The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

HMS Macedonian

<< < (17/18) > >>

JerryTodd:
I began modeling a Brodie stove for Macedonian for 3D printing.The Brodie stove was the most common type on British warships till 1810, when the Lamb & Nicholson stove began taking over.Macedonian was launched in 1810, but I'm assuming the stove was requisitioned some time before, and was most likely a Brodie.
The 3D model was done in Anim8or, and a test print was made on my Elegoo Mars 3 printer.  Some items were too fine to print properly, or visibly, so I went back to the model and beefed up the details.
Hopefully the next print won't need any adjustment, though the upper chimney part may need to be stretched a bit to be tall enough, and reprinted.

JerryTodd:
Looking in Lavery's Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War I found a chart on page 198 (2006 edition) showing various stoves sizes for ships of different gun ratings.I adjusted the model to the sizes listed for a 38 gun ship, and printed it again.

ballastanksian:
What an interesting project! It reminds me of Warspite's build of a few years back. I noted your clever use of a modified Craft Knife (Stanley) blade, turning it into a profile scraper! (post #55)

I noted that your topic started in 2011 Jerry. I think that must hold the record for being the longest active topic on Mayhem?

Lovely work matey  :-))

derekwarner:
Unique special model Galley Cooks Jerry ....two beating their sweating brow  O0 .................

Family friends of ours purchased an old home complete with one of those huge two-tone 'creme & green enamelled coal-fired kitchen stoves'

Was the warmest part of the home...we all gathered around it as they are great heaters

Derek

JerryTodd:
I started Macedonian in October of 2011, but I started Constellation in February of 1999.  We moved and Constellation sat under a plastic sheet in the barn until 2008 by which time, I had moved a couple of times more before finally starting work on her again.Pride of Baltimore was started in November of 2010, and sat until September 2011, when I started planking the hull.
Macedonian, I'm sorry to say, tends to be at the lowest priority in my sketchy work schedule on these three models.  Besides them, I have a barkentine I haven't really started yet; a 100 year old pond yacht to restore, and a plastic kit of a WWII destroyer to do.  I had a Heller 1:100 Victory for a while, a kit I had dreamed of having when I was a teen, but I sent that one off with a young man to give his father.
The first boat I crewed on was a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack (sailing oyster dredging boat) built in 1905 named Minnie V (that's Vee, not 5)  She had a cast-iron two-eyed potbelly stove in the cabin that did a nice job heating our little home, as well as some canned goods now and then.
Several boats I've worked on had stoves that were characters unto themselves, but the stove that's always stuck in my memory was from my reenacting days doing American Civil War Union Cavalry.
One drenching rainy day at Piedmont Station Virginia, we rode up to the general store in town that had a covered porch, big double doors, and a 6 foot tall pot-belly stove in the middle of the place with chairs all around it.  It was a great place for a platoon of soggy Yankee (we were a Maine regiment) cavalry to warm up.  Ahh, sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a cigar, and drinking coffee from a tin cup.

Oh, the other brow-beater's actually toting a powder keg ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version