Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new build ICE BREAKER  (Read 3810 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
new build ICE BREAKER
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »

I fancy building a new boat , and am thinking about an ice breaker .
Now any one who has seen my builds will know that detail is not my speciallity, so the end build will have to be functional
for the pond when it gets iced over , and as there was a covering last weekend i will have to get a move on.
So what will i build , i want stabillity and power ,
i was thinking about a springer shape with sides that also act as supports at the front , plenty of weight so it has plenty of momentum .
but this will depend on further research and ideas.
Whatever the out come it will have to be strong enough to cope with breaking real ice .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: new build ICE BREAKER
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

I think that a springer shape would spead the load on the ice. I could be wrong but i feel that a normal slanted bow would be best to ride onto the ice and break it using momentum and the boats weight.John.

jimmy2310

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »

Portside, how about one of these,

Jimmy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:28:19 pm »

One of our members uses his girl class tug to break ice. Ramming the ice is sufficient if it is quite thin 1/4 inch or so. Thicker ice requires getting the tug bow on the ice and the weight then breaking the ice. Up to about an inch OK, over that your tug is  stranded!
Don't Assume Check

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »

Now that's an ice breaker Jimmy , I have had time to think (bad idea) and i am thinking along the lines as something about 32" long and 9" beam,
with a draft , well that depends on what the overall weight is .
But i plan to make the bow with a solid keel reinforced with an aloy strip and styreen filler reinforced with GF , i can then fit two 12v 7ah batt's up front ,
this will then give me the strength and weight up front to break the ice  :-)) .
As for the stern i plan to fit a 70mm prop onto a , well i dont know exactly what type of motor it is but it's bigger than a 900 can and it runs well on 12v.
One of the problems i have encountered before is ice getting around the prop area , and although i cant eliminate this i hope to reduce it by leaving the hull stern sides un-cut
that is not following the sweep up to the stern , but i will cut lightning holes to allow water to pass through, i will post pics promise  O0 .
And with a single rudder , as a kort would only be damaged if ice went in .
I have no idea what to put on top , but that will come in time .
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »

Well the build has started , and the hull is taking shape .
I have cut the sides out and the vent holes , i have also glued and pinned strips on the inside for the bottom and the top .
the bulkhead has been glued to the bow keel and a sloping deck fitted the resulting wedge of keel will be trimmed off later .
I have re-used a home made shaft, tube and coupling for the drive with a 3 blade 70mm brass prop and one of the big can motors  laid in the motor box.
With the sides glued and pinned to the bulk head and the stern fitted i cut a piece of ply for the bottom , this was glued and pinned in place and left for a few hours with weights holding the ply to the curveof the sides.
The motor mount was made next , this been a simple piece of 9mm ply with strips of 9mm ply to stop the motor rocking , this was glued in place where it lined up where the prop tube exited the hull .
This mount also acted as a battery holder , keeping them on either side of the hull , the mount was glued into the bottom of the hull and screwed in place.
To hold the motor in the mount i used a piece of strapping , i have also fitted a skeg to support the shaft (not pictured).
More to come.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:27:15 pm »

the build has come a bit further now with the hull assembled and the bow built with a reinforced alloy keel .
daz

farrow

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:45 pm »

The TID tug has a good bow for the job, I had mine out sometime ago in thin ice and it crunch out my mates ice bound boat no problem.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 10:13:34 pm »

Interesting side skegs on your build.
Those should help keep ice out of the propeller.

Here is Kevin and Nigel breaking ice in Burnaby BC, Canada last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stBnC9jTlyE

Nigel's freighter actually does clean job of it if the ice isn't too thick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoyXOEyg74&feature=plcp&context=C31eaef8UDOEgsToPDskL8_yXb_n9uz99JMTsBuGA4

:-)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »

thank you Umi , the vids are great , epecially the tanker , you have given me an idea with my barge,
i just have to put 2 12v 7ah batt's in and not the ususual 6 , and keep them at the rear.

daz

farrow

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »

Are you going to strengthen the bow against ice penetration, I say that as my mates model made of Balsa hit a thin ice flow and the ice cut through the hull before it became ice bound.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:10 pm »

As with most of my builds i dont think penetration by ice or any other thing on the pond will affect the water resistance'
as the bow on both the ice breaker and the barge are solid polystyreen with a full ply keel , and they are covered with PVA / paper
and GF resin / matting , in other words bomb proof .
And although i cant go into that last quote any more  , i have an unused barge that i may put to the test  %) .

The barge has ploughed through some ice before , without damage so i know it works .
I have now glassed and put a bit of paint on the hull , red bottom and black above water with a toothed belt fendering at the paint join (hides the sin's).
I have also fitted the decks with the cut outs for access and as an added extra have installed a working winch , dont know why but i have :-)) ,
this will be able to winch from either the bow or stern .
daz

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.