Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Type 202 in 1/32 scale  (Read 3799 times)

Mike_K

My Type 202 in 1/32 scale
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:18:11 am »

Hello all,
Here are a few snaps of my Gordon Lewis type 202 post war German coastal uboat.  It took me a long time (started assembly in 1993!) to get it together as I am slow and very easily distracted.  I'll post details if anyone's interested.  This past weekend I painted it and will add the details and finish it.

Anyone know what's become of Gordon?  We used to correspond via Post very frequently but have since lost touch.

Mike

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Type 202 in 1/32 scale
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:01 pm »

:) hello Mike...I am Interested, post some more pics as you go along please...what dive system are you using ?. Never heard of Gordon Lewis I'm afraid. I always feel our side of the hobby, is always under represented the more pics the better...its an unusual model Well Done. ;D

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:06:59 pm »

does any one know if they are still available? i'll add it to my list of wants. looks relay good.
carry on the good work
colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:18:53 am »

Norbert Brueggen has the moulds for this boat now-

http://www.modelluboot.de/KITS/Schuerer_Ordner/SchuererE.html

Andy

Mike_K

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:03:25 pm »

Ah, Andy has beaten me to the punch.  Norbert has not just the molds but it looks as if he has improved them.  Appears that he has increased the size of the sternplanes and modified the hull to accept his bayonet ring mount as well as opening and strengthening the area below the Kort nozzle.  The sternplanes on mine are pretty ineffective on the surface.  I haven't done enough submerged running to comment on their effectiveness while submerged.  I use a water pump filling a 500ml IV bag for ballast.  Here's a link to a 2:59 video of Friedrich's maiden: 

I have the first coats of paint on the hull and have yet to detail the sail.  When done I'll certainly post more pics.  Follow the link to see some photos of Gordon's finished type 202.  I've got a lot of work to do to match his work.  http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?t=2619&highlight=

Mike

Mike_K

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:40:19 pm »

I've done a good bit of sanding and filling of the hull.  I'm using a dark grey primer which will also serve as the finish coat.  I won't use a sealer when it's done as I like the way primer weathers on a boat that gets used often.  It takes on a naturally weathered patina.  Starting to look the part.  I still have to work on the sail which is where the majority of the details are.  Following are two photos of Gordon's type 202 and one of mine in progress.  I have a long way to go to match his work.  I'll also post photos of the interior as soon as I finalize the layout and secure the lead shot ballast.

Mike

Mike_K

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:04:33 pm »

I forgot to note that I intend to simulate welding lines using thin CA left to air dry.  I've tested this method and is seems to really look the part and is of course hard as diamonds when cured.  I've posted three photos from the Sonar site of another type 202 in which you can just make out the weld panel lines.  I don't know who owns it.  I only have a very small number of photos of the real thing so detailing is a bit of an interpretive exercise!

Mike

Mike_K

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »

I have an idea to enclose the lead shot ballast inside 1/2 inch copper plumbing pipe of the correct length and then secure the lead filled pipes to the lowest point of the pressure hull.  I'd prefer to do something along these lines rather than pour the shot into the hull and fill with epoxy.  That's too permanent for this application.  My thoughts are to make it somewhat modular to make it easier to modify in the future.

Thoughts?

mike

Mike_K

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 03:45:04 am »

I have an idea to enclose the lead shot ballast inside 1/2 inch copper plumbing pipe of the correct length and then secure the lead filled pipes to the lowest point of the pressure hull.  I'd prefer to do something along these lines rather than pour the shot into the hull and fill with epoxy.  That's too permanent for this application.  My thoughts are to make it somewhat modular to make it easier to modify in the future.

Thoughts?

Mike

Mike_K

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »

I like the new site.  Easy to navigate and looks cool.  Been working on the 202 a bit lately.  Got sidetracked recently by a Hawker Hurricane build.  Posted a video compilation on the SubPirates site and YouTube.  I'm browsing on my phone now so I'll update here later.
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.