Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What else can go wrong ?  (Read 2212 times)

bobk

What else can go wrong ?
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »

"What else can go wrong ?"    I texted my wife after a chain of disasters today.  I should not have written that should I ?
The plan was to do some household stuff, then fit a flexible rail shower curtain 'booth' in the 'shipyard' for use with the new airbrush.  Surely not a lot to go wrong, fitting is a doddle.  Screw fittings to ceiling, clip on rail, slide on curtain hooks.
I cleared the workbench, and slid the half completed new boat under the wall mounted bookcase at the end of the bench  for safety.

Next I put the kettle on, then went out to the garage for my power screwdriver, not normally a shipyard tool.  Coming back in, the Yale type key snapped off in the back door.  Whilst trying toi extract the stub of the key with tiny pliers I omitted to notice I had put the wrong burner on the cooker, so instead of a whistling kettle there was a nasty smell of burning frying pan and more smoke than a cheap ESC waving goodbye.

That's when I texted her, promising to buy her a new frying pan and plastic fish slice.  I deeply regret having tempting fate with that particular phrase at the end of my apology.

Suddenly it got much worse
I was just clipping the curtain rail to the ceiling fittings when the previously ultra secure bookcase decided to shed its heavy duty cavity wall fixings and collapse, complete with my collection of rather heavy reference manuals and books.  As the whole lot when into gravitational collapse it flashed through my mind - too late - what I had slid underneath for 'safety' - My boat !

I have quite a bit of damage to repair.  It took the full brunt, stoving in part of the main deck.  I now know how sick parrots feel.
 <:(  <:(  <:(  <:(

MikeA

Re: What else can go wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »

got any pics of the damage?  :o maybe a lesson can be learnt  %)

bobk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:13:32 pm »

With my luck today I would probably drop the camera on it next  :o
Hopefully repairable, but not easy.  Luckily the delicate superstructure sub assemblies were elsewhere.

MikeA

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:00 pm »

dont worry about it were all done it. To keep my boats out of the way while drying etc i store them on top of the wall mounted kitchen cabinet. Anyway i was taking my trawler down and the superstructure fell off. 7ft fall onto a tiled kitchen floor. One piece turned into a 100.  >>:-(

bobk

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »

Ouch !  That is really nasty.  I know how you must have felt.  Maybe workshops should include a scale Lutine Bell for such disasters ?
Crawling around desperately looking for small residual particles after a 124 GeV collision, can I change my screen name to "Bosun Higgs"?

raflaunches

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »

Know exactly how you feel

My poor HMS Coventry Ww2 cruiser is cursed with bad luck like that. <:(
It has been dropped twice in less than two months, one in my barrack block entrance where the door smashed it out of my hands (I was still finding bits three days later) and the second at the Deans marine open day in September where the wind spun it around and fell off the table!
You really require persistence to keep going, I'm expecting it to sink on its first voyage!
Hope you manage to repair it.

Nick B

MikeA

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »

I managed to repair mine no problem. Im a lot more careful now though.

bobk

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

Main deck was cracked through and separated from the hull both sides.  Epoxy clamps and masking tape later, Damage Control is on the case.  But so frustrating.

Nick:  It was blowing half a hurricane up at Deans in September.  Hope you managed to restore your Coventry OK.

MikeA

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »

Did you swear :o I hope you boat building skills are better than your shelf building ones  {-) If i ever visit your house ill take precaution and stand in the middle of the room.

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »

Bob sorry to hear your project has been "shelved"  I hope it is fixable without too much of a problem.

Nil desperandum carborundum

Geoff

bobk

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:41 am »

No I didn't swear Mike, just a stunned sick silence you could cut with an Xacto.  Not sure if anywhere in the 'dockyard' is safe right now, and to think my next project is a submarine ( a device that takes six months to create a few seconds of bubbles ! ).

Seriously, repairs are underway - so its not shelved Geoff, just a while behind schedule.
Bookshelf remounted, replacing the expanding cavity cage nuts with butterfly nut bolts and 5 ton epoxy.
In hundreds of years time archaeologists will marvel at the bookshelf long after the rest of the house has gone.   O0

Spook

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:44 pm »

Oh dear. I'm sorry. I tried so hard not to laugh, but I think a little one may have escaped. I'm very relieved to know that I'm not the only one to have been cr@pped on by the great buffalo in the sky :-)

raflaunches

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »

Hi Bob

Managed to rebuild the bows using fibreglass and filler on my Coventry, just got to re-lay  part of the deck and she is ready for a respray.
Fingers crossed that nothing else will go wrong   :-))
Good luck with your rebuild, hopefully nothing else will go wrong for you.

Nick B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.