Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: huntsman total refurb  (Read 42249 times)

MikeA

Re: huntsman total refurb
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »

in my oppinion and from what your saying i reckon the 40 is too big and overloading the motor and the 35 is too small.

i would possibly try half way house with the propeller. I Use this for surface use but with smaller motor, albeit brushless and faster but i think your motor will turn this quite well at a slower submerged rate. The pitch is fairly aggressive to get the speed but the diameter not so small to lose grip. im afraid it isnt free though:

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=25_50_59&products_id=356

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:10 am »

is it a 9.6v turbo, whats the part number on the case?

ta

Hi mate, the mumber is  "3308" it is a 9.6v model.

cheers, steve.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2012, 03:08:02 am »

See you are still up then Steve - me too.
Are you going to get the water cooling working before you run again?
It isn't the real answer but it will help while you get the set up to what
you want it to be.

I'm just trying to sort planking shapes for around the boats edges but
having some trouble (my little loss of finger sensation doesn't help either)
Refurbing an old boat is more trouble than I ever thought it would be - do
you think that? Relaxing though. Coffee time now........

Dave

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:41 pm »

yeah, refurbing is a lot more work than i thought it would be before i started!
I'm def going to fit it but i dont know if i will have the water cooling running before i chuck it back at the water again, i wouldn't mind giving it a run with just the fan on it just to see what difference it makes. i installed pipes in the rails on the rear of the esc for water cooling but the esc does not even get warm so i think i might leave it out of the system as the less length i have in the tiny pipes the less resistance there will be and better flow round the motor as a result. I'm also going to use thermal compound between thecooling coil and the motor, i think i mentioned it in a previous post and also had it suggested to me by Jan. Thermal compound is second nature to me being someone who builds his own PC's and is a online gamer, cooling is very important to the CPU! even my ram sticks have heatsinks on them and there own fan cooling them lol.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:09 am »

Hi Steve, you are really entering the "test and more test" stage now, I have been there many times! I am certainly no expert, but can possibly offer some advice as to what to do. I tried various graupner motors in my 3 foot fireboat, which I know is a completly different boat, and my Huntsman, prior to going to brushless. Unfortunately I have no specific data for the Huntsman, and no video evidence, but used a graupner 700 BB turbo 12v, direct drive, 50mm "x" prop, and ran it right at the top end of the voltage range, 19.2v. Without a cooling coil, the esc kept shutting down, which was a water cooled ripmax seasprint, with cooling coil, things got quite hot, but as the motors are relatively cheap, I thought if I had to change the motor ebvery 12 mo nths or so, then that would be ok. It was a very inefficient set up, but gave pleasing speed for 15 mins flat out.

I am sure that would horrify some peeps, not being able to chug around all afternoon, but thats what I wanted :} speed, and more speed, thats why I eventually went over to brushless.

Back to the fireboat, this has video evidence, something that should help you determine what to do. I tried the same setup as above, and also the 8.4 and 9.6v motors. These had very little difference in performance, and I again massively over volted them, I found through testing, to gain some "over scale" speed, you really have to push the volts up on these motors, whilst your motor is 9.6v, the nominal voltage range is up to 14.4v, and you really have to be up there to get any serious performance out of it. THis "on the edge" setup then cascades to the rest of the equipment. You will be pushing big amp draw now, and the esc needs to cope. If it has cooling pipes, use them!!. usually they are ther because the coolling plate is none existant, or inadequate, particularly with the cheap chinese versions. Similar esc's that are used on rc helicopters do not rely on cooling by water (obviously!) as there is a massive airflow over them, our boat escs do not have that luxury.

motor spec:
 Nominal voltage 9,6 V
Operating voltage range 4,8 ... 14,4 V
No-load rpm 15000 min 1
No-load current drain 2 A
Current drain at max. efficiency 12,5 A
Current drain when stalled 65 A
Max. efficiency without gearbox 75 %
Length of case, excl. shaft 67 mm
Diameter 42,2 mm
Free shaft length 14 mm
Shaft diameter 5 mm
Weight 320 g

regarding props, they are cheap, getr a couple, make sure they are "x" props, not "s" as they will drive better, I tested over 12!! and was very lucky to be able to borrow a serious collection, plus my own few, and others I had on some other boats. My hunts now has a propshop one, quite expensive, but I tested for almost 2 years to arrive at this, (have you read my build log, loads of info there?) Start small, I would recommend 45mm, and work up in stages. Water cooling is a must, and having a small restriction such as the esc is no problem, hope that helps!

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/pmdevlin/?action=view&current=newshamfulltimemotortests.mp4

poor video quality, but you get the idea,  :-))

Yamaha1

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »

Hi - hope you don't mind if I jump onto this thread for some advice from you Huntsman users.

I have just received the Precedent Huntsman 31, 34" wood hull kit - as i fancied something wooden to
get my teeth into. I was rather surprised that a plan doesn't seem to in the kit - although I haven't yet
undone the wood packs, for fear of loosing any bits before I start building!!

I am assuming the standard setup would be a single motor/prop drive - but several of you have said a twin
setup is a lot better bet for the Huntsman? I haven't done any modelling for years, so to be able to build
a model without a plan seems strange to me!!

Anybody else built this Precedent kit? As I said, not having unpacked it yet, I really don't know if they
recommend a single or twin drive. It will be electric - but what motors to use has yet to be decided.

Any tips would be most gratefully received.

Mike

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »

Hi - hope you don't mind if I jump onto this thread for some advice from you Huntsman users.

I have just received the Precedent Huntsman 31, 34" wood hull kit - as i fancied something wooden to
get my teeth into. I was rather surprised that a plan doesn't seem to in the kit - although I haven't yet
undone the wood packs, for fear of loosing any bits before I start building!!

I am assuming the standard setup would be a single motor/prop drive - but several of you have said a twin
setup is a lot better bet for the Huntsman? I haven't done any modelling for years, so to be able to build
a model without a plan seems strange to me!!

Anybody else built this Precedent kit? As I said, not having unpacked it yet, I really don't know if they
recommend a single or twin drive. It will be electric - but what motors to use has yet to be decided.,

Any tips would be most gratefully received.

Mike
as far as I know you should get a plan, I got one with a boat I bought not got it now though , if there is no plan get on to them
one of the main things is that the shaft is to far forward on the plans if you are going down the electric route (my opinion) so as it's a timber boat you can position it where you want . have a look at red181's huntsman 28 build /refurbish and he gives an idea where to put it. they go very well with a brushless motor in if you keep it light twin shafts would be nice there has just been a build of one on hear with twin shafts its a nice boat  the only problem is it means two of everything but at the price of brushless set ups these days it wont be to bad.
Peter

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:35 pm »

any news on this build, hopefully not another unfinished Huntsman project that bites the dust :((

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »

Ok, so this was my topic but for some reason my account was deleted and I've had to create a new one.

So, now to explaining why I suddenly stopped posting about this project -

When I last posted was literally a week before I found out that my family (wife and 4 kids) were going to be made homeless,  suddenly everything was chaos and the boat had to be put on hold. My landlords wife had cancer and he sold the house amd gave us notice to pay for private hospital care, I can't hold that against him,  I would have done the same.

But life became very stressful for my wife and I, we ended up in a temporary emergency council house that was tiny,  it was a small 3 bed with no out buildings or garage and we had to fit 6 of us and the contents of a 4 bed with a conservatory full of kids toys and a garage full of all sorts into this tiny temporary home that we ended up being in for 6 months!

You literally couldn't move, we had moving boxes stacked 3 high everywhere with little passages between them to squeeze sideways through, it was ridiculous.

My wife and I started to argue and our marrage fell apart just before we were due to move into permanent accommodation.

She said I could store all my things in the  loft and shed of her new home until I had permanent accommodation for myself so I accepted but 4 months down the line she shacked up with some new bloke and totally cut me out, she has refused to talk to me at all since.

I went to the police about getting my things back but she lied and said she had never had them and the useless police said that they could do no more and left me screwed.

So as well as all my other items, she stole this boat from me and I no longer have it and it's unclear if I'll ever get it back.

Lifr sucks sometimes but it is what it is and she has shown herself for who she really is.

So now, nearly 2 years after we split I'm still trying to recover,  I loved that woman unconditionally and still do deep down so Ive now got myself back into hobbies to distract myself.

I'm into all manner of flying things,  I've several helicopters ranging from toy to hobby grade and 2 planes, these are running apm GPS guided flight controllers with arduplane firmware loaded, live video feed and telemetry overlay on the video feed. one of my planes has a wingspan of just over 6 feet!!!

But recently I've been working on a new boat but this is a totally different beast to the huntsman,  this is going to be fast electric,  it's a bare hull build and once my carbon fibre matting arrives I'm gonna be able to start the final fitting of everything,  it should shift pretty well, it's a 65cm hull and Im putting a 36mm 3400kv 1300w brushless motor in it and running it on 4s!!!

So there you have it, what happened to this threads project amd what I'm working on right now.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2017, 12:44:48 pm »

Well I can now confirm that this boat will not be comming back, my wife took it to the dump along with absolutely everything else I owned, I mean everything, I had my car and the clothes I was wearing, she has literally chucked every possession I had apart from my brand new mig welder, she sold that!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.