Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 322708 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:55 am »

thanks for those very kind words Tony ( i'll ignore the one about my wonderfully tidy workshop  {-) {-) {-))......it's just that for the past 6 - 7 years I have been building basically for other people and I haven't got a boat in the house (except the Flying christine ambulance boat that I built for my daughters) that I can call my own or sail............and these three are MINE........ and that's why I am enjoying building them so much....mine to play with, mine to sell for me if I desire, and mine to look at and think......at last I've built something that won't go to pay off bills or the mortgage or silly things like that.........it's not a driving force to get them done for anyone but me.........it may be selfish of me, but after years of building for others, I feel just that bit selfish, but am revelling in it, and totally enjoy the build...........and time just flows by when I'm in that scruffy old workshop..............but the big day of reckoning will come when finished.......

hve been ordered to tidy up............. %% %% %% %%

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2012, 08:20:14 am »

Silly question...

Is there a specific reason you did the ruffle holes at this stage? I would have though it easier before the deck went on, so you can get the resin to the inside of the keel with no obstructions.

Cheers

Lance

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2012, 09:19:10 am »

no Lance......just forgot earlier on, lol..........it's only when I have bits left over that I begin to think..........woooooppppssssss!!! %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:14 pm »

Life's been a bit busy this week with one thing or another and have got little building done on my lifeboats....but what I have doen is ( with the help of my lovely wife) finished and moulded the fenders for my boats.

The Mary Stanford required just the one fender at the bow, because she has a rudder steering box at the stern, but the two Watsons, because of their rudders built into the deadwood of the stern keel, have exposed stern posts and as such have rear fenders to guard from accidental damage to the stern.

The majority of knitted/crochet'd fenders that I have seen for sail, (and this is in the eyes of my wife  who is a professional knitter) have used pins(knitting needles) thaty are too large in diameter and use cord that is too thick to give a scale apperance.

When I built the Anne Lettitia Russel those many years ago my wife actually experimented for a few days with different size needles and different cords and thicknesses until with the help of photo's of the real fenders, we came to the conclusion that she would knit the fender covers in "reverse stocking stitch" using 2mm "pins" and a guage of thread that gave a cordage of approximately 0.8 - 1.0 mm diameter, and this gave the best results for a scale looking fender.
Any smaller pins and the thread wouldn't be possible to knit, and any thinner thread,, and the desired effect of the nobbled surface just wouldn't show.
So we stuck to it and have knitted the fenders to that pattern ever since, and were always knitted around a blank made from polyester resin.
However, and sadly that polyester is brittle and on one or two occassions on customer's boats, this has snapped when the boat hit the bank leaving the fender mis shaped.
So this time I was determined to improve on that, and decided to make the moulds (blanks) for the fenders from polyurethane resin that doesn't split or crack.

My first task was to mount the fender brackets on the two Watsons (as I had done it earlier to the Barnett) and then mould the bow and stern fenders for ONE Watson only, as both Watsons would use the same blank, being built on the same hull

I made the blanks from Milliput placing them in position on the boat set into the brackets, and when cured and hardened I  then sanded them down to a nice even surface.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: April 20, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »

I would now have put these blanks into a mould for re producing them in numbers for kits but had then come up with the notion that as my wife was busy with some jumpers for the family it would be unfair of her to knit more than was needed, so I decided to curtail the moulding of the blanks until the fender covers had been knitted and put onto the blanks, and then I could mould them as one, thus eleviating the need for wives and sweethearts to have to knit them for their men folk.
So the next stage was to make a pattern for each blank out of card so that my wife could knit the cover to thast size. And this is what I and she did.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:40 pm »

The next stage was for my good lady to stitch the fender covers onto the blanks.........and this my wife did, using thinner guage thread.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »

And now came the detailing with other cordage....the lateral binding was put around all three fenders, and then the longitudinal binding was (as far as could be seen on the plans and some shots of the Watsons and Barnetts from books), put onto the  Barnett only  as of the period I was building each boat as preference.

Once these bindings had been added I added a little cyano at joints, tie offs etc to settle the cord.

Then I virtually soaked the fenderd with sanding sealer to harden the fenders up and to fill the under structure so that when moulding, ther rubber wouldn't seep deep into the knitting.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:15 pm »

Next was tofill the open weave of the knitting with a rerlease agent wax that I usially use for mould seperation in GRPO moulding, and that can be seen in the last of the previous set of photos.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »

Now the fenders were ready for setting into moulds, and for this I used my usual plastecine and lego blocks for making a box before moulding them in two halves.

whilst I was doing the mould I found I had a little space to spare so filled it with the two hand pumps and the aft mast bracket.......no space wasted.........rubber's too expensive, lol

ooops, that one shows the set of binoculars..........I hadn't put the mast bracket in yet,

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »

After making the rubber moulds, it was time to cast a few in polyurethane resin............they came out far better and just as detailed as I had hoped, and will save a few hours of frustration and knitting for the unhappy wives, lol.

When it comes to fitting to the boats, they will just need a little trimming n the inside of the "V" to fit snuggly against the hull and then drilled for eye rings to tie to the brackets placed above and below the belting of the hulls of the boats, and painted in a humbrol mat tan paint before fitting to the boat............I thought that this would simplify the build somewhat.
And the choice is always there for the hardened enthusiast to still sand the fenders smooth and add their own knitted fenders should they so wish to.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: April 21, 2012, 05:28:19 pm »

Been painting the well decks and cabins today with "lifeboatgrey" as I call it...........Humbrol 127..a satin light grey which I have used on my lifeboats since Anne Letitia Russell days...........needs a rub down and a second coat but will leave a couple of days before doing so.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #461 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:49 pm »

Believe me folks, they look even better in real life! Having had the pleasure of seeing all three this morning, I am even more impressed than I have been reading about the builds! Thanks Neil, for the coffee and the excellent alteration job you did for me. I enjoyed the fish and chips at Yorkshire Fisheries again also!
Mick

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #462 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »

good on yer mate.have a safe trip back to Devon....................... oooopppsss!!!! {-) {-) {-)............. Cornwall tomorrow :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:29 pm »

Been brush painting the well decks and engine casings recently with Humbrol enamel and my nice new sable hair brushes......getting a reasonable finish, but running out of enamel rapidly.........so today decided to tidy up the lower edge of the engine casing of the Mary Stanford with a rivet strip.........did this in 120 gram paper and an artists paint stopper which blobs out rivet sized paint blobs in rapid succession.........this gets rid of the ragged moulded edge of the casing and cleans it all up nicely.
Next bit is to fit the rudder assembly onto the Mary Stanford.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #464 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »

So, down to the making of the rudder and assembly for the Mary Stanford.....

Unlike the other two boats that have their rudders set into the deadwood of the Keel, this boat had the rudder hung onto a square section rudder bar which runs through a series of brackets on the stern of the boat, including a hefty bracket at the top, a "shoe" at the bottom and a mid spaced bracket to set the rudder at it's required possition on the rudder bar..
These brackets would be made from cast iron/steel on the real boats, and/or even bronze, but on the model the fittings are all made from cast white metal.
There are also two brackets attached to the rudder which have square shaped holes cast into them on a fore/aft axis so that two points/corners of the square run longitudinally with the boat, and the rudder bar is therefore set at this same "diamond" position......and as such the brackets on the rudder have no chance of slipping around the rudder bar because of the square shape!....quite a simple idea by the builders of these old boats, and also easy to replicate needing no screws, bolts or pins to hold the rudder from slipping.

I made the rudder as a seperate entity, and fitted the two white metal cast brackets and the strengtheners in 1.8mm ply and glued in place using epoxy for the w/m fittings and aliphatic resin for timber to timber. However before fitting the brakets I made sure that the square section bar slipped through the bracket holes freely and when O glued up I ran the bar through both brackets to make sure that they were glued in line and the bar freely able to move.

I started by fitting the top bracket ( the bottom shoe had already been fitted when doing the hull some months ago.
It was glued in place using epoxy and two steel pins to hold and secure it in place.

I then silver soldered a length of 5mm threded rod into one end of the square section bar, to take a top locking nut.
I next threaded a nut upto the joint between bar and threaded rod and locked in place using cyano.
I glued the slider bar which takes the pin from the servo to operate the rudder into place upto the top locking nut, using epoxy and then drilled through that asembly and inserted a 2mm nut and bolt to hold it all in place.Under this would be fitted a brass washer to aid movement and reduce friction.
I modified the bracket that is used on the Rother class lifeboat kit, and using a pin to hold it......fixed it to the stern post just below where to top bracket of the rudder will sit when the rudder is in it's correct position.
Next was to insert a brass rod up into the bottom of the square section rudder bar and secure it wit lots of cyano.
Now, ther is still no way to stop the whole rudder bar from lifting out of the shoe and flapping in the wind, so to make a tighter fit and impossible to lift upwards and out, I put two small diameter washers onto the bottom pin just before the square bare /round bar joint, and immediately under the top bracket I placed two brass washers onto the square rudder bar, and drilled imediately under them with a 1.0mm drill bit and inserted a split pin made from brass, wrapped it around the bar immediately under the washers, and this locked the whole assembly in place with a maximum of around 2mm up and down movement........Once it has all been painted the moving parts, metal to metal will be greased as a precaution.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #465 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:19 am »

Thats looking familiar Neil! I am waiting for the next instalment to show me what to do to mine,so keep posting  please,my friend ?!
Mick

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:20 am »

Oh yes, and finally got to the bottom of what the black piping is that runs up the foremast of the "Smuts".

Hi Neil

Glad you got that sorted - I spent some time looking for a better view of it - failed miserably - enjoyed searching though. O0

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #467 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:01 am »

All I can really say is that it just gets better & better, you can teach me & build my boats any time. I am building the Model Slipway Tamar right now how would you like to take a months holiday & help out, room & board free, LOL. I have been watching, its just that I have not been posting very much.Thanks again Neil, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #468 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:05 am »

All I can really say is that it just gets better & better, you can teach me & build my boats any time. I am building the Model Slipway Tamar right now how would you like to take a months holiday & help out, room & board free, LOL. I have been watching, its just that I have not been posting very much.Thanks again Neil, Mick B.
I'd lover to Mick, but my daughter would never let me go...she gets painc attacks if I want to go to Loch Ness for a weekend, lol.......by the way, nice to hear from you again.......had thought you were off on a long cruise or something by your abscense, lol.

Yes Dave.......I contacted Beaumarris Lifeboat stationand spoke to the son of the coxs'n who had served on her...he also was a crewman on the Smuts, and he has been very helpfull indead, both with his super knowledge of the boat, and with photos...........we really are blessed as modellers when people like Glyn can put themselves out for people that they have never met.....I am always very appreciative of such kind hearted people.
and Mick F..........yes, any time old mate........will see you next at Blackpool.
neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »

The fun's about to start.............cost me a small fortune at Halfords this morning.
That's the trouble with building three boats at the same time, lol

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Certainly a good collection there Neil.
As you know,I am trying to convert the 47 foot Watson I have, which was built as the "Margaret"  ON 947, somewhat wrongly  with an integral rudder, into a 46.9inch Watson, "The Guy and Clare Hunter" ON 926. You will know, having replaced the rudder with the correct type for me, that the original paintwork was inevitably damaged, so I will have to do a respray. Which type and colour of paint would you suggest please?
 OK for all the purists, I know there IS a difference between the two Lifeboats, but I am going for "modellers Licence", and will get around it, mainly the different type of rudder.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #471 on: April 23, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »

I would, as suggested to me this morning, use Ford Galaxy Blue for this boat which is a later boat......mine are a lighter blue and for those I'm using Ford Royal Blue, and I'm not sure twhen the change came, but Ford Galaxy blue is the concensus for more modern lifeboats .
neil

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #472 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »

Hello Neil please excuse me for butting in, but a message for Mick (Irishcarguy) - I've an M.S. Tamar to build too - but I can't find your log? {-) {-) {-)

Thanks neil butting out now. ;)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »

that's alright Tony....no probs.......I don't think Mick ( Irishguy) had made a build blog thread......that's why you can't find it.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

Mick's too busy whittling brass to post a build log - he's bought that much the world price has risen.

Dave
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 40   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.