however there is a product available that will seal in the old finish and allow you to refinish your paint as normal , it will also seal red to stop it bleeding through to a different colour ! ! product is called  BARCOAT should be available from your local automotive paint factors . hope you manage to sort it soon . jon

the whole hull is painted in what looks to be household gloss brushed on! Its been sanded untill completely flat, in a lot of places this ment going all the way through the paint and sanding till the resin underneath was flat as the resin was uneven accross the boat , it had "hills " in it as well as a poor paint job lol.

now, there are many many spots where there was exposed resin that i have primed over and had no trouble at all and other spots where its gone bad (only about 3 small patches) this is why i was wondering if if was resin of a greater depth allowing some kind of merging. the areas that have gone funny have had the micro cracks filled and im going to prime over then again but in many thin coats allowing propper drying between

triumphjon

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »

i would apply a coat of barcoat before putting any further coats of paint !

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2011, 12:45:21 am »

i would apply a coat of barcoat before putting any further coats of paint !

how much does it cost? can it be bought in arerosol? and where can it be bought please?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2011, 04:23:09 am »

triumphjon

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

ive not seen it in aerosol form , just 1 litre tins , use it straight from the tin through a spray gun / airbrush , once applied no need to flat the finish just apply new paint ! jon

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »

Ive not seen it in aerosol form , just 1 litre tins , use it straight from the tin through a spray gun / airbrush , once applied no need to flat the finish just apply new paint ! jon

That causes a problem! i do not have or have access to a spray gun or airbrush!

looks like I'm going to have to try my way of light dusting the affected areas allowing them to dry properly between coats until theres enough to give heaver coats.
the extra £20 plus the cost of any thiners it possibly had to be mixed with is another hit to my budget. spray paint alone is costing a small fortune!

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

What you have said allready about the hull having been brushed with houshold paint has confirmed my WORSE fears,sorry you have got THREE choices here.

Coat with Barcoat to stop it reacting again.A different thickness of resin WILL NOT do anything to paint.

The second choice is to overcoat with PLASTIC Coat paint available usually from Halfords or B&Q but sometimes NOT ALLWAYS this can react even though it is an enamel based paint.WARNING if u choose this route then it is not negotiable to use any other make of paint you MUST use this make for the top coat as well.......Main trouble with this Make of paint is the amount of time it takes to go off.

Third chpoice is to strip ALL the paint off the existing hull either ut paint stripper or dammed hard work with rubbing down paper.

One option maybee would to beg and plead with a garage if they would spray your hull with Barcoat....NOTHING else will do.

Where are you from if you midlands based I could help as I am a Fully qualified paint sprayer with over 30years experience and I do Know what I am talking about

Dave 

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »

th really irritating bit is the fact that i have got paint primer covering all 3 different surfaces (resin,old white paint and old blue paint) without any problems yet in random spots theres issues :( .
Ive painted loads of things in the past and never had any problem but then after thinking about it, the surface on everything ive painted has ether been old automotive paint, bare clean plastic or bare metal. ive never tried to spray this sort of thing so never had a reaction before, not amused at all.

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »

It can be localised BUT the fact of the matter is that household paint is enamel and car paint is acrylic an dthe 2 simply dont mix Where are u form

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.