Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 322623 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #750 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »

nope, haven't found it yet Kenny...............I did try using the old spare one with the broken rear screen but it has a fault, and will only take one shot at a time before I have to charge the batteries again..........must be a massive short in it somewhere..................and I can't get close up's decent enough with my mobile phone.................sorry guys.................will be a catch up soon I hope.
neil.

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

Starting to fret....I loaned the man my camera 10 hours ago, and he has,nt posted anything yet.   I hope he has,nt lost it.....Rod {-) {-)
trawlerman

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »

Well matey........just for you........proof that it hasn't been pawned for my next fix,  %% %% %% %% %% %%

started off yesterday by glasing all the port light outer and innners...........I cut the glazing from some old clear plastic that I tend to keep from the kids birthday and christmas pressies.............and cut the circles using a compass cutter...........the discs were pressed into the ports and then I back filled them with a little clear 2 part epoxy adhesive to seal them all up.
finally all the ports were glued into the pre cut holes using cyano.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #753 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16:28 pm »

now we have a lot of happy people....another lesson in boatbuilding from Coxn Neil. Thanks for lending him the camera Rod, is it insured for loss or damage?
Neil, remind me to give you one of my RNLI FLOATING KEYRINGS,so you can attach it to any other camera,in case you lose it overboard,I suspect this is what happened to your last one!
Another nice set of photos,as usual.
Mick F

PS if you are going to get the gale force winds  we have just had down here,with worse to come,you had better batten down the hatches!!!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »

cheers for the early weather warning Mick.............my batches are hattened, and workshop closed down for the night.
cheers.........mind you, if the roof blows off, then the dust will be no more %% %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »

the next set of shots are some pics of the smaller fittings that go to fine detail the models........."coat hooks" for hanging the binoculars in the cabins, hathets and axes, knives, chart tubes etc, etc.
but before that  the inner port opening covers have been fitted where visible in the boats.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #756 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »

And finally a few deck details have been added........chocks for lifebelts, hand grab rails at the stern of the two Watsons, plus fairleads and  I think you can just see the fore samson post and Mast crutch on the Smut's bow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #757 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

Today, I was informed of a few items for the aft cabin of the "Smuts" by my guru..........a steel box for holding the line throwing equipement, a box for holding the lines/rockets etc, and an open pigeon hole type locker for holding flairs.

The latter was to be split into 16 pigeon holes.......I had a locker that I had made earlier that I thought would do for the rockets and lines to go under the starboard bench, aft cockpit, and the steel box will be made from a block of obeche, but the pigeon hole locker, I had to scratch from plasticard, using a "carcasse" of 1.0mm plasticard, with an inner set of interlocking 0.8mm card to make the pigeon holes.

Secondly was the making of the mizzen masts from 6.0mm dowel and resin cast brackets and base plates to hold both masts in place at their set angles.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #758 on: June 09, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »

Have been doing a lot of painting of fittings today, and added the samson posts with cleats to the boats as one, but realised from a comment my Guru made yesterday in email to me that I hadn't included the "explosives boxes".those containing the line throwing gun, and rockets for line throwing...........so made these this afternoon.........from memory of seeing the Anne Letitia Russell, the gun box was red and the under seat locker for rockets and lines was painted grey......both had haspe and staples with padlocks.............and I always think that those little bits of detail always add a certain authenticity and interest level.
When the paint hardens tomorrow I'll label them "Danger Explosives".

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #759 on: June 10, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »

Been fitting out the fore cabins with the oil tanks and hand pumps, gratings, bases for the samson posts and any other little bits and pieces inc. chart tubes and even hooks to hang the binoculars and megaphone on.........all add to the interest.

And lastly I'm glad my 13 year old daughter is a better spell checker than I or my computer are........was merrily applying the lettering to the grey rocket boxes and had gotten to the last box and the last E of the last word when she looked over my shoulder just befor she went to bed, and said
..............." Da-aaaaad!!! ( you know the way they do when they either want something or want to ask a question) "

"Ye-eeesssss!" I replied.

"isn't there supposed to be a "P" in explosives".

Duuuuuurrrrrrr!!!!!

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #760 on: June 10, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »

Such detail ! I just hope that when you put them on show,that you will point out the finer bits,as I am sure they will go largely un-noticed,and do deserve to be seen. three cheers for yor dorter too,for doing your spell checking, you are teaching her well to take the "P".
 superb work Neil,thank you for showing us.
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #761 on: June 10, 2012, 11:30:32 pm »

the lettering, by the way, is only my slant on things...........probably the boxes were totally void of such things but hey ho, what the hell................I'm building these for my pleasure, they are my boats, and I like the idea that the rockets and flare gun would be marked as such.
neil.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #762 on: June 11, 2012, 02:04:07 am »

Neil,

Am I correct in that the floral tabletop, image 012,  is also modellers license but for which boat  %) %) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #763 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:14 am »

I thought it'd make a nice addition to the coxs'ns table RR..........do you like it?..................the fairies in the bottom left corner are  a particularly nice addition.  O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

it's actually my mouse mat,.........no manly RNLI boats on a mat for me!!! %% %% %% %%

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #764 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:47 am »

would that be the Sugar Plum Fairy Neil? WoW this has brought to mind the image of you building your boats in a tutu !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #765 on: June 11, 2012, 01:27:49 pm »

You should never wish for something in haste mick.......you never know when it might materialise......lol.....

Never let it be said that I'm the shy retiring type........... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

My birthday/house warming bash in 1984.................I'm the handsome one on the right.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #766 on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:07 pm »

my flabber is gasted, oooogh cheeky!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #767 on: June 12, 2012, 07:55:39 am »

Well, it is regret that I have to say that my models will NOT  be ready for display at Etherow National Lifeboat in two weekend's time.
I have been working flat out and up to 10.00pm most nights and find that there is more to do than I thought.
I've also made a few cock ups over the past few days whilst rushing them and so have decided that by rushing them, the enjoyment of building is fastly disappearing..............so back to the level and speed that I normally work at..........hopwefully they'll be ready later in the summer.

Just to put things into perspective I haven't even ordered my 6 speed controllers yet, nor have I got any motors for them, and the last straw is I'm fast running out of oderless superglue and will have to wait for that to be delivered..........ceste la vie.......

neil.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #768 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:08 am »

Sometimes it's better to miss a deadline than to cut corners/rush

I for one am enjoying watching the build and am considering the purchase of one ehan they are ready
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #769 on: June 12, 2012, 08:48:30 am »

thanks..............I was beginning to get fed up, ( only because I was rushing)..........but after making the decision last night to hold back and take it slowly...........I feel much more relaxed about it all this morning.......even taken the time to hang out the washing on the Siegried line, {-)......something I find very therapeutic when stressed,  %% %% %% %% %%

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #770 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:11 am »

something I find very therapeutic when stressed, 
Therapy - try getting your old vinyl records out Neil - I happened to do that last week - I found some gems and some horrors too - took me back though and a great experience.

Vintage Lifeboat William Cantrell Ashley apperently saw it's first service in 45 years - something to do with the Duck breaking down during the Pirate festival at Albert Dock. I have no other details.

Dave

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #771 on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

Take your time Neil,there is no deadline really.I am sure if you took them as they are to Etherow,they would still be greatly admired.
Meanwhile, get your Barbie out,and some Beach boys records,then at least you would THINK it was summer.Be careful you dont set the Tutu alight though!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #772 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:06 am »

Take your time Neil,there is no deadline really.I am sure if you took them as they are to Etherow,they would still be greatly admired.
Meanwhile, get your Barbie out,and some Beach boys records,then at least you would THINK it was summer.Be careful you dont set the Tutu alight though!

It's beautiful and sunny up here....honestly.........got my funnels and vents drying on the back garden table.
as for the William Cantrell Ashley, Dave.........great news................she is a lovely boat........was wondering whether she was making her way up further north but she seems to have stopped in Liverpool for the summer.......is she owned locally then,
neil.......if she stays there I'll eb able to pop down and take some shots for when I get my Liverpool class kit off Dave Metcalf later this year.
Looking forward to that one very much.......very sad when I had to sell my prototype......but needed the dosh at the time..
neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #773 on: June 12, 2012, 11:12:36 am »

and as for taking a part finished boat to a show, Mick........never done that or even sailed a part finished boat.........would ( to me that is) be like taking a cake mix to a W I meeting for the judges to look at, anticipating what it tasted like once baked, {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #774 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:42 pm »

Well, I've got over my hissy fit from yesterday.......nothing seemed to go right and I realised that I was not going to get the models finished for a show in two weekend's time which is devoted soley to RNLI and other SAR modelsand I was a little upset.
I started off by making ( or trying to) the wind/spray screens for the three boats.
when I made the Anne Lettitia Russell and ( I think) the Liverpool class boat I made the surrounds to the screens from "U" shaped brass extrusion, and it worked well...........but yesterday, after spending hours cutting, mitreing and then surrounding the screens with the brass.............it looked.................well s****, is the only word I can discribe it with.

So I re cut all the plastic screens, and decided to trim the edges with black vynil sticky tape..........the next disaster.......and by this time I was getting a little persisted off........as the adhesive on the vynil wasn't strong enough to hold the tape to the screen..................

so, I went back to basics, and decided to use my tried and tested double sided sticking tape that I use to stick windows and framed to superstructures.
I stuck this to the adhesive on the sticky back vynil and then stuck the vynil to the screens..........partial success but the tape still was having a tendancy to lift from the screens...........so in the end I put all the screens between two layers of conti boards and stuck 3 large car batteries on top to weigh them down, and brought the whole thing in doors to sit for a couple of days..........hopefully the vynil will get fed up trying to seperate and stay stuck......if not I'll then try the whole thing again but use black paper and double sided tape...........now that whole excercise took me the best part of yesterday without probable success................so you can now imagine why I was fed up last night.
Today have been spraying vents and other little jobs.....but that's another story.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.