Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK loss, Aussie gain?  (Read 3726 times)

brianB6

UK loss, Aussie gain?
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:33 am »

The Royal Australian Navy now has enhanced amphibious warfare capability with the commissioning in Fremantle today of Australia’s newest warship, the Bay Class Landing Ship HMAS Choules.

Choules, a former Royal Fleet Auxiliary which served the Royal Navy under the name Largs Bay, was renamed after Chief Petty Officer Claude Choules, Australia’s last surviving World War I veteran. Mr. Choules passed away in his home city of Perth in May 2011, aged 110.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: UK loss, Aussie gain?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:06 am »

Yes, we were stupid to sell it!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:15:26 am »

At least it didn't go to our 'friends' in South America this time.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RaaArtyGunner

Re: UK loss, Aussie gain? plus one
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »

It has also been announced today, by Minster For Defence, that we are buying another one.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »

WHAT!!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

sailor1

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:20 pm »

Here is some info what the R.A.N Aus Gov has done about Ships. 

Additional ship to be purchased for humanitarian and disaster relief capability
13 December 2011

SOV WindermereMinister for Defence Stephen Smith and Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today announced the next step in the Government’s plan to improve the Royal Australian Navy’s amphibious capability – the purchase of an additional humanitarian and disaster relief ship.

The Government has authorised the purchase of a ship to add to the Royal Australian Navy’s current amphibious ships, HMAS Choules and HMAS Tobruk.

The purchase of a third ship will ensure that Defence has the humanitarian and disaster relief capability required between now and the arrival of the Landing Helicopter Dock Ships in the middle of the decade.

Defence is currently leasing the Subsea Operations Vessel (SOV) Windermere to provide additional capability to the Navy over the coming cyclone season.

Detailed decisions on the purchase of the additional ship will be taken in the near future.

The third ship will primarily be used to transport troops and supplies in support of humanitarian and disaster relief operations domestically and in the region.

A commercial off-the-shelf vessel will be sought so that minimal modifications will be needed allowing the ship to enter into service in the course of 2012.

The vessel will be manned under a civilian crewing arrangement.

Action taken this year
When Cyclone Yasi hit North Queensland in February this year, Defence did not have any amphibious ships available to assist.

At that time Mr Smith and Mr Clare made no secret of their disappointment with the state of the Royal Australian Navy’s amphibious ships.

Since that time the Government has taken a number steps to rectify the problem with the Navy’s amphibious fleet.

First, in April the Government purchased the RFA Largs Bay from the British Government.

The ship was today commissioned into the Royal Australian Naval fleet as HMAS Choules.

Second, work was conducted on HMAS Tobruk to return it to sea.

Third, in order to maintain the Navy’s amphibious capability over the past 12 months, ships have been leased to supplement the existing capability. SOV Windermere has been leased to provide extra support this cyclone season.

Fourth, to ensure such a gap in capability does not happen again, the Government also commissioned Mr Paul Rizzo to develop a plan to improve the maintenance and sustainment of our naval fleet.

That report was provided to the Government in July and the recommendations are now being implemented.

Current Amphibious capability if required
The Royal Australian Navy now has the following amphibious capability if required to provide humanitarian and disaster relief during the current cyclone season:

HMAS Choules
HMAS Tobruk
SOV Windermere – leased from P&O until 31 January 2012, with the option to extend to the end of February 2012
HMNZS Canterbury – under Australia’s agreement with New Zealand she could be made available as part of the joint Pacific-focused Ready Response Force, subject to any operational requirements in New Zealand, and
A number of Landing Craft, Heavy (LCH) boats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disqus LoginAbout DisqusLike Dislike
Glad you liked it. Would you like to share?

Facebook

Twitter

No thanks
Sharing this page …

Thanks! Close

Login Add New Comment
 Post as …
 Sort by popular now Sort by best rating Sort by newest first Sort by oldest first Showing 0 comments
M Subscribe by email S RSS
blog comments powered by Disqus
Retrieved from "http://www.navy.gov.au/Additional_ship_to_be_purchased_for_humanitarian_and_disaster_relief_capability"
Keyword
News Coming to the buoy

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Argentina
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:58:21 pm »

At least it didn't go to our 'friends' in South America this time.

We do it for you  :embarrassed: The French Navy Foudre is on way to be sold to Chilian Navy  ...

http://www.netmarine.net/bat/tcd/foudre/caracter.htm

Not sold to Argentina  %% to help them to re-invads Falklands.  In a couple of years ago another landing ship the Ouragan was ready to be sold to Argentina and then at last minute it was problem with asbestos as UE regulation ban the export "waste"  (as a ship containing asbestos is waste)

http://www.netmarine.net/bat/tcd/ouragan/photos.htm

Now the French navy sold the quite new Foudre because of the commissioning of the third  Mistral class http://www.netmarine.net/bat/tcd/mistral/caracter.htm

Last year I was aboard of the HMAS Manoora at Nouméa, she was just a non reliable old lady, at that time for the Croix du Sud jopint exercice the HMNZS Canterbury was also here : such a difference !

Xtian

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 08:05:51 am »

Looking at the photos there are no women on the ships I am not sailing with that lot. Mick B.
Mick B.

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 09:31:20 am »

Your eyesight must be limited if you cannot see the girls.  :}
The R.A.N. has no gender discrimination about serving on ships.
Try a re-run of "Patrol Boat" and see.  O0

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:39:04 am »

Brian I knew my eyesight was not that good, but then again I didn't know it was that bad either. I will reconsider joining but if I have to take a eyesight test I'm skunked. Mick B.
Mick B.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 11:05:33 am »

Mick,

Definitely gals on board as a Lieutenant Commander has admitted to spanking one onboard his ship  :o :o :o O0 O0 O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.