Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resin parts??  (Read 3058 times)

NickKK

Resin parts??
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:40 am »

Any one know where I can get resin dive planes etc from ... I have a revel gato and a u-boat to build and am thinking the plastic parts in the kit are a little too flimsy ?

Appologies if this is in the wrong section ..

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Resin parts??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:10:23 am »

For the Revell Gato, a resin and metal upgrade pack for R/C is available here- http://www.caswellplating.com/models/gato.html

You don't mention what u-boat you have, is it the Revell Type VII? If so same supplier- http://www.caswellplating.com/models/rviic.html

If you fancy having a go at scratchbuilding, lexan makes very rugged dive planes, and a good cheap source of thin lexan is old CD/DVD's

Davy1

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »

The generic name for Lexan is polycarbonate and yes it's a really tough, useful material for our hobby.
(I have tried using CD's without much success - they were too brittle. Maybe they are not all polycarbonate?)

NickKK

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »

So no one in the uk is doing resin parts for these two kits ?  I might try making them myself then, I looked at the cost of ordering them from caswell, the postage with it ... I can probably make all the parts for both subs in one casting ...

And yes it is a revell type VIIC

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

I've not heard of anyone making upgrade parts for these boats in the UK.

I think most people find the kit supplied parts adequate in strength, just adding metal shafts for a working model.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:10 pm »

Nick...have a word with Mark at MMB, if you send him what you need remade he'll probably be able to make resin reproductions of them, c/w the operating rods moulded in.

Rich

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

Go to your local signmakers & get some scraps of perspex & cut them to your size, Nemesis

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »

Perspex/PMMA will chip easily when the planes are tapered at the ends, far more brittle than lexan/polycarbonate.

NickKK

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »

I think I'll go talk to Mark at MMB ... first ... Thanks guys for the advice.

Albion

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:39:39 am »

I had concerns more about the fragility of the frames around the planes, resin parts wouldnt really help much, so mine is like this

NickKK

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »

I really want resin dive planes because the thin plastic ones flex a bit and getting the metal in to the plastic to attach them to the control rods dosen't look right. I'm not really worried about the occasional knock to the resin guards, it's more about having the stronger attachment points for rudder, dive and hydro planes on the parts themselves. If I can find brass P frames that are the same scale I'll use them, but otherwise it's resin ...

As a note to this I Emailed MMB   and I'm going to send all the parts I decide I want to him for molding ...

Thanks guys for the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.