Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Air brush kit, best to buy  (Read 8568 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Air brush kit, best to buy
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:21 am »

Hi I see on the forum that most of you use spray guns/air brushes to paint your models. Could I please have some advice on what best to buy (long lasting & top quality) & how to use it properly for the best results. Also if you recommend a unit/kit what is the best paint etc. to use. I have no experience with this type of kit.Thank you. Mick B.
Mick B.

TailUK

Re: Air brush kit, best to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:57 am »

Hi I see on the forum that most of you use spray guns/air brushes to paint your models. Could I please have some advice on what best to buy (long lasting & top quality) & how to use it properly for the best results. Also if you recommend a unit/kit what is the best paint etc. to use. I have no experience with this type of kit.Thank you. Mick B.

I bought a Badger 200 Bottom Feed Brush back in the 1970s and thats still going strong.  It's a single action brush which works with either a jar or the top feed cup I made myself.  I honestly don't think it can be bettered as a "first" airbrush.  I've sprayed most kinds of paint through it mostly enamels and model acrylics and it's handled everything including household emulsion.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:50:33 am »

hi mick, I also have a couple of those cheapish (about $30 au) spray guns with the pot on the bottom, they are easy to use and clean, you can use any paint you like through them the trick is in the thinning of the paint, Ive had excellent results with automotive thinners based paints aswell as humbrol and mr hobby, I even use one for spraying release agent when fibreglassing.
The only thing you have to watch is that some have glass pots which will last forever and some have plastic pots which should be thrown away and a glass pot sourced,the good ones down here are revell brand and holding brand, but I think most major manufacturers use the same design and just stick their name on them, I have also noticed that the ones with the plastic pots seem to come from alot of discount auto places.
More expensive airbrushes are great for precison control but I find them more suited to more artistic or graphical work (also great for fine weathering effects)
One other thing is the cheapy ones dont require alot of pressure, I used to use my spare tyre with an adapter.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:10 am »

I should also ask are you only intending to spray small items or larger areas like hulls ?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:16:10 am »

Hi Mermod I will be spraying big items as well as small. I have a brand new Makita compressor at 125 lbs per sq/inch at my house & of course the shop one is 15hp & 18CF per min.I have never done any spray painting except from rattle cans & I am hit & miss with them. LOL.Thanks again for the advice any you can give will help. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:59:18 am »

If youre running a decent compressor It mght be worth looking at small automotive touch up gun , I use mine alot and if you go for gravity fed (pot on top) you can use up the last little drop of paint instead of the ones that leave a bit in the bottom, even a full size gravity fed gun is very useful and you dont have to spend a fortune to get a half decent one, the one I have comes with both a 1.4 nozzle for general purpose and a 2mm nozzle for thicker stuff like house paint and gel coat.
Now that I think about it all the pictures of models ive posted on mayhem have been sprayed with my full size gun.
As I said before the trick is in the thinning of the paint, whatever your decision feel free to ask me any questions along the way, Ive been spraying single pack ,2 pack and triple pack kitchens and shopfittings for quite a while now.

ACTion

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »

Mick
I have one of these for larger areas. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Badger-250-4-Mini-Spray-Gun-Airbrush-Paint-Set-/330654527425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc8bafc1
It's essentially the cheapo 250 external mix job but with a larger head that takes 4oz jars, so that you don't keep having to stop and refill the jar. I can only echo what's been said about cleaning these; you MUST do it thoroughly after EVERY session, not just once in a while.
Dave M

andyn

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »

I have a brand new Makita compressor at 125 lbs per sq/inch at my house

Might be a bit too much... I usually spray at around 20psi {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:11:48 pm »

Thank you guys, keep the information coming ( I NEED it)Nice to see you are still upright Dave, I thought the Birthday party would have you horizontal for at least a week at your age, LOL. (Dave was how old ? a couple of days ago) Mick B.
Mick B.

CF-FZG

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »

I have an Iwata Revolution TR2 - excellent dual action airbrush :-))

Unless you're going to be spraying huge models, I'd leave the touch-up guns alone.

Most good airbrushes are capable of spraying decent size areas, and you tend to get a much better finish by putting thinner coats down than the touch up guns will in inexperienced hands.

As for paints, several types/brands to choose from;

Primer - any good automotive primer.
Paint - Acrylics, (most seem okay) - if you can get a colour chart for mixing then Warbird Colours do a very good water based paint - then there's Klass Kote, an (IIRC) epoxy based paint, it's also about the best clearcoat I've heard of.

Mark.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »

Thank you Dave, That's an easy buy from where I live, I have added it to my favourites & will look into it after Xmas. Only a week to go before Maui here I come. Mick B.
Mick B.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:37 pm »

Depends how much you want to pay and whether you want quality. Badger are ok but if you are going to be air brushing spraying hulls and the like, I'd suggest something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/370268372610?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5635b6fe82

You get a quality compressor with auto start \ stop, its piston driven and comes with 2 airbrushes. Price is £79.50 including P&P to most of UK. If you look at the sellers shops, he does a similar deal with one airbrush.

Also, if you use the following search 'air brush kit compressor" on fleabay, you see lots of options.

As I said, it depends if you want to buy quality. A badger may suit but how long will it last?

ACTion

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »

As I said, it depends if you want to buy quality. A badger may suit but how long will it last?
I've had both of mine for about nineteen years (bought just before G-S#2 was born, and he's now 18). Clean 'em every time I use them and store them in a decent box in between. I think Mick already has a compressor.
DM

andyn

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 11:36:56 pm »

I've had both of mine for about nineteen years (bought just before G-S#2 was born, and he's now 18). Clean 'em every time I use them and store them in a decent box in between. I think Mick already has a compressor.
DM

Exactly, you get what you pay for... I spent £125 on my Revell Flex and it shows, compared to the cheap one I was handling today... I though it was gonna snap just using it. There was even swarf from milling the slots out still in it...

Buy the best you can afford, I've always beleived in that....

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 09:21:34 am »

If you haven't seen it Mick, a read of the "airbrush tutorial" composed and presented on here by John - aka Oldiron is a must. I found it an absolute boon - put a lot of his advice into practice and achieved some very pleasing results quite quickly.

Kind regards, Tony.

P.S. I all ready had an Iwata external mix brush but bought the Badger internal mix as recommended, about £45 new off ebay ............... BRILLIANT!

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »

Wish to inform you that the Jerry C posts on this link previous to this one are not me. I always sign mine Jerry. Be obliged if the poster could contact Martin and ask him to change posters avatar for his own. No offence taken, or anything. The posts seem to be good advice. Must be a result of melt down?
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 12:21:47 pm »

mmmmmmmmmmmm Jerry C.........now I re-read the previous postings....I see an alternative mind set or construction in the composition of the text  >>:-(
Over the past year or so I have received a few semi critical PM's asking why I finish my posting with my Christian name?
Possibly your experience is a good reason to maintain this for all members ................... O0  .........
I do not understand how a WEB site database can mis-match or alter links between the subject poster and another <*< ................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »

Hi Jerry,

This could be very difficult to trace.   {:-{    The IP address is located in the African area and is different from yours and the computer has found that yours is the next best alternative. ???  Weird or what.

It could be anyone so we need the poster to notify us please.

I like Derek's idea of signing the letter as it's something I always do.  Sort of personalises it, don't you think. ?

Always helpful
The lovely

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »

Derek, hi, if you trace my S. L. Wear thread back to the beginning you'll see it appears that Greg 9 started it. This occurred during a melt down. Mods were able to restore later avatars. I personally can't see why using a Christian name (or given name) is a problem. Or surname for that matter I'm not a secret. I exist. I'm even in the phone book, electoral register etc. Why is everyone full of fear?
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 01:35:49 pm »

Thanks, Kenny appreciate it.
Jerry.

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »

Hi again Ken. I just looked up all my posts. It appears that any post number greater than 295 is actually by Mermod. Is that anyhelp?
Jerry.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:40 pm »

Derek, hi, if you trace my S. L. Wear thread back to the beginning you'll see it appears that Greg 9 started it. This occurred during a melt down. Mods were able to restore later avatars. I personally can't see why using a Christian name (or given name) is a problem. Or surname for that matter I'm not a secret. I exist. I'm even in the phone book, electoral register etc. Why is everyone full of fear?
Jerry.

Have you noticed how many Dave's there are. O0 O0 O0 %% %% %%
The server is about to blow a fuse. %% %% %% {-) {-) {-)
Think we should revert to numbers so the forum won't have so many melt downs with all the Dave's, Micks etc etc  {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 09:15:54 pm »

?????? Bump

Surprised no one has pointed to this gem of information.
Have a read a lot of good stuff here. you could also PM the author
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27859.msg284381.html#msg284381
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.