Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the Fairmount Alpine tug  (Read 36445 times)

awvs

Building the Fairmount Alpine tug
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:20 pm »

Hi,
at first I wanted to build the Yorkshireman by MS. After ordering the kit at Great Hobbies here in Canada I was informed that they couldn't get it anymore.  <*< >>:-( To make a long story short, I decided to build the Billings Fairmount Alpine. Let me say that I was very surprised by the quality of the kit.  :-) The laser cut wooden parts are top notch and everything fits perfect. All fittings are included and  of good quality. The instruction manual shows detailed drawings but no additional write up. I will replace the wooden rudders and the plastic props with brass parts.  O0 The tug will be fitted with 2 Graupner  720 BB motors with 2 ESC’s including a mixer and a bow thruster.  In the planning are all the necessary lights, rotating radar and a sound module.  I attached a few pictures of the current stage of the project.

Regards
Wilhelm 

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the Fairmount Alpine tug
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »

That looks a precision kit. You've made a nice job of it.  Look forward to seeing your progress. Keep us posted.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

hama

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »

Oh yes!!! I will follow this with great interest, looking forward to see your high standard on this build.
All the best.
Hama

awvs

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:11:29 pm »

Thanks Ken & Hama for your encouraging comments.

Christmas is right at the door step and this means there are a lot of other things to do. As soon as I have done more on the Fairmount I will post some pictures.
 :-))
Kind Regards
Wilhelm

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »

Hi Wilhelm

Was there any burnt material to remove on the cut edges? I have always wondered about that on laser cut stuff.

Dave

awvs

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:57 pm »

Hi Dave,
the cut surfaces are somewhat darker (see pictures) but no burnt edges (the edges are sharp with 90 degrees angles and not rounded). The overall quality of the kit is excellent. I would have preferred a fiberglas hull, but with patients and some elbow grease it should work out fine.

Regards
Wilhelm

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:11 am »

Hi Wilhelm, it must be a Canadian thing, I too have purchased The Fairmount Alpine. I am installing Graupner 720BB motors too, all the electronics are ACTion, if you go to their web site you will find the Wiring Diagram Dave so kindly did for me, it may be a help to you. There is another build on a Dutch site & he has also fitted the rear bow thruster talk about a tight squeeze, I will too. I have got 55MM props from The Prop Shop & prop shafts from MMB. I will be using an F14 Futaba radio which I will convert to 2.4gh. I need it to run all the electrics I am fitting as you will see from the wiring diagram. There are some great photos on the net if you Google Fairmount Summit. If you can't find them let me know, they would be a great help to you I think, particularly the interior of the bridge & the winches. I am building the Smit Nederland at present so I have not started the Alpine yet. I agree it is a very well made kit with Quality components but the instructions are non existant. I think from what I have read on here that is a knock on Billings kits.  I thought for the price they could have included proper props, the ones in the kit are at best for a toy boat & I mean toy. If you like we can stay in touch & compare notes along the way. I wish you luck with the build & I sure will be watching. Mick B. Calgary AB.
Mick B.

awvs

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »

Hi Mick,
thanks for your input. I am using M-troniks ESC's and a self made mixer.   :-))  My radio is a 2.4Ghz Spektrum Dx7se which I am using for all my models (20 model memory). Funny, my research of the Fairmount came up with the same websites you mentioned.  :} You are correct, the instructions are non existent but the drawings are very good and with a little imagination self explanatory. On the other hand, did you ever read instructions from Calder Craft?
Good luck with your Smit Nederland and a great start building your Fairmount. Staying in contact is a good idea (pm).

Kind Regards
Wilhelm

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:32:01 am »

Hi Wilhelm, I forgot to ask you in my PM if you had looked at Dave's wiring diagrams that he so kindly did for me ?. Mick B.
Mick B.

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »

Hey Guys, I'm in Toronto and I would like to know where you purchased your Billing Alpine kit? Not avaiulable here in Canada as far as I can see. Cheers.

Bill.

awvs

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »

Hi Bill,
you got a pm.
Regards
Wilhelm

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

Hi dash8, I sent you a PM too. Mick b.
Mick B.

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys! Looking forward to your building reports on this one. Enjoy the Holidays.

Bill.   :-))

awvs

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 01:11:15 am »

Hi,
here are a few pictures on the progress of my Fairmount Alpine.  :-) There is more filling and sanding to do on the outside of the hull and sealing the inside with epoxy. For the outside I decided against epoxy, instead I will use a sealer, two coats of primer, paint and than three coats of varnish (by minwax) which should be adequate. I can't do all the painting in the house so it has to wait until it gets warmer but the tug will keep me be busy with the superstructure and so on.

Kind Regards
Wilhelm

oldflyer2

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

Well Done so far! I too am in Canada and would like to know where you got this kit. I like the style very much.

Cheers

Tom

awvs

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »

Hi Tom,
you got a pm.

Regards
Wilhelm

oldflyer2

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:45:45 am »

Thanks Wilhelm

Cheers,

Tom

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:04 am »

For the outside I decided against epoxy, instead I will use a sealer, two coats of primer, paint and than three coats of varnish (by minwax)

Hi Wilhelm

I just wondered if you had a specific reason for deciding against epoxy? I'm just curious and learning here, no other reason for asking.

Dave

awvs

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »

Hi Dave,
this is my first big wooden hull and I am just scared to mess it up.  {:-{ I don't have any experience handling the epoxy so I better stick to the stuff I know. As I said I will try it on the inside of the hull.

Regards
Wilhelm

awvs

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

Hi,
I did epoxy the inside of the hull and it turned out pretty good. There is also some progress on the superstructure, the wheelhouse and the drivetrain. In the pictures you will noticed that I replaced a few wooden parts with styrene.

Regards
Wilhelm

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »

You are really moving along with your build Wilhelm. I am afraid I have not even opened the box since I checked contents of my Fairmount. I have all the electrics, props, radio, etc., but I think I would like to build a lifeboat first & am looking at the Tamer kit from Speedline. I am also mucking about with trying to design & build a proper C/V joint for drives on our propshafts, it has not been very successful up to now, but I am not giving up yet. I will be following your build all the way, it is very nice work that you have done just like your other models. Thank you for sharing. Mick B.
Mick B.

awvs

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »

Hi Mick
you are welcome. For now I have to slow down working on the hull and the superstructure because the next step is painting and it is still way to cold. So, I am concentrating on the small items like the cranes, ladders, winches, additional decals and so on. Of course this would be a lot easier without all the sticky glue on my fingers. I will also construct a couple of electronic switches and a mixer.

Good luck with your c/v joint and your build.

Kind Regards
Wilhelm

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »

Up to your usual high standard Wilhelm, the work to the bridge is exceptional.

Noticed you've been on Skype lately, will give you a call next time I see you on there. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

awvs

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:55 pm »

Thanks Richard,
looking forward chating with you again.

Best
Wilhelm

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:35 am »

Another masterpiece I feel Wilhelm, very much looking forward to more.

Regards, Tony.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.