Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Submarine as 1st time project  (Read 1981 times)

gjdorking

Submarine as 1st time project
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:55:35 pm »

Hello everyone,

HELP !!!!! Please.

I am looking for advice on my 1st model boat prtoject and fancy attempting a Submarine, but am i being to ambitious ? Your comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Glyn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Submarine as 1st time project
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:15:49 pm »

Hi Glyn,

Do you have a budget in mind?
What modeling skills / experience do you have?

Martin  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve*mac

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

very tricky Q, I have now built about a dozen sub's mostly from kits and a few scratch..

1. What type of sub appeals, Modern Nuclear shapes or older WW2 U boats etc

2. Budget.. you can buy a cheap vac form hulled thing with a basic dive system or a wonderful fibre glassed hull with piston tanks...

3. Your Ability.. probably the main factor, be honest with yourself.. how good is your electrickery..

In my honest opinion one of the best kits available at the moment is the Engel Lafayette, I have one, and produced the article for MMI a few years back, but the 60's Nuclear shape may not "do it for you" but it has good english instructions and very easy to get trimmed and running correctly..

Capricorn

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:36:52 am »

Glyn, Did you ever get a sub?  I've never built one but will some day.  Steve, I see they list the lafayette for 798 Euro's I'm not certain but that's something like $1200.  That's a lot, and you still need more, like radio stuff, battery, other electronics, adds up.  I imagine for that much it is an awfully nice kit, can you recommend a good first one that's much less costly than that or is that what it's going to end up one way or another?  Cap
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.